Mast Assembly

mikiek

Taking a break from decking, I have begun cutting and shaping the masts for Niagara. I'm using square boxwood strips, trimming them down and shaping them per the plans.

As a general rule, should I assemble the masts with fittings and metal work on the side and then install the completed mast to the boat?

Also, just wondering about the order of assembly. I have 4 of the mast parts shaped and ready. It's been real tempting to do the metal work, fittings, etc. and installing it all. I would really appreciate hearing from you guys on things like order of assembly, things to do , things NOT to do. Anything that might help me get it right the first time.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Mike,

The easiest way (and potentially least disaster prone way) is to do as much off ship with the masts as possible.  I and others have gone so far as to completely assemble them, run and rat the upper shrouds, attach the yards (with all their hardhare), etc. before stepping them.   In the end, it's up to you to sort out what works and what doesn't work for you.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)