GDM67

US Brig Eagle (1814) by GDM67 - 1:48 Scale - Scratch Built - Bodnar Practicum

Hi All,

I am now two years into the US Brig Eagle using the Gene Bodnar practicum.  I consider Gene to be one of the greats in the hobby today and his practicum leaves no regrets.

I like to build a couple of ships in tandem so I dont get bored.  Having just finished a POB Kitbashed Rattlesnake, I decided to start the HMS Naiad using Ed Tosti's Monograph (the log is posted on this site) and will continue with the US Brig Eagle.  I toy with just stopping in the admiralty sytle, but since I bought a Byrnes rope walk this year, I had better use it.  Otherwise I will be keel hauled by order of my Admiral...

The first half of my log is on Model Ship Builder.  I will share some photos below of how she sits today and moving forward, will now post on both sites. 

If you are interested in this build, I fully recommend it and am happy to consult for anyone who wants that.  The practicum, which is FREE, takes you through lofting and plan design, all the way to the finished product.  On my build, everything is from scratch, with the exception of the long guns.  Some day, I will get into casting, but for now I am focusing on the hull structure.  

The build is based on research done by Kevin Crisma from Texa A&M University and his Doctoral disseratation is available free frmo the website.  http://nautarch.tamu.edu/anth/abstracts/crisma.htm

post-3999-0-64049300-1452007174_thumb.jpgI'm going back a couple of years here...  This is an example of the lofted frame.  Now, I do all my frame lofting with DeltaCAD.  One of the things that makes this a great first scratch build is the simple curvature of the frames.  There is little tumble home and the frames are fairly thick for this lake warship.  

post-3999-0-54103200-1452006748_thumb.jpg

Here she sits with ceiling planks installed.  I am leaving the ship in a skeletal form with only a suggestion of planking and other structural supports.  The entire hull is of boxwood from D'Lumberyard. 

post-3999-0-77068100-1452006830_thumb.jpg

Capsized with the hull almost fully faired. Hours and hours of sanding and polishing...

post-3999-0-30019500-1452006941_thumb.jpgpost-3999-0-90206300-1452006942_thumb.jpgpost-3999-0-40062300-1452006944_thumb.jpg

Fast forward to today!  Next up is the bowsprit and rigging.  I will  go into more detail.  If you want to see the full painful log in excrutiating detail, it is on MSB.

More to come.  Thanks, Gary

post-3999-0-26070300-1452006885_thumb.jpg