Thanks for all the rope and blocks you have supplied to me. Still have some left.

As you mentioned to me at one of the past NRG conference that you would stop making parts as it is so tedious and time consuming and no time for other items. With that in mind I started making my own blocks and rope. 

Like you said, block making is tedious work. With every ship the blocks look better and are easier to make. I now have a system in place and crank out many blocks in just a few hours. 

I would appreciate a "how too" as well because it may be a better method of block making. 

Marcus 

9 hours ago, Chuck said:

I am still offering blocks so all is well there.  I am only stopping the rope.

I suppose it must be said that Chuck has reached the end of his rope.

Sorry, but I couldn't resist. :D

As Dirty Harry said, "A man's got to know his limitations." Enjoy life. The second half seems to go so much faster than the first.

I make my own line (respectable) and my own blocks (passable and improving) because these days it's a matter of my own secret warped pride to be able to be able to say I built everything on a model myself. It's a hobby and a I do it for the pleasure of doing it. For money, I do what I do for work, which I also enjoy, but it's work and after over forty years of doing it, I find it becoming less enjoyable as each day goes by. No so much the sort of challenges that "push the envelope," which I expect will always have their attraction, but the "drudgery" of repeatedly doing what I know I can do and do because I have to has a way of approaching an ever-increasing level of intolerability as one approaches retirement age. I feel your pain. You're doing the right thing. What's the point of people saying at your funeral, "Man, he made the best blocks and string." while your kids are saying, "I didn't get to know my dad as well as I'd have liked. He was always working so hard."

On 2/14/2021 at 3:19 PM, Chuck said:

I will reopen on Feb 22nd.

Chuck, I think that is a good sign that you are sold out. Just a short question: I noticed that the medway longboat was not available over a longer period of time. Is it on your list?

Clark

40 minutes ago, Chuck said:

They are now in stock.  I made a bunch of them last week and they will be available when I open.  I am also making some barge kits right now but I dont know if they will be done for Monday.

If not certainly early next week.  

Hi Chuck,

glad to see your response. I did not want to put pressure on you.

Clark

I have 10 ropewalks in stock now as well.  I also sourced a new type of central gear that is the right size/teeth config.  It has pre-drilled holes for the hub screws which makes life easier and actually fits the hub perfectly in its center bore hole.   So assembling it will be easier.

ropegear.jpg

This is the old set-up....but it will look almost identical.  Just to show you the what the Rope-Rocket looks like.

ropewalk.jpg

No thats not for me.  I am a POB guy and would rather make models that more people can build.  I also prefer fully planked hulls.  Im not a big fan of the exposed framework.  

A really good cross section is all I will be able to stomach designing and building.  I wouldnt be able to stay interested and it would take me forever to finish one.

It will still have a functional drop keel.  Already worked that into the design of the Hudson river sloop.  

Sloop is beautiful addition indeed. And very welcomed as not every folks are (if only remotely)  interested in military vessels, myself  included. after two cannon boats i am aplauding Chuck for such decision. love commerce ships. hovewer, jumping on Winchelsea was the best modeling thing i ever done in my modeling life and is giving teaching  me so much that i can only thank  for it. I only started appreciating how big differences it make comparing to mass market , not only material quality speaking.... I will be first to grab hudson sloop well if i am cripled by covid or whatever in years to come  whatever happened....damn i will be just dreaming another one two three years from now on :) . better not  to know :)) only nursuring little hopes Chuck could start it somehow alongside ongoing projects...:) well than Chuck,  when it is out, without spoiling would it be too much we get at least scale of that lovely thing we already started to dream about?  :) 

Vlad 

Edited by Vladimir_Wairoa
add

1/4" scale....If I remember I will post some of the planning I am doing soon.   I have already begun drafting the plans.  Its quite a challenging project to design.  I will continue drafting while working on the Winnie.  I cant do two at a time while working on the Winnie but  hopefully once I actually stop making rope....about 2 weeks....I may be able to make quicker progress.  I just have to get everyone currently rigging a model all settled with my rope first.  I cant wait till that is done!!

Unlike my other projects I am getting help with this one.  I am getting research help from Bill Brown in my local club as well as Mark Peckham from the Hudson River Maritime Museum.   He will speaking at our next virtual club meeting by the way.

Today however.....is a block making day....I have to make around 1500 2mm single and double blocks.   Good times!!!  I am working like a dog so I can reopen tomorrow morning at some point.

Image result for hudson river sloop painting

Chuck

Yes and the help from these folks is just fantastic.  The Hudson River Maritime Museum had built and still maintain the replica HRS Clearwater.  Their research and input is really invaluable.  It still sails up and down the Hudson today.  Although the Amelia is an older example of HRS which will show the wales more prominently and the I believe the overall shape is more elegant.  The Amelia was built in Nyack NY in 1840.  

Image result for hudson river sloop clearwater

Some models of Hudson river sloops.  Everyone is familiar with the Victorine but I am so tired of that one.   It has been done to death.  So the Amelia is a refreshing new example of this type of vessel.  They made hundreds and hundreds of them so they were such an important part of life on the Hudson River.  

They painted them very gaudy like circus wagons.  I am not sure how I will do that but anyway....from Mystic seaport collection.  One is Portia' model and another is by Charles Davis.  Note the absence of any pumps on deck.  Another interesting feature of these.  Although older versions like Amelia may have had the typical elm tree pumps mid-ship.   

sloop1.jpg

sloop2.jpg

sloop3.jpg

sloop4.jpg

victorine.jpg

lovely pics. from the laic perspective  that aft rail raising upwards toward stern in curvature makes very " historionic"  reminiscence to me . resembling a bit of 16 centuries of royalty river boats or almost italys gondolas like.rail  is very elegant in its simplest form with figurative ending. looks like theres cabin i didnt know there is transom window. 

Edited by Vladimir_Wairoa
add

rudder11.jpg

Ok I am back open for business.  Remember that I am still making and offering rigging blocks.  So there is no need to hoard them.  I will continue to make more as my inventory runs low.  This is true for for all of my products still listed in my web store.

As far as rope goes...those in need of finishing up their models were given a link to the hidden category in my store where they can buy what they need to finish up their models.  I have a limited supply of original thread to make rope from but will continue to make more until you guys have enough to complete your models.   But when that runs out there wont be any more.  So please only buy what you need to finish up your model so everyone in that situation can do so.

Chapter 5 Winnie parts are also in stock as well as Double Capstan kits in both Yellow Cedar and Cherry.

cap9b.jpg

Cheers!!!

I am really looking forward to that...I have started fleshing out the design concept for the framework.   Not much yet but this is the hard part....figuring out how all the pieces will fit together.  There is a lot of trial and error here.

Ameliastart.jpg

Chuck