THIS ROPE HAS BEEN SOLD!!!!

71917939-2FAB-4654-880C-73BDDA0DF632.jpeg
I was cleaning up the shop today and came across a hoard of my old rope.  I must have set these aside for some reason after a show.  They were all in a box.  Various sizes mostly .035 and above….lots of dark brown but also a fair amount of tan and light brown.  Some smaller sizes as well but not many.

There are a bunch of big sizes I never sold on my site too.  Real big stuff at well over 2mm in dia.  Those were expensive to make. I think maybe these were set aside for a museum restoration job I was working on. I cant remember.

i cant use these ….49 packages in all valued at over $300.  

i will sell the whole lot together for $85 plus free shipping anywhere in the USA. Thats like 1.50 per package…LOL.

just send me a PM….hate to waste them.

otherwise I will donate them to the Rogers collection as I know they can probably use them.

THIS ROPE HAS BEEN SOLD!!!!

On 6/17/2021 at 12:42 PM, Tigersteve said:

Thanks Steve. Another question popped up. When heat treating your rope do you apply the beeswax before or after it goes into the oven?

Just a note to keep you guys in the loop. I am getting another batch of finished TAN ULTRA rope in this weekend.   I imagine another week or so and I should be able to start selling TAN rope again.  I want to make sure I have enough in stock for you guys.

syrenultrarope2.jpg

In addition, all of you will be pleased to discover that the price for this rope is actually cheaper than the my old linen stuff.  The cost for the raw linen thread I used to get was crazy expensive coming from Ireland to the USA.  This new poly/cotton stuff is much cheaper.  I just bought a boat-load of it in bulk as well.

This allows me to charge a full $1 less per package than what I sold the other stuff for.   I couldnt in good faith keep the price the same, even though I know you guys would probably still buy it all up quickly.

Chuck

Oh and another fun fact about my new rope.   My son now works in a lab and has equipment to help me precisely measure the diameter of the new rope.  I adjusted my recipes accordingly to give you guys some really ....really accurately sized scale rope.

It turns out that the smaller sizes of my old linen rope were actually slightly over-sized.  You know how hard it is to measure this stuff.  But now I am happy to report that the sizes for the new rope are deadly accurate.  He can measure on some optical machines down to the micron level....but he didnt have to go that small.   So you eagle-eyed builders might notice the difference although it is very hard to tell by eye.  My new rope sizes are pretty much the same with the addition of a new larger size for those who need it.

.008     .012     .018     .025     .035     .045    .055     .065     .080       and     .095

syrenultrarope3.jpg

Jim

I am not sure what you are asking actually....Are you asking what is shown in the pictures in my last post?  Can you clarify?  There are no more old rope colors....  I dont have even one package of the old stuff laying around anymore.  Its all gone. The two pictures in my last post are of my new ULTRA TAN rope which will be ready in a week or so.   I have all the big sizes in stock and I am just finishing up the small sizes.

Tim I agree with you!!!

We are making progress with rope.  As many have you have found out already.....thanks to everyone trying out the new rope!!!  

Tan rope is now fully stocked.   Dark Brown is about half way stocked.  The larger sizes are available online.  The smaller sizes will be placed in the store as we make them.

https://syrenshipmodelcompany.com/miniature-rope.php

Thank you for your patience...…remember hoarding is frowned upon!!!😀

Just a quick FYI because I havent seen too much about the next Joint clubs conference in October.  October 2nd.   Still time to sign up.  

I will be there as a vendor as usual.  But I wanted to also mention that I will also be presenting a tech session on rope-making.   I have done this a few times before but its a fun little tech session.   I will be making rope using the "Rope-Rocket" but the principles apply to all ropewalks really.   We will be making 20 foot long lengths of rope and if there is time I will sit some unsuspecting attendee down and give them a rope making experience as well.  It should be fun stringing a length of rope that spans across the room we will be eating lunch in.   It should be interesting.  We will talk about and discuss all things "rope".  Polyester vs. cotton etc.   Planetary vs old fashioned like the Rope rocket.   

syrenultrarope2.jpg

I realize that the pandemic is still scary and I dont know how many will be going....but maybe this will be worthwhile.  Its always a fun time.  I do know that it is damn near impossible to find a hotel room.   So there must be a lot going on in Mystic at that time.

Hope to see you there.

• 2 weeks later...

Boxwood and Ebony deadeyes…

FYI….These are almost ready.  I will soon have solid Boxwood deadeys and EBONY deadeyes available in the store.  These take a long time to make but I should have them in the store soon.  Maybe another week or  two.

Boxwood will be first followed by Ebony.

Boxwood will sell for 6.25 for a package of 25

Ebony will sell for 6.75 for a package of of 25 deadeyes

I will stock 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7mm sizes

945FB9B8-553A-494A-83BD-576914BE159E.jpeg

90404E7E-AD50-4470-BBA7-767A7FBDF8D3.jpeg

They will be solid finished deadeyes ready to use straight out of the package.  I will probably discontinue my mini-kits for deadeyes or carry them both.  I havent decided yet.  I plan on using the solid boxwood versions for the winnie because the channels will also be natural.  But depending on your model and how you finish it, you could use the ebony versions.  Hopefully the Ebony versions will all be finished and available by the time we need them for that project.

Chuck

47 minutes ago, Chuck said:

They will be solid finished deadeyes ready to use straight out of the package.  I will probably discontinue my mini-kits for deadeyes or carry them both.  I havent decided yet.  I plan on using the solid boxwood versions for the winnie because the channels will also be natural.  But depending on your model and how you finish it, you could use the ebony versions.  Hopefully the Ebony versions will all be finished and available by the time we need them for that project.

Chuck

Chuck: Remembering this discussion in a early post, do you still have no plans to do a rigging plan for the Winnie?

Probably not....its a standard rigging plan.  It would take 7 to 8 months to draft them.  When the Winnie hull is finished and the ship's barge the project will be completed.  There are some really good sources out there for masting and rigging.  But I want to start immediately on a new project and put the Winnie behind me as soon as the hull is completed.  Its just beyond the scope of the project as it was intended.   The project was and is to create a typical admiralty hull model of an English frigate much like those many contemporary models I have posted.  

But folks can absolutely rig it if they want to.  They just have to do so on their own.  Folks can take this as far as they wish.

Here is where the project stands after chapter 8.  I expect another four chapters and the project will be completed.  We are 2/3rds of the way through it.

fcastleframing1.jpg

fcastleframing5.jpg

fcastleframing.jpg

Steele is probably the best.  There is Lee's and many others.  I personally prefer Lees.  BUT...I know the majority of you are a bit .....how should say this diplomatically...."pampered".   Most of the folks are used to having the plans all drafted up with masts all drawn out,  in addition to a standing and running rigging plan.  With all sizes of rope given and all sizes of blocks.   I am not referring to a source like this.  You will not find anything like that.  But the raw source material is out there for the sizes of blocks and rope for a frigate of this size.   Same is true for masts.  But it will require that you do the work and research for each aspect of the rigging and draw out your masts to size.

For a fully rigged frigate this research and drawing could take 6-8 months to get right and historically accurate.   

The other thing you could do is look for a good set of plans of a similar frigate that is well done by someone who knows what they are doing and that plan would work with just some tweaking.  For example....AlexM's Sphynx set of plans.  That rigging plan is probably really really close although you would need to adjust the mast and spar sizes accordingly for a slightly larger vessel.

What I wouldnt recommend is using the rigging and masting plan from some kits which are known to have many problems.  Especially if you care about accuracy.  For example...I would not substitute and scale up the Diana plans from Caldercraft....or the HMS surprise.

Another fantastic source is volume 4 of the Fully framed Swan series by David Antscherl.   Excellent rigging info there although sizes for the masts and spars will need to be adjusted.

Steel is an excellent source I used his work for working out the rigging sizes on my Pegasus build, and also the mast and yard dimensions.

He has rigging tables for different classes of ship in inches circumference which will require conversion to diameter at scale, be that inches or mm.

He also gives deadeye and block types and sizes.

I prepared a spread sheet to record all the scale sizes, which made the whole process fairly simple.

B.E.