This chart is also available.......Consider it the reverse side of the first chart LOL....You guys are high maintenance!!!  Note the backside of the Syren......makes for a handy reference if you print it out for your shop.   

Suren Ultra Scale Rope Size chart1.jpg

Suren Ultra Scale Rope Size chart1.pdf

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but just have to say it's like Christmas when you order from Chuck..

I ordered a few things, and like always, with the wood sheets, there are a couple of extras thrown in with " scrap " penciled on them,

Thanks a lot Chuck for making me have to clean up the pencil marks..😁

Now, if he would only throw in a few scrap blocks and rope...

Edited by Gregory

On 8/22/2021 at 2:01 AM, scrubbyj427 said:

I didn’t know circumference was so important in model ship building, when did diameter take a back seat to that one!

Actually , its the other way round.  The tradition is circumference because it is easier to measure (especially because sailors traditionally didn't have much maths).  Diameter is not so easy to measure.  They could measure circumference easily by just wrapping a string around the rope.

John

Edited by bartley

You guys may have noticed that I dont have any blocks left in stock.  Yes I have sold out.  I also sold out of rope but we are making more as I write this.  The hoarding of rope continues without pause.

BUT I wanted to give yu guys a heads up about my famous "Original"  hand made blocks.   I have stopped making them.  But fear not.  I have two new CNC milling routers on the way.  I am working with Jack who did my carvings to automate the process for making blocks.  Jack is a wonder with the CNC stuff.  Amazing stuff.

To come up with the process, I first started to simulate the methods and jigs required by using a laser cutter while waiting for the CNC machines to arrive.  Here were the results as laser cut.  Just they were burnt but it was the process and shapes I was after.

B9AAD607-6B13-44DC-84CE-5129E3D8F11B.jpeg

Then we started applying those techniques with Jacks expertise to come up with a plan to apply these techniques and a few more of Jacks tricks to make some CNC milled examples.  These are in swiss pear.

1418699304_36020210827193618318.jpg.31d1b2009a79fb89b7964fe7244a90c5.jpg

image.png.7357d193617db1a8575ed0d4df792c53.png

image.png.bc276fbbdfa3ecf33339ab3d4630d779.png

image.png.3be0ddd275a8089746e3610b86a7b6c6.png

Jack's expertise and experience is amazing here.  Above are the first attempts and as soon as I get all set up we can start production.  The manufacturing will be done in my shop.  But I wanted to let you guys know that it will be a little while.  But if you wondering, this is what we are working towards at syren.

image.png.5d16dee9eec14c49a4bf94218a073c21.png

Note the rounded sheaves on the examples above.   Now we will work and test some more to reduce milling times.

Entering the world of CNC will now create even more possibilities for me.  I can use my new capability to create even better parts for my projects including headrails and ship's carvings.  I just have to put on my thinking cap because CNC requires a different conceptual design thought process.  But it will be so nice to be able to push a button and let the machines do their thing so I can spend that time designing and working on my model projects for you.

But it will be months before you see these in stock as I hone my skills by learning from Jack, Jack is an excellent mentor and teacher.  This is all new to me.

Chuck

36 minutes ago, WalrusGuy said:

Does this mean you will stop producing all the handmade blocks? And will now sell only the CNC milled ones? 

Yes it does....although I may continue making the 2mm blocks by hand.  It depends on how well the cnc works with those.  They are quite small and may require the personal hands on touch.

Yes that is a cad drawing...one of the many cad drawing interpretations we have gone through so far.

Chuck

Excellent news Chuck! Being able to automate, what I am sure are massive time consuming and highly repetitive tasks while still maintaining the quality that you are known for is wonderful. I hope this does take some of the stress off of you. Looking forward to seeing these new blocks and to seeing what this new "free time" will produce next! :)  

Just an FYI......The online store will be closed for two weeks.  I am headed (being dragged really)  on vacation by the admiral.   The store will be closed from Sep 4th and opening again on Sep 20th.   I will be online though....nothing else to do at the beach,   Except bake in the sun!!!  Chapter 8 will be written for the Winnie and be available when I return.  How can I possibly sit around for two weeks and not make stuff?   I hope its not as difficult to sit around as I think it will be.

Chuck

Hey Chuck,

Glad to see you are entering the world of CNC milling, I highly recommend you try the Amana brand of CNC bits, the SPEKTRA coated bits last well, while cutting hardwoods like Box or Pear. They are expensive though so don't break too many practicing or use cheap ones for that purpose.

I am off to the beach tomorrow....but I did finally get to finish programming the new blocks.   This test shows blocks that are just 2.5mm long.   Far better than expectations.

cncblocktest.jpg

Everyone has been messaging me about coastline blocks and raving about them......BUT they arent so good at the small sizes.  They have a real funny and inconsistent shape. Knowing that anyone can produce larger size blocks pretty easily I am concentrating on getting the tiny ones done well first. Below you can see the coastline example taken from their site.  Its not at all shaped properly.  They look pretty bad actually.  So I wanted to make sure that my small size blocks looked much better and carry that same proper shape as the larger examples.  I hope you agree.  The close-up photo is pretty brutal but these blocks are simply the best I have made to date for such tiny blocks.

2.5blocks.jpg

what I have learned over the last few weeks is that cnc milling takes forever.  Its great in that I can just push a button and go do something else.  But it takes literally two hours to mill one side of a sheet of maybe 80 blocks.  Drilling the sheave holes and slots is the killer and takes forever on the cnc machine.  This sheet took over two hours on just one side.  Jack did this one as he helps me develop my own method.

image.png

So I have developed a way to laser cut the holes and sheave slots while cnc milling the overall shape.  It cuts the time down by 65-70%.

I have the concept all ready to go and will start production upon my return. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am finally back from vacation.....and back to work.

The store is now open again.  But just an FYI....when I left for vacation I was wiped out of rope and I havent started mass production of my new cnc blocks yet.  Here is a quick picture of a few sizes hot off the CNC Machine.  I just use my phone for the pic but they look really good.  I literally just made these today.   I only have 3/32"....1/8" and 5/32" singles made and only about a dozen packs of each.  But it will get there!!!

cnc blocks.jpg

So for the next few weeks I am in high production mode.  I have turned off the categories of boxwood blocks and rope for now.  Only because I dont have any.   I will start making them immediately and when I get about 30-40 packages of each size in stock I will let you guys know and turn those categories on again in my store.   

Everything else is in pretty good shape though.  In fact I have a bunch of longboat and barge kits in stock.

BUT please have mercy on the blocks and rope.  CNC is new to me and it will take a while to get all stocked.

Thanks for the heads up, and I hope you had a great vacation Chuck.  I will definitely find out what size blocks are used in the Caldercraft Granado 1/64 kit, but if you or someone else already knows what would work, give me a shout.    I'll be looking to buy enough to use your materials for the rigging, and perhaps the remaining gun tackle that isn't hidden by the forecastle deck (i.e., the two bow chasers I have rigged already).  I also need to re-consider substituting your cannons for the remaining "visible" cannons, even though I have already finished the ones supplied with the Caldercraft kit.  It's not that the kits are that bad, its just that your stuff is so good.  When you have sufficient stock, I also should probably consider using your rope, if that reappears after the deluge of Covid orders, but being a newbie, I can't really comment from hands on experience with respect to the difference in appearance, east of use, etc.  I believe that was one confusing reply, but hopefully you are an expert at interpreting "newbieisms"

6 minutes ago, nzreg said:

I see you have chapter 8 in AYC do you have plans for the same in Cherry? Heres hoping.

Yes its on the list.   I Have a few other things to get done first but should make a start on it by the end of the week.   

I only have one CNC machine set up currently but have two of them.  I have to get the other one up and running.  CNC is very very slow.  You cant run the machines quickly or the results will be bad.  Especially with such tiny pieces.  The blocks in that picture are just 2.5mm, 3mm and 4mm in size.   I have learned that speeding up the machine leads to disastrous results.  Once slowed down with a sharp end mill it produces a wonderful block however.  The beauty is that I am writing this post while blocks are being made.   Its a beautiful thing to not have to sit in front of a machine and make them by hand any more.

9 minutes ago, HardeeHarHar said:

I believe that was one confusing reply, but hopefully you are an expert at interpreting "newbieisms"

I will do my best to get that stuff available as quickly as possible.