Re-naming kit-build boats. - moved by moderator

I'm building a fishing boat - Artesania Latina's Mare Nostrum.
Frankly, 'Mare Nostrum' means nothing to me.  But I have happy memories of fishing trips out of St Gilles/Croix de Vie, Vendée, too many years ago to mention, on board a little boat called 'La Petite Nella III'.
So when I get to the finishing line with my 'Mare Nostrum', she's actually going to bear the name 'La Petite Nella'.  And all the fish boxes are going to bear a fictitious 'LS' (Les Sables) number instead of the '4331' that Artesania Latina provides.

Obviously, ships like the Victory, or Bluenose, or America have to bear their proper names.  But surely I'll not be alone in personalising the name of my build?  Are there any others here who want to share stories of their renamed models?

If you look at my build log of the AL Harvey. you will see that I too plan to rename the end product. Since there never was a Harvey and the kit is so far from the real thing. I feel no inhibition to doing what I want. Besides it is your model and if you wanted to have a big 6 bladed Fan blowing on the sails that is just fine.

My build was re-named for two reasons.  I plan to gift it to a Tea Shop whose owners are friends of mine but the Overwhelming reason was that it was a 'rescue' of a smashed Revell Cutty Sark with lots of missing parts and I was totally intimidated by the thought of trying to keep it accurate.  In my time on MSW I have realized that not many plastic kits are really that accurate but I figured this out after the point of no return, lol.

Hi Brian,

Yes, I was one of those who re-named the Marie-Jeanne kit by Billing using my wife's first and middle names. It gave the kit more meaning to both of us. I am currently working on a little Dutch Zeeschouw which Billing calls Bianca. I intend to rename it after my sister using her name as she was given when she was born, "Ireen". I also have a couple of other Dutch sailing yachts which will be named using my mother's and father's Dutch names, "Evertje" and "Jan".

I think it's a great idea to rename a model to one which has more significance to the builder when the subject model is one of a series of vessels.

Peter

Hi Brian,

Of course as the vessel's owner you are free to name her as you wish. The only thing I want to make you aware of is the fact that this type of vessel was spanish trading at the Costa Brava. Why not translate "la petite Nella" from french in to spanish "Nella Pequeño". Just a thought. ;)

John

Thanks, everyone.
I've devised a background story for my La Petite Nella.  She was built in a Benidorm boatyard, was called Madre Nuestra, and sailed from there trawling for anchovies.  (Yes, I know, don't tell me!).
During the Spanish Civil War one of my ancestors volunteered to fight, but instead she ended up in Benidorm making a fortune in the gambling dens.  There, she met the Madre Nuestra's captain (a certain Pablo El Otro (Paul the other one) and challenged him to a game of backgammon.
"Huh! he sneered! "A woman can't play backgammon!  No es posible!"
Unfortunately for him, Béatrice des Landes (my aforementioned ancestor) really could play backgammon, and she knew how to double!  And cutting a very long story short, she won the Madre Nuestra.
With nothing better to do, Béatrice took command of the little vessel and decided she was going to sail her back to Colchester in Essex, UK, and use her there for a bit of sprat fishing.  She managed to get through the Straits of Gibraltar, and up along the Portuguese coast without problems.  She called in at Santander for supplies, and there she had the misfortune to meet up (and fall head over heels in love) with a bullfighter from Pamplona called El Tupe Fornella.  She stayed there, and bore a child.  A beautiful girl.  The baby was baptised in the Cathedral of Santander, and was named Nella in honour of the father who never even bothered to acknowledge her.
Béatrice and her beautiful child continued the voyage almost exactly twelve months after that fateful stop in Santander.  They followed the coast, up past the Gironde, calling in at St Gilles/Croix de Vie just south of the Loire estuary.  The intention was to pick up more supplies and sail on around Brittany, up the Channel and across the Thames estuary to the river Colne.  But ...
Béatrice met a charming doctor from Les Herbiers (many miles inland) who had a holiday villa in Brétignolles-sur-mer (just south of St Gilles).  He was an honourable man, and a few weeks later they were married.  He even acknowledged the pretty little Nella as his own.  They lived happily in Les Herbiers for several years, and their boat was renamed 'La Petite Nella' in honour of Béatrice's daughter.  It was sold to a local fisherman, who for a few years continued to trawl for anchovies (shut UP!!  I do know!!) until, in 1960, the tragic Biscay tsunami caused  La Petite Nella to be cast up, totally wrecked, on the coast of Lanzarote.
Don't tell me you've never heard of the Biscay tsunami?

Such a pity La Petite Nella never did make it to the Colne estuary, and Colchester.

But I seem to have hijacked my own thread!  Sorry!  I was actually wondering whether you all had qualms about giving your own name to a kit model that came to you with a name attached to it, and probably a little name plaque (or even a full-blown plinth!)  in the pack of parts.

I'll confess that I felt a pang of guilt when I told myself that my Mare Nostrum was going to be labelled 'La Petite Nella'.  It was sort of like insisting to my wife that the baby in her womb had to be called Damien and not James.

However, I did have a lot of fun fishing in the Bay of Biscay aboard "La Petite Nella III"  back in the sixties.  Just typing the name brings back memories of fishing trips with Maurice, my French brother-in-law (now deceased) and the delights we shared.  When I complete my build, and the model takes its place in a suitable spot in my living room. it'll be a far more relevant reminder than if I had simply let it remaIn as the "Mare Nostrum".