HM Cutter Cheerful 1806 by Erik W - 1:48 scale

Since my progress is slow and steady . . . you get photos of every little step forward!  I added the molding strips on each side, just below the gun ports.  These were actually quite challenging to get a smooth run since they're so narrow.  It's easy to accidentally kink them.  The first side I did I wound up pulling off and reattaching the main strip 4 times, and the short strip in front of the forward gun port 2 times.  I blame Mike (Stuntflyer) for setting the example of pulling things apart and starting over.  :)   The second side went much smoother with no need to start over.

post-20029-0-75512200-1458170283_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-70164100-1458170296_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-46498800-1458170305_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-54800000-1458170313_thumb.jpg

Erik

Edited by Erik W

Great looking model.  And don't worry about having to rip things out and doing them over.  Everyone in my club says they have to do that all the time.

Keep up the excellent work.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

It's coming along nice. Shouldn't be too much of a problem to get the deck fitted? Good work.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Very Cool, Erik, she's looking good

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

I'm continuing with the planking above the wales.  Things are temporarily looking very rough in these photos.  Some of the planks are partially sanded.  Other planks are not sanded yet.  Like Chuck, I only did the pencil caulking between planks in areas where it won't be hidden by the wales or trim pieces.  So, it looks a little odd at this stage.  The two red pieces of wood next to the ship are parts of the stern gun port framing I accidentally just broke off!  Grrr!  Thought I'd take a break, and snap a few photos . . .

post-20029-0-13537200-1458497451_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-24539600-1458497458_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-07492400-1458497466_thumb.jpg

Erik

That looks very good....yes it looks weird but it will all come together.  Very neat planking job.

Chuck

Chuck,

I almost didn't post the photos.  I'm very much in the in-progress stage with this part of the planking.  I know that the WOP will make the simulated caulking stand out . . . that and wiping off all the saw dust.  :)

Erik

I've been considering going with an alternate paint scheme for my Cheerful than what others are doing.  My thoughts were to paint the top two planks on the sides (the two between the top trim strip and the cap rail) blue.  I'd also paint the transom blue, but leave the counter a natural color.  I have two questions.  1.  My thoughts were to sand a very slight bevel on one edge of one of the two planks to be painted, so once painted the planks can still be seen to be individual planks.  Do you think this will work?  Or is this not something that is done.  What are the potential problems?  2.  Is blue a realistic color on a cutter or ship from this era?  It doesn't have to be accurate for the Cheerful, but if there's no chance a cutter had blue paint, I might skip it.

I borrowed these photos from Chuck's build log to demonstrate what I'm talking about (thanks in advance Chuck!).

The side view of the plans showing the top two planks.

post-20029-0-25285900-1458615607_thumb.jpg

Photos from the Rogers collection in Annapolis showing some blue (but at Chuck has pointed out, not the Cheerful).

post-20029-0-39731700-1458615758_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-47633900-1458615762_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-46982400-1458615766_thumb.jpg

Erik

Its your project and you must make it look the way you would prefer it to look.  I wouldnt do the chamfer thing on those planks however.  That often looks pretty cheesy...especially if its not done to all of the planking.

Just remember that the two planks on our model are much wider than the area on the Rogers model (which isnt really the Cheerful).  It will in fact be wider than the wales I believe.  Except however at the stern and bow where that strip gets narrower.  This is taken directly from the original drafts.  So that band of Blue would not be consistent and it would appear to be even prominent than the wales.   I came very close to painting it the same way.  But after using colored paper on my model to do a test I found that I didnt like it much.   The odd shape with the width change just made it look like a mistake.  But hey that just could have been me.....maybe you would feel differently after seeing it.

I would recommend that you do the same to test how you feel about it.  Take some photos and do a comparison. As far as sanding a chamfer into the edge of the plank so it would show up...That would be a bad idea.  It is not something that was done in reality but it would look very deliberate as if it was.  In most cases the blue will not block the fact that there are two planks anyway.   That is something that would be very hard to undo after the fact as well.

Thanks for the feedback Chuck!  Glad to get an expert opinion on the chamfer . . . and glad I asked before I went that route.  :)

I didn't have my mind set on the blue.  You have some good points about the blue planks being wider than the wale.  At this point then, I'm leaning towards not doing the blue option.  I will do some tests using color paper, and coloring in a printed side view of your plans to get a visual on how it would look.

Erik

Edited by Erik W

I agree with Chuck that a chamfer between strakes does not look great. In any case, after a year or two of slight wood movement, the seam will be visible through paint anyway,

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Druxey,

Thanks for the second opinion.  That's exactly the kind of feedback that is so much appreciated.  It keeps me from screwing up what will otherwise be a good build because I pull an amateur move that seemed like a good idea to my inexperienced mind. 

All,

I'm not going to go with the blue.  If you compare the photos of the model in the Rogers Collection I posted above, with my high tech coloring project below, you'll see that rather than simply being trim, the two blue strakes will make up a greater portion of the above-the-wales planking.  Also, as Chuck stated, it looks a little odd as those planks narrow at the bow and stern.

post-20029-0-71681000-1458700136_thumb.jpg

Erik

I'm working my way upwards with the planking around the gun ports.  I'm taking my time.  It seems best to wait to sand this area until I have all the planks down.  This is the rough look then.  I usually clean things up a bit for the photos I post.  So . . .this is kind of the equivalent of meeting someone for coffee without first showering, brushing my teeth, and combing my hair.  :)

post-20029-0-66801100-1458932562_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-58725000-1458932571_thumb.jpg

Erik

I reached a mini milestone by getting the above-the-wale portion of one side of the hull planked up to where the cap rail will be.  The planking between the gun ports is fun, but a bit tedious.  I've done the preliminary sanding of what I've planked so far, and a rough faring along the top of the bulwark.  Still needs more work, but I'd rather wait until both sides are done before I tidy things up.  So . . . it's still a bit rough looking.

post-20029-0-28954000-1459534285_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-72974300-1459534290_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-37111600-1459534297_thumb.jpg

Erik

Very good Eric. The lip around the gun ports are very nicely done!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Here are a couple of photos of the port side of the Cheerful. You can see my high tech set up of how I'm holding it while planking this part . . . an old towel. It's something soft that won't damage the hull, and I can position the ship the way I want it. Also you can see the small clamps and clothes pins I'm using to hold the planks in place while the glue sets. These photos are the raw look before any sanding has been done . . . with finger prints, glue smudges, etc.  :)

post-20029-0-25878300-1460147708_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-36418700-1460147714_thumb.jpg

Erik

Very nice Eric. There are a lot of us using hi-tech towels out here and I'm glad you were able to get one. ;)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Ah... the ubiquitous towel.   I have one also...  I think Douglas Adams was right about it being the most important thing.  

That is some wonderful planking going there, Erik.  I find it amazing what can be done with clothes pins.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Eric, welcome to the 21st century. :D  Not only will your towel safely support your build but its there to blot up the tears of joy and frustration as you build.

I'll second Mark on the clothes pins, especially the wooden type, they can be carved to shape to fit many clamping needs. To make them even more adaptable you can also take them apart and reassemble backwards.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

More progress . . . with the before-I-pretty-it-up look.  I've settled into a pace that feels sustainable over the long haul.  So, it's slow and steady.  I work on the Cheerful daily, but with warmer temps, also have other things going on.  :)

post-20029-0-84631500-1460753968_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-96267700-1460753981_thumb.jpg

Erik

Warmer temperatures are definitely a distraction. It's almost always too windy here to work on models outdoors!

More progress.  I finished the planking around the port side gun ports.  I've done the preliminary sanding, and also the fairing of the top where the cap rail will go.

post-20029-0-23939700-1461437254_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-01654800-1461437264_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-19284500-1461437274_thumb.jpg

Erik

Looking quite lovely, Erik.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)