HM Cutter Cheerful 1806 by Erik W - 1:48 scale

Thank you for sharing, Erik. My condolences on the loss of your father. The model will be a nice way to remember him.

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Eric, please accept my condolences on the loss of your father.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

My thoughts and prayers are with you Erik.

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Steve,

Please accept my condolences as well. I lost my father to colon cancer and know how hard it is. It is nice that you have this to share with him. I wish you all the best and look forward to seeing the continuation of this tribute to him.

Glenn

My Gallery

9 inch Dahlgren on Marsilly Carriage<p><p>

Heroine Shipwreck Diorama

Erik, I am sorry to hear of the loss of your father.  I think it is great that you are dedicating your Cheerful build to your father and that your Longboat build and Cheerful progress brought much comfort to your father during his illness.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Erik, loosing a friend or a four legged friend is hard enough. Can't even believe how hard it must be with loosing a father.

My sympathy is with you. Take your time and when you are ready, we will be here for you.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Wow guys!  Thanks for all the nice posts.  That was very kind.  Some of my fondest memories of my dad are our sailing trips from Annapolis, MD when I was a kid and then from Newport, RI when I was a teenager.  My family, who had been taking care of him, told me that this last year he would always look forward to my Saturday morning phone calls, and reports of my progress on the longboat and Cheerful (one of the reasons my longboat build log had so many photos was because I was taking photos every few days that I could email my dad).  As long as I can remember, my father always had an eye towards the sea.

Though my shipyard has been quiet, I have been gathering some more materials for the build.  I recently received an order from Chuck of a couple of his mini kits . . . and printed the latest chapters in his practicum.

. . . and since forums are always better with photos, here's my Cheerful as she sits today. :)

post-20029-0-02673700-1477855473_thumb.jpg

Erik

Erik,

Those are great memories and should be cherished.   I'm sure he loved the updates and also had fond memories of those trips also.   I can't think of a more fitting tribute than dedicating this build to him.  

No rush on getting back into things...  you'll get things sorted out when the time is right.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...

I normally wouldn't post after adding just one plank, but since yesterday was the first progress I've made on the Cheerful since early June, I thought I'd let you guys know that my motivation is returning.   :)  I'm working on getting the second layer of the wales added . . . so have photos of the first of the 2 planks on the port side.  I also threw in a photo of the stern.  I know the rear gun port frames are slightly crooked (you can't tell when viewing from the interior).  Since the gun ports will be modeled closed, this won't be noticeable.  I figured having the exterior planking smooth and straight is more important.

I envy those of you who can stay focused on your one build.  I am easily distracted by my other hobbies  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/4423-what-else-do-you-model-besides-ships/?p=343803   . . . and life in general.  Glad to be back.  :)

post-20029-0-01591700-1479658166_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-00442900-1479658180_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-92240200-1479658225_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-86398400-1479658252_thumb.jpg

Erik

Good to see you back at her, Erik.  She's looking great.   Other hobbies and life do get in the way which seems to be the norm.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yay, glad to have you back! I've been missing your crisp work as an inspiration for my own more thumb-sy skills. I, too, find it hard to balance lots of different interests.

• 2 weeks later...

After starting work on my Cheerful again . . . I immediately went back east on vacation for the holiday.  But I'm now back and cutting wood.  I installed the wales.  I'm going to wait to paint the wales until I have the two strakes below them installed.  I have yet to apply any Wipe on Poly since I'm not yet done with the final sanding and cleanup above the wales.  The plan then is to do the two strakes below the wales, do a final sanding of the wales and above, apply WOP, paint the wales and counter . . . and then proceed to plank the rest of the hull.

Here's where I am so far.  The wales have been added and sanded.

post-20029-0-21881700-1480796691_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-02591900-1480796759_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-22044900-1480796776_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-57442100-1480796786_thumb.jpg

Erik

Edited by Erik W

Very fine!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

I'm working on the strakes below the wales.  I have the first row completed, but have a bit of an issue with the drop plank on the port side.  I over sanded the after end of the plank a bit which causes it to taper rather than widen at the aft end.  When I shaped the plank behind it (seen temporarily taped on in these photos) I had to excessively thin the front of that plank.  Looks a bit weird to my eye, and causes a kink where the drop plank meets the plank behind it.  I plan on removing the drop plank and making another one with the correct profile.  Taking the lessons learned from the port side, the starboard side drop plank turned out better and my test fit adjacent plank is of the correct width and the run is smooth.

post-20029-0-28861500-1481478451_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-65062900-1481478459_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-51350200-1481478466_thumb.jpg

Erik

If you aren't satisfied now, it will always nag at you. Go for the re-do; it won't hurt! The rest of your work looks truly lovely, Erik.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that areas that are not smooth influence the alignment/run of adjacent planks, and cause more problems further down the road.  Thanks for the kind words Druxey!  Coming from a modeler of your talents, that means a lot.  This is still the unrefined look too, with pencil smudges, excess glue, finger prints, etc.

Erik

Edited by Erik W

As the saying goes, the 3rd time is the charm.  If you view my post above, you'll see I wasn't happy with the drop plank on the port side.  That plank had in fact been the 2nd drop plank I had formed for that side.  The first one snapped in half when I was pre-bending it!  Though glued on with Elmer's Carpenters Glue, the plank was still quite difficult to get off.  Part of the plank behind it chipped when I removed the drop plank . . . so I had to remove and replace that one as well.  I'm a lot happier with the new drop plank.  It looks good to the eye, and the run is smooth with no kinks.  Now I can get rid of the rough look and do the final sanding of what I've done so far, apply WOP, and paint the counter, and wales.

post-20029-0-38478400-1482016453_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-75881300-1482016468_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-99662300-1482016483_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-31869500-1482016500_thumb.jpg

post-20029-0-65747000-1482016514_thumb.jpg

Erik