Hr. Ms. O 19 by Piet - 1939 - 1945, scale 1:50, submarine Royal Navy Netherlands - Finished

Hello all y'all,

Thans Pat and John for checking up on me, appreciate your interest and encouraging words. 

I have been busy with some needed domestic chores around the house, pruning trees and shrubs, mowing the lawn, cleaning the rain gutters etc, etc.  However, I have been able to do some work on the O 19.  After the spacer blocks have been installed at WL 7 I could lift the boat out of the build dock.  She is still pretty light and nice and stiff.

Unfortunately the admiral is not around to take a snapshot with me holding it, she drove up north to Pittsburgh, PA to visit our youngest daughter and the grandson.  They are going to register him into college at Slippery rock, PA.  Sorry I couldn't go this time but I don't mind to bachelor it.

I have fared most of the bulkheads, mainly above WL 7. For the front and read of the boat I will need to add balsa blocs because there are some tricky shapes that need something more substantial then foam.

I also started to install the base planking as the base for the paper hull plates.  They are 1 X 5 mm planks I ripped from 1/4 poplar boards, works like a charm.  Works better then basswood.  This gives the Styrofoam a place to settle and the support for the wood planking. It'll be trying things out as I go along.

I may not plank all of the top-center of the pressure hull except from the conning tower to part of the forward part of the hull to accommodate the side-launge torpedo tubes.

post-1399-0-94200100-1365993919_thumb.jpg

Here is a 3/4 view from the starboard stern.  The planking is over the ballast tanks and amidship are the ten mine tubes.  I may make one to show with an operable lid, that would look really nice.  I have also started to lay a few planks from the keel going up.  You can see the pushpins to clamp the planks while the glue is curing.

post-1399-0-60898800-1365993940_thumb.jpg

This is a shot from the stern.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

She's starting to show her lines and looking good, Piet. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

HI PIET nice work on yours 019 AND thanks fore the old pictures from WILTON FEYENOORD I work there 4 years from 1956 till 1959 i work in the onderzeebouwloods buth on the fregats the friesland klasse i born in SCHIEDAM in 1942 so the world is very small i remember piet you ask me about some pictures off the 019 i sent you some pictures soo PIET all the best hope too see more pic from yours model i will followed itt the hole job thanks JOHN

Hello Piet,

Today is your birthday. Van harte gefeliciteerd met je verjaardag.

animaatjes-verjaardag-75080.gif

Enjoy and have a good evening!

Take care,

Anja

Edited by Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Happy Birthday Piet.  Great day to celebrate your fine craftsmanship.

Many happy returns.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Oh wow, I'm overwhelmed by all your best wishes, thanks all and I'll have a glass of wine to toast myself, care to join? :cheers:  :cheers:

Johannes Ludo, I'm glad you liked the old F W pics, and thanks for the pic of the company logo, very nice.

Wacko Wolf Joe, yeah, a sub sure is a change from all the old and not so old sailing vessels.  Not forgetting the two German battleships, at least we are having another steel vessel going.  It'll have to made from wood but the final covering must simulate steel plating.  I think that the heavy paper should do the trick.  I'll keep the pics coming but not too many of the planking, everybody knows how to plank.

Amateur Jan,  yes, indeed, these old subs sure had nice lines and I think that the Dutch boats looked nicer then the German U boats.  Actually, the later Dutch boats from the O 21 to the O 27 really looked quite handsome. They were a little sleeker because they didn't have the wide sides to house the mines.

Dusty, your father must have been in the surface navy  ;)  Did he also call subs sewer pipes like we do in aviation?  I'm glad my dad doesn't hear that, he would have whacked me one  :P

Anja, bedankt voor de geluk wensen!  I like your emotions, really nice!

Mark, John and Anthony, thanks for stopping by, yes, she is taking shape but I need to also do some more work on the VOC ship, she is calling me  :)

Thanks everyone and cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Well, in case you are wondering what I did on my birthday, I cut planks!

I ran out of the ones I cut from the discarded pieces of lumber and had to buy a new board of 1/4 inch poplar.  I also went to the local hobby store to get some balsa blocks but they didn't have any.  I did buy a 12 X 24 inch sheet of 1 mm birch plywood.  That'll be nice for the conning tower and perhaps also for de deck structure.

Okay, now that I have enough planks I'll continue on with that chore.  This Wednesday I have to go to St. Augustine and I'll stop by at Hobby Lobby to see of they have balsa blocks.  I need that for a few locations in the bow and stern.

Here are a few pics of what I did besides gluing on a few more planks.

post-1399-0-47371500-1366076806_thumb.jpg

Yes, I did stop the bandsaw!  First I thought to take the pic with my left hand while holding the board with my right but thought better  :wacko:  Hey, my mom didn't raise a dummy  :D

post-1399-0-96611400-1366076853_thumb.jpg

These are all the 1 1/2 mm planks I got out of a 3 X 36 X 1/4 inch poplar board.  Let's see how far this brings me.  I definitely need another board for the deck structure.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

i know i am a day late but ne gelukkige verjaardag from me too

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Thanks Adrieke for your best wishes and no, you are still in time.  It's only 22:42 in Palm Coast, Florida.

I'm winding down though, glass of wine is almost finished and then for my beauty sleep.

btw, you speak Dutch???

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Thanks Adrieke for your best wishes and no, you are still in time.  It's only 22:42 in Palm Coast, Florida.

I'm winding down though, glass of wine is almost finished and then for my beauty sleep.

btw, you speak Dutch???

Cheers,

yup

i am from belgium but living in oz :)

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Happy Birthday

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi Piet,

Happy belated birthday, I just found your build log and am exicited about following it,  This is a great project, the sub in frame looks fabulous!  Makes me think of trying one, I have always wanted to build a model of Jules Verne's Nautilus. 

You mentioned that you weren't going to say much about planking, I really wish you would though.  I think it would be very interesting to hear about how you do it and the problems you may have to overcome with this hull shape.   I am also really interested in how you will do your simulated steel plating. 

take care,

john

John

future build: to finish Mary Rose

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8507-mary-rose-by-tarbrush-scale-172-1545/?hl=%2Bmary+%2Brose

completed builds:  Constructo Steam Launch Louise

& Andrieke, Oz is good!  That was my original choice to emigrate to way back in 1954 when I started paperwork.  I could have gone to South Africa because I had at that time instant citizenship due to my grandfather.  But my cousin talked me into the USA.  The American ambassador put me in front of the list and my waiting time was cut to almost instantaneous.  I left Holland in March of 1957.  America has been good to me. 

It's been a trip.

@ Johannes Ludo, thanks for the pics!  Now people can see how large this boat actually is.  She carries 40 of these mines, 20 on each side, 2 per tube.  These are the Vickers T MK III, 92 cm diameter and 119 cm tall.  See pics below.

I like the flag.  I'll attach the "battle flag" below.  The Dutch Navy calls it the "bloed flag" or blood flag.

@ Kevin and Amateur Jan, thanks for your best wishes. As mentioned sometime ago, I need an extra life to be able to do all the things I have planned.

@ Tarbrush John, Jules Verne's boat would really be an awesome project, go for it man.  There are plenty of pictures available to draw from.

As far as the planking is concerned, there is a great tutorial on MSW and the planking for this model is like the first planking many do on there build.  I cut the frames 1 mm smaller to accommodate the planking and the final paper covering to mimic steel plates. The planks are 1.5 mm thick by 1/4 inch wide .  I'll have to stiffen them on the inside I see now because the spacing of the frames are rather wide to safe weight.  I'll also fill the inside of the hull with industrial strength Styrofoam. 

Then sanding the outside smooth and fill the uneven spots with wood filler to make a good base for the paper "sheet steel." 

So I'm not too concerned with how the planking will look, it's just to form the foundation for the paper covering.

When I get to the final simulated steel plating with paper I'll give more detailed info with pics.  At least I hope it'll work as I planned it. 

post-1399-0-55706300-1366165205_thumb.jpg

O 19 "bloed vlag" or battle flag.

post-1399-0-80203700-1366165227.jpg

Tech drawing of the Vickers mine.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello fellow shipwrights,

Yesterday, on my way back from my birthday party held by our financial advisor, I stopped by at "Hobby Lobby" in St. Augustine and bought some needed "stuff."  I got a few blocks of balsa and 300 lbs cold pressed watercolor paper.  It's nice and heavy, close to 0.4 mm thick.  Just what the doctor ordered for the simulated steel hull plates.  I'm a happy camper.

Today I stopped by the local Home Depot and got wood filler and epoxy resin with fiberglass cloth.  I found that I really need to reinforce the planking on the inside to give it some more stiffness.  Even with the planned styrofoam it is still too spongy to my liking but that's the breaks in this business.  Trying to safe weight by skimping on bulkheads and now I have the extra work to do. 

But hey, I'm not going anywhere and this way I am assured of a good solid hull.

This afternoon I did some fine tuning on a few bulkheads that were not quite right by adding some veneer strips.  Even the long steel straight edge didn't catch it.  But that's okay, you can't win 'm all.

I made a closeup pic of the upper starboard planking over the main ballast tanks.  No remember that these still the raw planks without sanding.  The holes are for the pushpins to prevent the planks from splitting.  This just the base planking, they will be covered by the heavy paper and polymer adhesive.

post-1399-0-36412900-1366339136_thumb.jpg

Closeup of center top starboard planking over the main ballast tank/mine tube area.  The holes are for the pushpin "clamps."  These are 1/4 inch wide by 1.5 mm thick poplar planks and you can see there is quite a span between bulkheads.  2 mm planks may have given me the desired stiffness but then I'll be outside my scale.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello fellow shipwrights,

Yesterday, on my way back from my birthday party held by our financial advisor, I stopped by at "Hobby Lobby" in St. Augustine and bought some needed "stuff."  I got a few blocks of balsa and 300 lbs cold pressed watercolor paper.  It's nice and heavy, close to 0.4 mm thick.  Just what the doctor ordered for the simulated steel hull plates.  I'm a happy camper.

Today I stopped by the local Home Depot and got wood filler and epoxy resin with fiberglass cloth.  I found that I really need to reinforce the planking on the inside to give it some more stiffness.  Even with the planned styrofoam it is still too spongy to my liking but that's the breaks in this business.  Trying to safe weight by skimping on bulkheads and now I have the extra work to do. 

But hey, I'm not going anywhere and this way I am assured of a good solid hull.

This afternoon I did some fine tuning on a few bulkheads that were not quite right by adding some veneer strips.  Even the long steel straight edge didn't catch it.  But that's okay, you can't win 'm all.

I made a closeup pic of the upper starboard planking over the main ballast tanks.  No remember that these still the raw planks without sanding.  The holes are for the pushpins to prevent the planks from splitting.  This just the base planking, they will be covered by the heavy paper and polymer adhesive.

post-1399-0-36412900-1366339136_thumb.jpg

Closeup of center top starboard planking over the main ballast tank/mine tube area.  The holes are for the pushpin "clamps."  These are 1/4 inch wide by 1.5 mm thick poplar planks and you can see there is quite a span between bulkheads.  2 mm planks may have given me the desired stiffness but then I'll be outside my scale.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

this is a very interesting build you've undertaken.......a vast difference than what roams the surface.  I tip my hat for the reasons behind it, and for showing us this build...something few have done in the past.  I did a few sub kits in my younger days  {plastic},  and used to think that they were sort of boring.   but lately,  I have been seeing some that defy the imagination....so life-like and menacing.   the sharks of the sea,  they called them...and rightfully so.   I am amazed how the construction of the hull is going........you definitely have it spot -on.

superb job.......I'll definitely have to keep an eye on this one!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

@ Anthony, thanks for your bday wishes.  Actually I like the old sailing ships myself but the O 19 is a special project for me.  In my past life i started to study for ship's machinist and obtained 13 technical trade certificates in that field but then switched to aircraft design engineering.  Never obtained a degree in the Netherlands due to let's say "political circumstances."  So I decided to emigrate to the USA but worked for a year as aircraft mechanic for KLM in Amsterdam while waiting for my visa and green card.

In any case, my entire working life has been aircraft.  

Hey, I need to get me a Dutch battle flag, I can hoist that up on my VOC model  :D  It has enough cannons to double as a battle ship.

@ popeye, yeah, different alright even with the Scharnhorst and Bismarck, at least it's steel  ;)   I am still thinking about doing the plastic kit of the Polish boat "Orzel."  My father did visit that thing when it was being build in Holland and was duly impressed.  Someday I'll have to find the kit.

The German U boats did look more like sharks in my opinion.  Read up a lot about them, also a long story behind it from at the end of WW I when suddenly a"Dutch design bureau" came into existence.  The German engineering was superb as well as with their aircraft.

@ Boris, thank you for your interest in my build and I send you a personal message.  There are no electronic drawings, I have just a few on large sheets of paper.  I do want to help you with your quest though.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Anthony, thanks for the picture, I must have a larger version somewhere in my archives and make a flag when I get that far.  Seems like a capital idea because my ship is supposed to be hybrid anyhow, a heavily armed merchant ship that could double as a third rate.

I like the idea.  Now, depending on what year, the top orange band changed to red.  Right now i can't recall when that occurred.  I'll have to remind myself to use the correct color for around 1665.

I am ver slowly working a little on the VOC ship.  Making gunport lid hinges and then hanging them.  The O 19 seems to be more pressing at the moment.

Boris, I received your e-mail message and I'll be working on your request.  I don't know if the local print shop can handle the outsized pieces of paper.  We'll see.  Otherwise I'll go to plan B.

Cheers to all,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra