Hr. Ms. O 19 by Piet - 1939 - 1945, scale 1:50, submarine Royal Navy Netherlands - Finished

Hello fellow shipwrights,

As I mentioned early in my log the O 19 ran onto Ladd Reef in the South China Sea July 6, 1945.  The American sub USS Cod was dispatched to help and see if they could pull the O 19 off the reef.  All efforts failed and the crew of the O 19 was taken on board the USS Cod.  They then commenced to destroy the O 19 with demolition charges, gun fire and two torpedoes.  Well, it so happens that the USS Cod is mored in Cleveland, OH and the admiral and I will be in Pittsburgh, PA to attend our grandson's High School graduation in June.  I'm planning to take a drive to visit the USS Cod for a tour and chat with the curator. :dancetl6:

Unfortunately I can't make it for the July 9 O 19 commemoration day.  But there is always next year.

I also have been in touch with the assistant curator of the USS Cod who is sending a bunch of photos and videos of the O 19 and also the rescue operation.  I hope to see my father on one of the photos, keep my fingers crossed.

In the meantime I have filled the O 19 hull with foam to give the planks support from the inside but I first glued fiberglass patches with epoxy resin to the underside of the planks already installed.  That really gave the planks a lot of rigidity.

It was a real messy procedure but am glad it's done.  Now I can continue with gluing all the planks to the hull.  The bow and stern parts will be last because of the peculiar shape of the hull bottom.  I'll have to study the photos real good with the body and sheer plans to get an idea how the shape flows. It's all because of the extra width of the hull due to the mine tubes.

Here are a few pics as the model looks right now.  Not very pretty but it'll all be covered with wood.

post-1399-0-40705400-1366766401_thumb.jpg

The O 19 hull filled with styrofoam seen from the quarter starboard side.  I ran out of the can with the white stuff and had to take a run to the store for another can and just picked one off the shelf.  It turned out to be also fire resistant foam.  A befitting color for a lady  ;)

post-1399-0-68963300-1366766422_thumb.jpg

The O 19 hull filled with styrofoam seen from the quarter port side.

post-1399-0-80276700-1366766439_thumb.jpg

The O 19 hull filled with styrofoam seen from the stern.  Now you can see the form taking shape.

post-1399-0-60311400-1366766456.jpg

We were talking about flags a few posts ago, here is a picture of the Pendant of the O 19.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Update on battle flags.

There are 8 battle flags used during the eighty year war with Spain. I won't show all of them, this can easily bee Googled.

The flag Anthony showed, the yellow flag with a red lion holding a sword is not mentioned anywhere but no doubt used in the Seventeenth Century.  According to several paintings it is prominently flowing from the top of the mainmast.

Attached is a copy of a painting from 1602, still in the years of the Eighty Year War, with the golden colored flag with the red lion of Holland.

Ill attach only two pictures of the Eighty Year War battle flags.

I'll also attach a picture of the current Koninklijke Marine (Royal Navy) pendant (Jack).

post-1399-0-84540600-1366769008_thumb.jpg

Dutch ship running down Spanish gallyes, 3 Oct 1602

post-1399-0-58016500-1366768665_thumb.jpg

detail of the "Battle Flag."

post-1399-0-57886700-1366768765_thumb.jpg

Eighty year War battle flag 1

post-1399-0-59054000-1366768790_thumb.jpg

Eighty year War battle flag 2

post-1399-0-83488100-1366768841_thumb.png

Royal naval Jack.

Cheers,

post-1399-0-62244100-1366768408_thumb.jpg

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Mind you: well into the 17th century there was no 'national' navy: both admiral;ity (navy) as VOC (and for a short period WIC) where organised on a regional level (the VOC called them 'kamers' (chambers)). There was coordination within the regions, and very little between them. The flags used may not be as standardized as we think they were.

The same with respect to colours: there has been no standar colours well into the 19th century. ONly then the standard colours were defined.

Don't pay too much attention to red, orange and anything in between......

Jan

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

It's been a few weeks since my last post but that doesn't mean I've been sitting on my hands.  I've been busy as a beaver.

To get back to the topic on flags and colors.  Jan is correct as far as no standardization of flags but the colors is rather interesting.  The orange dyes used in the early years was a mix of red and yellow dye making it orange.  However, the yellow was not color fast and faded over time leaving the red.  

I heard fairly recently when listening to a Dutch radio station for music, that Queen Beatrix ruled that red was officially the color of the top band in the national flag.  

Now back to the O 19 build.  I didn't want to clutter up this log with a gezillion photos of me planking the hull.  We all know how that goes but I'd like to show a little progress picture for yuns to see how she is coming along.

The reason for the slow progress is that now I have arrived at doing the bow and stern sections with plenty of compound curves that require me to cut the planking into narrow strips, wetting many of them, bending to fit, clamp them in place, letting them dry and then finally gluing them on.  I can only glue a few at a time working at both ends at the same time but even so it is slow going.

I have been filing and sanding the center portion as I'm waiting for the glue to take, at least one hour before I can remove the push-pin clamps.  I have to be careful with the sanding because the planks are only 1.5 mm think.

I also need to use some wood filler in areas where I have some unevenness and divots.  So far I'm pretty happy with the results I see.

The plan is that after the hull is planked and evened out with wood filler I'll cover the hull with a VERY light Dacron fabric and epoxy resin before I use the heavy paper to simulate the steel hull plates.  There are areas that need to be moulded with either the wood filler I have or bondo to simulate the forms I see on the photos of the boat.  The bow doors are a case in point.

After the hull is done to my satisfaction I'll start with the deck structure and perhaps make one of the mine tubes visible with a working top lid.  I'm not gong to to make the torpedo doors workable, too much involved   :(

Okay, enough of my banter and here is the picture I took today late afternoon.

This shows the present condition of the O 19.  Both sides are at about the same level of closure.  The top is completely closed in now.  The dots you see are the push pin holes I use to "clamp" the planks to the frames, works like a charm.  I attached two of the photo's I have of the O 19 to the wall and hardware bin to help as a guide.  These photos were taken as she was just before the launch in 1939.  My father is amongst the crew photo on the right.

Here you can see how many curves there are and it'll be a dog to simulate them all.  Well, at least I don't have to carve lions, dolphins, trumpet blowing angels, knight heads and what have you.  It would be funny though to have a roaring Dutch lion on the bow  :D  :D

post-1399-0-42662800-1368066587_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello again Piet, it has been a while since commenting but I have been watching this marvellous build - she looks great!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Oh my, you really have been a busy beaver. It's great to see the hull taking her shape. At first I didn't understand why the bow is so much higher, but when I checked the drawings I understood, the deck structure needs to be build up on top of the hull. Are you going to show some details below the deck too?

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

you've made some fine progress......looking super!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Piet,

You really put your teeth in it!!! It takes a lot of time to get that hull planked right, so far it looks very promising. Keep it up.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Piet,

Simply wonderful craftsmanship.  The planking is looking great.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you all my dear friends, your comments are appreciated and encouraging.

Remco, the only thing I plan to add between the upper hull and the deck is the side-launch torpedo tube assy.  There are also outside torpedo storage areas aft of the bridge but that's only indicated with lines of the lids.  They kinda get lost between de teak deck planking.  The stuff on the deck is already time consuming as is and more important.  Just aft of the con was a small dingy stored below this deck, hmmm, maybe?  I'll have to wing it for the shape because right now I have no drawings.  I'll ask Gino den Ridder if one of his buddies in holland can obtain one or photos.

re the upper bow structure, yes, the deck structure fastens to it and will become flush.  These Dutch subs had a rise of the deck going forward, kinda nice looking.

Well, this is it for now.  I have added a few more planks today!  Once I start putting the wood filler on I can do some work on the VOC ship between wood putty drying time.  Gunport lids is the VOC project.

Cheers to all,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello all y'all shipwrights,

Drum roll please - - -  :pirate41:   and open a bottle of the bubbly   :champagne-2:

the bow section is now closed with the base planking!!!!  

I have also started to put some wood filler on the planks to see how she is shaping up. So far it looks pretty good, very minor areas to fill but necessary for the next stage with the Dacron and epoxy resin covering.  I may have to do a final treatment with bondo or a polymer paste before I can put the paper "steel" plates on.  

Below are a few pics.

post-1399-0-54662300-1368229668_thumb.jpg

Close up of the closed bow section port side. That rounded thingy on the bottom is the location of the "mushroom anchor" (paddestoel anker in Dutch).  The anchor mechanism to lower it and raise it was mounted on top of the forward pressure hull and under the deck structure.  See next picture.

As stated above I added some wood filler to smooth out the planking and cover some of the divots and unevenness. 

post-1399-0-85132000-1368230004_thumb.jpg

This is the anchor mechanism (ankerlier in Dutch) shown mounted to the O 19 when it was being build.  That big round tubular thingy is the escape hatch in the forward torpedo room.

post-1399-0-95979900-1368229689_thumb.jpg

Another picture of the port bow.

post-1399-0-23061700-1368229711_thumb.jpg

looking forward over the top of the hull with the raw planking in place.  You can see the rounded portion of the pressure hull in the center with the extended sides for the mine tubes.  Just the stern to be done now!

post-1399-0-24092600-1368229731_thumb.jpg

Looking aft from the bow.  Yes, still some dressing up to do.  The bow will get the cable and net cutter as the original boat had it.  I hope you can see the torpedo bow doors, them the things that angle in forward.

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

very nice Piet ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello all y'all shipwrights,

There are festivities at the Flying Dutchman's shipyard!!  The entire hull of the O 19 is now closed in with the base planking!  I put on a CD with the Mariniers Kapel and poured myself a good Belgian beer, Trapist   :champagne:

I also smeared wood putty over the hull and sanded it down.  I like that word, smear, reminds of the Dutch word "smeren."  :D  :D  Is better then spreading, that's so proper.

I'm still nit-picking at at several locations but overall she looks quite good and even to me.  The biggest problem I found is that there is too much spacing between several bulkheads and the thin planking has a tendency to sag a little in between.  The foam was not much help and in retrospect I should have made more bulkheads.  However, the sag is VERY minor, estimated at a cat's whisker.  It didn't take much filler to bring the hull to proper contour.

I'm now almost ready to glue the thin Dacron cloth to the hull with epoxy resin and then correct any imperfections with either bondo or acrylic paste.  I don't like bondo that much, it has a rather short short shelf life once mixed with the hardener.. The acrylic paste takes a lot longer to cure and is nice and pliable.  I used that stuff in painting pictures with acrylic paints.  The artists among yuns understand what I'm talking about.

I couldn't help myself in drawing the outline of the deck on top of the hull.  I'm also looking for a drawing or photos of the little sloop that was stowed blow deck aft of the con.  I only have two photos of that thing but it's difficult to use for a model of it.  

Next step is drawing up the deck structure frames.  This time I'm going to make enough frames but i'm using 1 mm plywood for the covering that should be rigid enough, I hope.

Okay, here are a few pics of the current status.

post-1399-0-79147400-1368656253_thumb.jpg

3/4 starboard side view of closed hull with some of the sanded down wood filler.  As mentioned above, the final finishing will be done after the Dacron cloth is put on and before gluing the fake steel plates made from paper.

post-1399-0-25130000-1368656272_thumb.jpg

A view from the stern.

post-1399-0-71574400-1368656287_thumb.jpg

A view 3/4 from the bow.

post-1399-0-95272900-1368656305_thumb.jpg

The prelim lines of the deck and conning tower location.

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

yummy nothing better then some good belgian beer to celebrate :)

beuatiful job you are doing

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Ahhhh......very nice.  Good luck with the dacron/epoxy.  Maybe you will not need any Bondo at all !

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Subs are something special. Great build log. Good luck and give us updates :)

Past build: BRACERA

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do... Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the tradewinds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover"

KIND REGARDS!

ELMIR

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your likes and comments, really appreciated. :)

Jim, yes, she is looking like the photos I have of her sitting on the skids [slip-way] at the shipyard.  

Randy, thanks for joining my build and pull up a chair and help quaff a few good Belgian beers  :)

Andrieke, thanks for looking in and btw, the Admiral just bought a 6 pack of Palm beer!  They are finally stocking it in the local supermarket in our little hick town. 

Augie,  if I keep tweaking the hull as I'm doing now you may be right but I won't bet on it though.  This pm as I walked by from the mailbox the light must have hit just right and I noticed a few areas that need some shaving of wood.  The harder grains don't sand down as easy as the adjacent softer grans, even when using a long sanding block.  Even at a scale of 1:50 minor imperfections will be very noticeable and I want it to be right.

Elmir, thanks for stopping by for a look see.  Yes, my father loved them.  My whole working life I worked on another kind of metal tube, airplanes and flew them as well.  I would give my newly implanted eye tooth for a ride in one.

Well, today I took a day off from the shipyard for another project.  However, Now I need to draw up the deck structure frames and will have to spend some time at my drafting table.

Below are copies of the original lines for the deck structure but they are of unknown and different scale.  That'll be fun B)

So, all y'all wish me luck with that endeavor.

post-1399-0-62295600-1368756968_thumb.jpeg

This is the original body plan for the mine laying submarine designated as O 17.  This plan was drawn up by the Koninklijke Marine [Royal Navy (Netherlands)] in 1934.  It was revised with a flatter bottom to accommodate 2 mines in one tube, 10 tubes on each side, making it 40 mines.  The only part I can use are the deck lines.   

post-1399-0-72079000-1368757228_thumb.jpg

These are the sheer, half-breadth and deck plans for the O 19.  I used these lines before with the modified body plan of 1936 for the hull frames.  It should not be too difficult to draw up the deck frames, he says with full confidence :P . 

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

i am sure you ll be cutting out the frames for the deck soon :)

mmm  een palmke havent had that in years either. nejoy them :)

Hey Andrieke,

Perhaps not as quick as I would like but I made the body plan drawing to scale 1:50!  It's a start.

I'm still tweaking the hull with wood filler stuff, I keep finding little valleys and other imperfections.  

Tomorrow is a day off for me from the shipyard so perhaps Sunday I start cutting the Dacron fabric for the hull.  I have to work fast because the epoxy resin pot life is not very long.  I'll mix small badges so I won't waste much, the frugal Dutchman in me  :rolleyes:

Okay Andrieke, here is to your health, I just poured myself a nice cold Palm beer.  Proost!

post-1399-0-24705700-1368832280_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

you are teasing me Piet :huh:

but enjoy it and in the correct glass too yummy :)

Hi Piet,

I know that submarines are in action under a low profile…...

You did a good job then!

I didn't see her  :D

I saw the periscope just above the surface so I have to take a look where she was.

And I find you!

A little late because you are 9 pages further but here I'm.

I just read you're hole introduction about her and your father , but only a small comment.

You write that Wilton Feyenoord is in Rotterdam…..wrong, It is Schiedam!

We are living just 2 KM from the old warf.

I've bin there many times wit her 7 dry-docks :D

Then you also talk about Narcisplein……just at the end of the Anthony Knottebeltsingel…..

I'm driving true there with a bus  :D  :D

If you want a picture how it looks these days, let me know.

That count also for Wilton Feyenoord.

Now it's back to your build.

It looks just amazing!I think it's more difficult to scratch a sub instead of a VOC ship because of her lines.

But I really love what I'm seeing.

I will follow you closely.

Thanks Piet!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

hello Piet, :)

I missed this log and just ran into it now.  Wow, now that is something different to see. I just love subs. I always wants to build a WW1 German cruiser sub, but got lost in the Scharnhorst build. Keep it up Piet, You are doing some good work. Did this class of subs have ballast water inlet ports to help in diving?

Cheers

Paul    :10_1_10:

NEVER RETREAT - NEVER SURRENDER

JUST DO IT YOUR WAY AND NEVER LOOK BACK

Current Build:

1:72nd German WWII Heavy Battle Cruiser DKM Scharnhorst http://modelshipworld...1:72ndDKMScharnhorst/

Future Build Logs:

German WWII Captured Flower Class Corvette.

German WWII Armed Trawler.

German WWII Aircraft Carrier - Graf Zeppelin.

Paul although a British sub and post WW2 - the Oberon class of which i was on Odin had what they called a Q tank, basicly a fwd tank with a quick fill capability, and could also be flooded if resting on the sea bed where it acted like an anchor

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

@ Andrieke, just in fun my friend.  :)   Homesick?  Nah, Oz is good with some good beer as well.  Yeah, I was lucky to get a Palm glass.  When I had to go to the Netherlands for Uncle I visited my niece in Bergen op Zoom and her husband and I would buy a sampling of several Belgian beers.  He has quite a selection of matching glasses for many of them.  I really enjoyed those times.

@ Sjors,  where have you been man, I had a special Lazy-boy chair set up for you with your favorite brew.  Glad you made it to my build log and come anytime for a visit.  You can go visit Mobsie but what am I, chopped liver?  ;)  ;)   But in order to come and visit us you'll have to use an aluminum sewer pipe called airplane. :D  :D

Yes indeed, submarines like to use a low profile :rolleyes: , not that they are shy, just sneaky  -_-

I also know that W F is in Schiedam, see paragraph 4 of my intro.  I should have added the word "near" in front of Rotterdam.  May have to revise it, someday.

Well, when we lived at 3 Narcisplein in Vlaardingen Ambacht, the Anthony Knottenbelt Singel from the Goud Singel south was a water ditch (sloot) with meadowlands next to it as far as the eye can see.  There was a narrow footpath next to it behind the houses.  That little open space next to the Goud Singel was our play ground then.

Wow, things have changed a lot.  

I will certainly appreciate a few pics of # 3 Narcisplein and that little "plantsoenetje" in front of our ex house.  I remember chasing the ice cream man in the then existing Anthony Knottenbelt Singel on my "autoped."

Pics of W F would also be nice, all visible memories.  I do visit Holland a lot via Google earth, at least I can afford that nowadays.  Since my retirement no more trips to the Netherlands for Uncle Sam.

@ Paul, thanks for visiting Paul, I have extra chairs set aside for yuns ship crafters.  At least my boat is also iron like yours  :P  Aren't you building a WW II U-boat of plastic?  Not exactly a WW I cruiser but they didn't change much.  

Hmmm ballast tank inlet ports, well, how do you suppose they can go under water?  Duh! :)  :)   Pretty much everything outside the pressure hull was tanks, either for water ballast and/or extra fuel.  She had also what they call trim tanks in the bow and stern area.  

Like Kevin mentions, she could be rock solid on the ocean floor with all tanks flooded.  This reminds me of an incident my father told me about when one of the subs he served on got tangled up in fishing nets and couldn't move up, down, forwards or backward and they were quite a way down from the surface.  He got her freed up though.  Some big brass &%#(* - - - - :omg:

I'll show a picture of the interior arrangement very soon with hopefully some explanations in English.  Not everybody here can read Dutch, pity.   ;) 

@ Kevin, thanks for looking in and helping out with sub technicalities. 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

@ Kevin, thanks for looking in and helping out with sub technicalities. 

Pleasure to help

i loved my time on diesel submarines, cramped, damp, smelly, horrible in rough weather, i spent 8 years on Odin - brilliant time

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat