Hr. Ms. O 19 by Piet - 1939 - 1945, scale 1:50, submarine Royal Navy Netherlands - Finished

Thanks Remco!  A very nice dingy for sure.  I know, working with a plug may give me a perhaps better looking jol but that'll be for plan B.  Right now I'll give it a good try, just having fun testing my abilities.

Cheers, 

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hmmm a dinghy???? magic as usual.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Hello John, good to see you.  magic????  Hardly, just having fun trying something.  

How are you coming with your whaler ship?

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Thanks everyone for your interest, encouragement and likes.

This morning I cut-out the frames for the dingy.  So far so good.  I may have to remake two but first I have to make sure.

My dear bride Gwen took ill so I may have to be a little helper to her, the poor thing.

I'll try gluing the frames to the keel tomorrow and see how it's shaping up.  They are still oversize on the inside, waiting for the planking.  After the planking is on then I can trim the inside of the frames, I figured out how I can do that. 

As long as the end product looks okay then I'm happy.  

post-1399-0-98580600-1414372828_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

nice start on the dingy :)     as kit builds go,  these are considered mini builds.   gonna look great when you get it all together.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Yeah sure, in your dreams my friend Sjors.  No, this is an official part of the O19, thus no new build log, so . . .   :P  ;)

Hoi Carl, well, it's a start but I don't now how good it'll be.  We'll know as we progress but I'll give it good try.

Hi Popeye, thanks and yes, it's tiny alright - - - and delicate I found out.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement.

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Thanks to all for visiting and your likes.

We made some progress today and I earned a Purple Heart !

I cemented all the frames to the keel this morning, then had some lunch while it was busy curing.

After lunch the frames were rock-solid on the keel and looked like they all lined up okay.  So I removed the paper locator strips and cleaned the frames up.  In doing so I managed to cut a nice groove in my thumb, O negative blood gushing all over the place - - - not really, just joshing yuns  :D

I found a left over strip of 1 X 1 mm strip from the deck slats for the O19 and cut a small piece to use as the keelson.

It's still rough but that's intentional.  I have to put the planking on first before I can do some serious cleaning and shaping the inside.  I would really like to but-plank the hull but I guess it should be klinker or lapstrake.  That makes it more difficult to final shape the planking.  I have pre-faired the frames by eye before cementing them to the keel but may have to be faired a little more.  I'll check tomorrow and see how it looks.  The frames are rather delicate for fairing without support.  I guess that's where the plug method works good but hey, I wanted to give this a try and see if I could do it this way.

Alright, that's a worry for tomorrow.  I'll figure out something.

Here are a few pics to show yuns today's work.  The first 4 pics are the frames in the process of being cemented to the frame and viewed from different angles.  The last 4 show the "naked" frames after they are cemented and roughly cleaned.  The stern piece still needs to be cemented on end preparations made for the rudder hinges.  That in itself will be a challenge.

post-1399-0-51014700-1414461005_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-48473800-1414461019_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-16781900-1414461031_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-97332000-1414461042_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-91120200-1414461054_thumb.jpg

That light colored slat is the keelson and that red stain to the right on the build board is my precious blood.  No, it doesn't hurt, only when I get acetone or MEK on it  ;)

post-1399-0-82723200-1414461066_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-60115300-1414461080_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-81230100-1414461148_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

looking very nice Piet...........I've not used the plug method either.   makes it harder to do,  but it works  ;)   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Unless I'm missing something, did you ever complete your VOC Dutch East Indianman ? You have been really involved with the O 19 submarine and perhaps the ship model was forgotten.

Inquiring minds want to know.

I believe Piet has said somewhere that he plans on continuing work on his Surabaya once the O-19 is complete but for now I think he has it on the back burner.

Lextin.

Edited by qwerty2008

"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein.

WOW, thank you all for visiting my shipyard and your likes, much appreciated.

@ Anthony, yes, Lextin has it correct.  The VOC ship "Surabaya" is patiently waiting on the workbench.  Actually, the pictures of the sloop in the last post are taken right in front of her.  You can't see it because I have covered her up to keep the dust off.

There is something new developing though.  I have to refer you to my signature and look at future builds.  There you'll see the M.S. Musi.  That's my wife's father's ship he was captain on till his (forced) retirement. Remco and I, mainly Remco, are doing the research on her for a possible scratch build in scale 1:50.

This is all rather tentative right now.  Remco did get me the lines and deck layout but I like to have photos or better yet drawings for the deck furniture.  

The O19 will be called completed when de dingy is done and hanging on the hoist boom.  The few crew members and spare parts are things I can do in between.

I will go back to the VOC ship and continue work on her.  I just need to manage my time better so I can do all my projects together and not get fixated with one.

@ Popeye, well, I was seriously considering doing it with a plug but then I got this crazy thought of a plank on frame model.  At this scale a plug would perhaps be easier but being a real stubborn old Dutchman I have to try it.  Good practice for my planned VOC Jacht in a lamp.

@ qwerty Lextin, yep, you are right.  See my note above to Anthony (crackers).  Actually, there is a connection with the VOC ship, my father and my father in law.  My father wanted to go to the merchant marine and work for the KPM in the Netherlands East Indies.  It didn't work out as he wanted it and joined the Navy.  My father in law did work for the KPM in the Netherlands East Indies from before the war with Japan and after he was liberated from a POW camp he went back to that company.  He became captain on the M.S. Musi in 1951.  He was also a Navy Reservist and attained the rank of Lieutenant Commander.

Okay, wat is the connection?  The KPM (Koninklijke Pakketvaart Maatschappij or Royal Packet Company) was actually and for all practical purposes the continuation of the VOC after it went bankrupt in the late 1800ds.  The KPM was a large and very successful shipping company that even had several cargo / passenger liners that sailed to Australia, New Zeeland, Japan, South Africa and Brazil.  Some of these ships were called "White Yachts."  

Nothing on the Musi plans is cast in stone right now.  The urge is there and Gwen, my wife, is all for it with the only stipulation not to neglect my other duties.  That's why I need to control myself better.  I am 99% ready for it.  As soon as de O19 is done and off my "South" workbench I can make a build dock for the Musi.

Well, that's quite a long story but I'm rather enthused over it and hope we can gather some info on the deck furniture I can start.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Today I spend cleaning up the dingy and fairing the frames.  And yep, I broke one of the frames.  Like I said, they are very delicate but it was my own fault.  Okay, this is my excuse, remember that I put a rather deep gash in my thumb?  Well, it has a bandaid on it and things are sticking out of it and it's rather awkward working with it.  So, I hooked it on one of the frames and it snapped.  

I don't see this as a big problem though.  I'll put a few planks on it first and then cement this frame back in.

The fairing went easier then I thought.  I used a nice sharp diamond type file and with delicate strokes I managed to get the frames all faired in.  The planking will be lapstrake.

Actually I managed to cement the first plank to it, the garboard strake.  I didn't bather making the rabbet but added a narrow strip to the bow post for the planks to adhere to.

Tomorrow we'll see how it looks and do some sanding to this first plank.

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Piet,

The dingy is taking shape and looking good. I look forward to your next builds.

I don't have sticking plasters on my fingers to cause problems but I do have rough skin that catches on small detail. My wife's answer was to get me to use her hand cream. Although it hasn't improved my model making it does make me smell nicer! :)

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

in the world of scratch,  one thing is for certain.........anything can happen  :)   you have a remedy for it,  that's what matters  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thank you all for visiting my log and your likes.

Hello Ian, thanks for dropping in and your encouraging words and you're not even home on the range  ;) Yeah, the next build - still doing research on deck furniture but not making progress.  I think I'll have to wing it and do the best I can to replicate all that stuff as best I can.

Surgical gloves will surely make your hands as smooth as a baby's bottom.  Hmmm, come to think of it - they can be rather smelly at times, those bottoms that is, better stick with the cream.  ;)

Hey Popeye, yep, stuff happens in scratch build but that's all part of the fun, finding a fix for it.

Hoi Carl, you think a bandaid will help?????  I ripped the one on my thumb off this morning, can't work with it. 

I did manage to add two more planks today.  It's slow going but I have nowhere else to go.  No pics though.  Want to repair the broken frame first before the photo shoot.

Cheers to all,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Piet,

You want to deprive us of some major 'learning by mistake' :huh:

Heavy planks I presume, your injured thumb won't be a big help either. We'll just wait patiently on your pictures and progress. Take care

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hoi Carl, I guess vanity set in and shame  ;)  No, my friend, I'll make a picture of it with an explanation.  I really should star over again and may just do it but using a different method making the frames.  

I'm stubborn enough to just do that.  Tomorrow, with an explanation and pics, promise - - - provided I survive this crazy bug.

Right now I'm battling a flue like thing that drug me down.  I caught it from Gwen, naturally - - it's her fault  ;)

By the way, all you y'all - attention please - - - I visited the Urology Center this morning and received the results of the three pieces of tissue from the bladder for the biopsy.  He even included one sample of the muscle.  The verdict - - drumroll please - - - all three are negative, NO benign tissue!!!!!   :D  :D  :D  :dancetl6:

No cancer anymore!!!!   :champagne-2:

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Wow...must be the Leffe my friend, prayers are answered. I'm so pleased to hear that it's gone away, so that must mean you have many more ship's to build, and many more Leffe's to consume. Here's one to you so kick that flu stuff in the butt! Take care Mate.

John & Diane

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Hoi Carl, I guess vanity set in and shame ;) No, my friend, I'll make a picture of it with an explanation. I really should star over again and may just do it but using a different method making the frames.

I'm stubborn enough to just do that. Tomorrow, with an explanation and pics, promise - - - provided I survive this crazy bug.

Right now I'm battling a flue like thing that drug me down. I caught it from Gwen, naturally - - it's her fault ;)

By the way, all you y'all - attention please - - - I visited the Urology Center this morning and received the results of the three pieces of tissue from the bladder for the biopsy. He even included one sample of the muscle. The verdict - - drumroll please - - - all three are negative, NO benign tissue!!!!! :D:D:D:dancetl6:

No cancer anymore!!!! :champagne-2:

Cheers,

Hi Piet

That's brilliant news!!! Makes you feel bulletproof and strong enough to fight any challenge off.

Well done.

Edited by Omega1234

I am happy for you Piet.  My shop mgr. had a brother who died from bladder cancer.  He told me that it was a nasty piece of work.  Congratulations on dodging a bullet.  You have god looking over your shoulder.

David B

Piet,

I'm very glad you're in the clear. (I presume you mean: 'only benign tissue' or 'no malign tissue') I do admire your strength of will, perseverance, and optimism (the waiting will not have been easy!)

Take care with that flu (Gwen too)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hello everyone and thank you all for your best wishes, support and all the likes.

We are still under the weather with this flu like condition but we keep trucking.

Okay, I took one pic of the disaster with the dingy. I have now two broken ribs and am making plans to remake this bloom'n thing.  However, being the stubborn Dutchman I am going to finish this one even if it kills me, not really, it's just a figure of speech  ;)

I cut the frames from a boxwood plank that I sanded down to 1 mm with the vertical grains on the bottom side.  I was hoping that by being extremely careful they wouldn't snap on me till the bottom planking was on.  Well, no such luck.

What I'll do for the next one is sand the boxwood plank down to 1/2 mm or so and glue them together 90 degrees opposed to each other.  That way the frames can support each other.  I guess i could run out to the hobby store and buy another sheet of 1 mm plywood for $20 bucks.  No, I'll play with this method, it looks much better from solid wood instead of seeing the plies and I'll have a nice glue surface too.

So, I'll look at this thing as my practice piece.  I can even use it as a spare dingy on the display board.  Add some damage to it and claim it's waiting for repairs ;)   I need to do the stern planking also a little different at the keel.  

Who would have thought that such a little thing can give you such grief.  But then again, I'm doing it the unorthodox way.

post-1399-0-25342100-1414895933_thumb.jpg

Well, this shows a little better then half of the bottom planking glued on.  What I'll do with this one is make two new ribs with the "new" method and glue them in.  I used 1 X 3 mm planks, soaked them in water, shaped them on the frames and let them dry.  Then glued them om and after the glue had cured I sanded the planks down to 1/2 mm.  That way they would lay down nicely for the lapstrake.  They do look rather convincing. 

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Even with the broken ribs it looks good, Piet. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Piet:

I'm playing a little catching up this morning. Been swamped with writing the instructions for the lifeboat kit project....almost done.

So glad to get back and enjoy the amazing progress on your build....and to read the good news regarding your health concerns.

The dingy looks like fun. Might as well build two while you're at it, and bring one to the April show.

Keep up the beautiful work my friend.

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Looking good Piet. One of my club members showed a lifeboat that he made. What he advised was to make a plug to the shape of the of the boat and build on it. Make the plug to the dimensions of the interior then place it to a building board with station lines. Drip candle wax over it and rub it and wipe off the excess. This will help in removing the hull. By using the plug he did not worry about broken ribs since they were supported by the plug.

David B