Hr. Ms. O 19 by Piet - 1939 - 1945, scale 1:50, submarine Royal Navy Netherlands - Finished

Hi, Piet, it's nice to see your submarine model photo used as your new avatar.  Your father would be very proud of this worthy modeling accomplishment, my friend.  The thought and work going into the dinghy will certainly enhance this submarine model. 

Fair Winds,

Joe

Hi Piet. Can't argue with Joe... He's absolutely correct!

Been browsing this amazing build Piet. Beautiful work on the sub. It's a good thing you do as a tribute to your father. I'm sure he's up there smiling from ear to ear.

Cheers  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thank you all for visiting and "liking" my work, it's really much appreciated. 

Hi Joe, good seeing you again and your kind words.  I was hoping to have the model finished on his birthday, which was the 22 but things didn't work out that way.

Yeah, that little dinghy was a part of the essential equipment on board so I couldn't leave it out.  This was really not the plan when i started this model though.  Originally it was just gong to be a static model as seen from the outside without any frills ut one thing leads to another and before I knew it I added a lot more "stuff."  

Hey, did you check my new kit model I'm making?  The Muscongus bay Lobster Smack.  A What a nice little model and I hope I can do as good a job on her as you are doing on your day sailer. 

Hello Omega, thanks for the compliment.  I'm still in awe about your 1 cm dinghy - - - and no, I'm not going to make one that small  :o

Hi George, welcome to my busy shipyard and thanks for browsing my build log and your kind words.  Drop in any time, the coffee is always on.  

No work doe on any of the models today.  The weather was dry and 85 degrees F so I did some heavy pruning on the hedge ate the side of our backyard.  It looks kinda awful right now but they will grow back in with a vengeance here in Florida.  Then more trimming.

Cheers to all,  

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Diane & I wish you, Gwen and your family a very happy and Blessed Thanksgiving...

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Hello John, thank you for the best wishes and of course Gwen and I wish you and Diane also a very blessed Thanksgiving.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello all and Gwen and I wish all a very happy and healthy Thanksgiving.  And to all non Americans have a great and healthy day!

Between all the chores around the house I did manage to cement the frames to the v.2.0's keel.  The only problem I had was with frame 9.  I didn't want to cut a slot into the sternpost knee and decided to cut that frame in the center and but cement it to the keel.  Ill drill a few holes in it so I can pin the two sides to the keel with a bamboo pin.  This in itself will be adventure because of the grain at that point.

Right now it's not strong enough to hold up to all the handling that'll take place with the planking.

I have pre-faired all the frames but will check the fairing and adjust it as necessary.  As you can see on the pics below I have added small strips of about 1 mm between the frames to give them a little more strength.  I may have to run a thin strip over all the frame bottoms like a keelson. 

All these frames are still rough and will be dressed down after the planking is on.  Compared to Omega's dinghy this is a giant vessel  ;)

Okay, here are the pics of the progress I made.

post-1399-0-83580000-1417060254_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-13133500-1417060265_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-28674000-1417060281_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-23898900-1417060292_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-09680800-1417060306_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

That's looking great Piet! Hope you and yours have a great Thanksgiving.

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Oh my.  My brain hurts just from thinking of doing something that small and delicate.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Beautifully done Piet, also agree about your new Avatar being a good move.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Pictures on this wonderful thursday  :D  :D

How can you make just that tiny thing.....( Dinghy )

Amazing...

Watch out when you are on the planking.

Are you using matchsticks for that ?????

Sjors

awesome looking frame Piet.......2.0 is well under way!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Weeeeel done !!!!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

absolutely amazing how you can make a tiny thing like that.

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Fantastic start.  Best wishes for the Holiday!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hello everyone and hope all yuns have or had a very great Thanksgiving day!

@ George: Thank you for your kind comments and best wishes.  We also wish you and your family a great T day.

@ Mark: Head hurting??? At least it's not from the booze  ;)   Although that may come tomorrow morning.

Thank you too Mark for your compliment, the dinghy or jol is coming along, sloooooooowly.

@ Michael: Thank you Michael for dropping in and yes, I should have changed my avatar a long time ago.  Thanks for noticing.

@ Sjors:  Yeah, pictures why not.  I try to work one day on the dinghy / jol and the next day on the lobster smak kit.  Actually, today was the lobster smak's turn but I did get some dinghy time in.  

Well, compared to Omega's plank on frame dinghy this is a giant boat ;)   Yup, the palnking will be a challenge but I seem to thrive on that.  I'm using poplar wood .  I cut 1.5 mm planks from a poplar board that I need to sand down some and then make into lapstrake or klinker planks.  These planks will eventually be about 0.5 mm thick.  I still need to remake my scraper tool from a razor blade to carve that little step into it..  Hey, version 2.0 has to be the cat's meow  :) 

@ Popeye:  Yup, it's going - - - very slowly but surely.

@ Nenad:  Thank you my friend.

@ Adriaan:  Thank you. It's rather fun though once I had figured out not to repeat the same mistakes I made on version 1.0.  Nothing like a learning curve.

@ Joe, Thank you very much for your kind words.  Oh come on now Joe, I am aiming at doing my lobster smak as well as your little day sailer.  Thank you also for your best wishes and we also wish you and your family a belated happy T-day.

@ Augie: Good to see you here and thanks for the best wishes and your compliment.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Thanks to everyone for your like votes, I appreciate it very much.  

Today was the Lobster Smack kit day but while the glue was curing on mounting the frames to the center keel frame I decided to try and put treenails into the last frames of the dinghy.  As mentioned in my last post that fame is only 1.5 mm thick so I had to pick a drill bit small enough to still have enough meat left.  I picked a #75 drill bit and used my small electric hand drill and carefully drilled the holes slightly angled so as not te interfere with the opposite one.    This worked okay and the frames remained glued to the keel and they didn't break.  Lucked out again.

I then split a bamboo skewer and spilt a thin sliver off of it. With a #11 blade i scraped it further down to size so it would slide into the holes.  With some PVA on the treenails I managed to push the first one in okay. Doing the second one on the opposite side I ran into a snag, the glue started to grab a hold on the treenail before I had it all the way through.  Hmmmm, re-drilling but with some whet sticky glue inside the hole?  Visions of a shattered frame flashed through my mind - - - - - - :o

But I lucked out again and was able to clean the hole  :Whew:

Okay, make a new treenail and try again.  Well, the second one slipped in okay.  

So then, tomorrow is dinghy time and I'll be busy dressing all the glued in parts and check the fairing of the frames.  Hey, this all the same procedures as you would do for a large scale ship, just smaller a lot more delicate.

Then, If there is time left I'll start working on the planks.  The poplar seems to work out okay for this application.  It's strong enough and shapes nicely when whet and then holds its shape after it has dried.  

Okay, here is a pic of the treenails in the frames.  The close-up made it a little fuzzy but yuns get the idea that the operation was a success.  These two frame parts should now be a lot stronger and hold up under the planking operation.

post-1399-0-32023300-1417141790_thumb.jpg

This shows the treenails glued in place.  Using bamboo for treenails at this small size is preferred because they don't brake as easy when pushing them into a hole.  They are also very strong with sheer loads.  

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Piet (and Gwen ofcourse),

Thanks for the good wishes! Hope you have had a wounderful Thanksgiving

For planking you could turn her over and glue her (no not Gwen) ribs to a piece of wood, and 'cut' her loose after finishing planking. That would give you a more sturdy frame to plank on

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hoi Carl, now that's a thought!  Yup, I could try that and with my luck it'll shatter in a gezillion pieces when removing it from that piece of wood.  Let me tink about it and toy with it.

I did manage to clean the jol up nicely and fared all the frames.  I may have to treenail the bow bost to the keel though.  It seems to have a week spot and making it sturdier would make the handling better.

Gwen and I had a very quitte Thanksgiving, just the two of us.  Daughter Marianne and the grandson Troy are 900 miles up the road near Pittsburgh, PA.  Also busy with school and no time for a family get-together.

Thanks to everyone for dropping by and your likes! 

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Going with a plug would be the way to go.  The secret is to make the plug impervious to the glue, Future Floor Wax, paraffin, or wrap the plug in plastic wrap.  This will aid in separating the two.

David B

lovely work my friend

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

First of all, my sincerest thanks to all the likes and thanks for visiting.

Hello David B, thanks for your suggestion, I appreciate it.  Now then, don't you think that using a plug at this stage of the game will work?  The dinghy is framed out already and rather sturdy now that I have tree-nailed a few frames and the bow beam.  If I understand the plug method correctly the plug should be made first and then the keel and planking can be laid up on it.  The frames come after the planking is done and the shell pulled from the plug.  

In actuality then my framed dinghy acts as the plug for the planking.  This suggestion has been brought up before when I made version 1.0.  I explained then that I took this as a challenge to me to try and build a PoF boat at this scale and forego the plug method.  It's also good practice for my planned ship in a 6 inch lamp globe.

I just wanted to see if it could be done and I now know that it is possible, even at a smaller scale.  It's not a matter of doing it the easier way and preventing the frames to break but rather to see if it actually can be done.  Omega also challenged himself and did a PoF dinghy at about 10 mm in length. 

So, we are looking at two methods and Omega and I chose the PoF method.  Hope you understand my motif behind it.   

Hi Kevin, thanks for dropping in and your kind comments.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Today's task was - - - making planks for the dinghy.  I already cut several "planks" from a 1/4 inch thick poplar board that I ripped off at the band saw.  I cut them about 2 mm thick, way too thick for the dinghy planks but I planned in sanding them down quite bit anyhow.

Well, that's what I started on today working between a few tasks on the lobster smack kit.  I used a sanding disc in my Proxxon hand tool (Dremmel like ) and a sanding block and took them down to 1/2 mm.

Then I proceeded to sand down both edges to give each plank a wedge shape and cut them in half length wise.  Thus one edge is 1/2 mm thick and the other edge is a knife edge with a width of 3.2 mm.  This way I can lay the following plank on the "knife like" edge of the previous plank to simulate a klinker lay-up.

Scraping a step in a 1/2 mm edge is not possible with poplar wood, so I abandoned that idea.  With version 1.0 I sanded each plank after it was glued onto the frames but I thought doing this off the boat.  It's a lot easier to work it this way then on the dinghy.

I only got not quite haf way through all al the planks but tomorrow is another day.  Each plank is now 1/8 inch or 3.2 mm wide and 0.5 mm at the "thick" side. 

I did manage to drill a hole into the bow keel and inserted a bamboo treenail.  This whole framed assembly turned out quite strong.  It so happened that it got - - - hmmm - - manhandled a little but came through with flying colors.

Here is a picture of the work I managed to do today.  Yeah, my little work area is a little messy but I'm working on three models there and need all that "stuff."   ;)

post-1399-0-48393400-1417402257_thumb.jpg

This shows the pile of planks for the dinghy.  The short pieces in front are ready for a soak in water to make them pliable to shape them on the dinghy.  

Cheers,

Edited by Piet

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

That's a nice little pile of planking. A couple questions Piet. 1st, are you using just any poplar, and where are you getting it? A "big-box store" like Home Depot? 2nd, what size band saw are you using. Had to sell my floor standing one when I moved into this apartment, but I'll be picking up a bench-top one this spring sometime.

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Gotcha and the reasoning behind your decision.  as the old saying goes "You're a braver man than I Charlie Brown."  Go for it and may good fortune folloe your endeavor.

David B

Hoi Sjors, thank you - - - hmmmm, just one?  Tell you what, you come over to Dave's get-to-gether next April there should be plenty little boats for you  ;)

Hi Row, good to see you in my shipyard and thanks for your very kind words.  The rudder hardware is soft soldered.  The brass sheet is too thin for silver, it curl up when applying a flame to it.  

Yeah, Omega's work is truly amazing.  Shows what can be done with a steady hand and [patience.

There are a few very talented miniature ship builders here on MSW and someday I'll get to make my VOC Jacht in a 6 inch lamp.

What are you building Row?  I don't see a link under your signature.

Cheers,

Piet,

Sorry to be so long in replying, being somewhat 'computer-logically' challenged, I'd somehow managed to delete the contents of my email inbox so didn't read the notification. Enough of the excuses, I've been building a 1:28 scale R/c model of the J class yacht 'Enterprise', the 1930 defender of the America's Cup. The build was started long before I discovered this incredible site and so the build log is posted on the RCSailing forum. (http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?6264-1-28-J-Class-Enterprise-build-log). It's very definitely a 'work in progress' and has been a very steep learning curve coupled with too many other demands on my time - but it WILL be completed!! As I seem to spend so much time at MSW I've often toyed with the idea of précising the build to date and then continuing with the build log here... - anyway, this is getting way off topic, so back to the business in hand!

I seem to be using adjectives like phenomenal, stunning etc etc rather a lot on the various build logs I'm following here and yet again they're the only pertinent ones applicable to your dinghy!

Regards,

Row

1:28 Scale J class yacht 'Enterprise' (R/C)

Build log currently at: http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/showthread.php?6264-1-28-J-Class-Enterprise-build-log

Hi David B, thanks for your understanding my friend  :)  Yup, good fortune is what I'll need alright but also skill and patience.

Hello Row, no prob with the delay in answering and thank you for your very kind words.  I know all about being computer challenged.  I look at them and they break  ;)  

You could start a build log for your J class Enterprise here on MSW and transfer your build.  I believe that the members here would love to see your magnificent build of your J Class Enterprise.  I did the same with my Friendship sloop a few years ago.  It took some time to enter the log posts but it was a rather fun project.  There may be folks here who could use your technique ad some of the additional advice and input.  

I already picked out a few things after reading your log.  Some of the stuff I already knew about but forgot I even used it in my work repairing aircraft. 

Please drop by again when you have the time.

Hi George, yup, making the planking is now all done and ready to be glued to the dinghy.  I finished the rest this morning between some glue jobs on the lobster smack kit.  I was toying with the idea of using CA to cement these little planks to the dinghy but decided to stick with Titebond.  It'll give me a little more time positioning the planks without cementing my fingers to the dinghy  :rolleyes:

I have plenty miniature clothe pins to clamp the planks to the frames.  I used the same method with version 1.0 and it worked for me.  

The poplar I indeed bought at either Home Depot or Lowes.  I have a lot of that stuff still kicking around from making the bulkheads for the O19 and the VOC ship.  It's more a matter of economics for me then what I really would like to use.  It works okay, at least it's much better then bass wood.  

I have a Sears "Craftsman" 12 " bandsaw. model # 119-224000.  It's bigger then I really need now but it works okay for me.  My wife and I planned to build a "Friendship" sloop after my retirement and she  had thoughts of building furniture so we bought a 10 inch bench saw and a large enough bandsaw for all that.  But all that went by the wayside after she developed a back problem.  Building that 25 foot sloop is not a one man job and besides, space became also a problem. 

Cheers to all,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Yup, that Craftsman is pretty hefty and at about 100 lbs., too big for me to be muscling around. My workshop is my apartment and being somewhat limited for space, I want everything in it to be able to be stowed away. So I'll no doubt go with a 9" or 10". Being able to use poplar instead of that kit basswood is good to know because while I'm waiting to start my build, I can stock up on a few different sizes. Only a mile from Home Depot from here. :)  Thanks for the info Piet!

Cheers

post-12186-0-72213600-1417495958.gif

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Hello everyone.  Just a very small update on the dinghy v. 2.2 dinghy saga.

I am soaking a bunch of "planks" in water so I can shape them over the hull frames and this morning I laid-uo the wet garboard strake.  I used a bunch of small wooden cloths pins to hold it in shape.  When the wood had dried I cemented it to the hull using CA.

Hopefully I can cement the next two planks on tomorrow.  I have already two wet ones clamped to the hull to shape them.

As with version 1.0 I can only install two in one day, unless I soak them in alcohol and may just give that a try.

Okay here is one pic to show yuns what it looks like.

post-1399-0-49035500-1417659965_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hmmm

Look good

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic