Hr. Ms. O 19 by Piet - 1939 - 1945, scale 1:50, submarine Royal Navy Netherlands - Finished

Hey Omega, good seeing you again and thanks for the kudos!

The little dinghy now has 4 planks!  Next set is at the bilge!!!  Yeah, it's slow going but so what, right?  I can only do one set of planks per day, sometimes two but I have other things to do around the house and the lobster smack kit.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hi Piet

It's nice to be back. I've been pretty sick (still have this week off work) and haven't been able to do much, including my models or following MSW much. Hopefully things are turning around now.

Your dinghy is truly inspirational and a real study in perserverance and skill.

Well done!

Hello all and thanks for your patience.

I have been slowly planking dinghy version 2.0 and it's now all planked but still in a semi rough state.  There is a lot of clean-up work yet to be done and perhaps reducing the thickness of the frames somewhat.  

I think that version 2.0 came out a lot better then v.1.0!  Both sides are now equal in height and the planking looks balanced.  I think the effort was worth while, at least I am satisfied now.

After I'm done tweaking it up to where I'm happy with the looks of it then I'll add the helm's man seat, the oars-men seats, oarlocks, rudder and other things.  I wont be too finicky with the way the wood looks because I'll be painting it in dark grey.  

Well, I don't know about Nils but as far as I can tell my version 1.0 may be the first miniature klinker build boat here  ;)

As it turned out the planking was actually 0.5 mm thick and 3 mm wide.  I tapered one side to 0.5 mm or less so I could lay the following plank on top of the tapered side of the previous plank.  I also used CA gel cement to glue the planks on.  I found this to work quite well for me.  I cemented the plank first to 3 or 4 center ribs while holding the plank firmly in place with my fingers.  For some reason I never got stuck to the boat  :)  Then after this was holding good I used a fine pointed toothpick to dab some CA gel to the next ribs so I could guide the plank in the proper position, also holding it tight to the rib.  This way I didn't need the clothe pin clamps.

I added a wale and shear cap.  After I have removed some more wood from the ribs I'll put the keelson in and a few planks next to it.  Hey, the sailors need to have a ceiling / floor / deck for steady footing ;)

Okay, here are a few pixs of the results so far.

post-1399-0-31905700-1418523240_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-40222600-1418523251_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-04927000-1418523264_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-71295800-1418523277_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-05409300-1418523288_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-52658000-1418523312_thumb.jpg

The length is 70 mm or 2.75 inches.  This is big enough or in this case small enough to fit into it's hold.  I still need to make and install the cradle for it inside the hold area below deck.  

Cheers. 

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Well done Piet !

that Little Dinghi no. 2 Looks great, and nice decription of your planking procedure ( plank endings, CA, toothpick, etc...),

I felt myself remembered to my own experience...

Also smart idea of thinning the peg clamps down to appr. half the width

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thank you all for visiting and your like votes.  To all here on MSW, Gwen and I wish you all a very good holiday and a prosperous 2015 in good health. 

Hello Omega, thank you for your kind words my friend.  My dinghy at 7 cm is a giant compared to your 2 cm one.  You did great!  And no, 'm not going to top that - - - yet  ;)

Hoi Remco, yes, I agree!  V.2.0 is an improvement but still needs a lot more work before I'm REALLY happy.

Hi Nils, and thank you for your compliment.  Yeah, I figured too, why not add a few words how I managed to build this tiny and fragile dinghy, just in case some other crazy guy or gall wants to give it a try, besides Omega that is  :P  :)  :)

Hoi Sjors, keep dreaming my friend  :P   Two is enough.  I went out to prove something to myself and lucked out, twice actually.

Hoi Carl, thank you too for your kind words and no, I won't hide it.  She'll be hanging on the sling of the lifting boom.  This way I can do a show and tell by actually putting it away and close the hatches.  I can do the same with the anchor, the emergency telephone, deck launch torpedoes and AA guns.  Oh yes, when you blow on the propellors they rotate!.  Oh almost forgot, the trim-planes can be stowed and the rudder and dive planes work.

Hell Vivian, cute????  But of course - - - coming from a lady it has to be cute, I like that and thank you for your kind word.

Hello George,  but I have a second one - version 1.0.  That one will be parked on the display board with spare mines, torpedoes, an anchor, cases of ammo and Heineken beer  ;)

Cheers to all,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Thank you all for your best wishes.  Gwen and I will ry to make the best of this year's end and hope that 2015 will be better.

Thanks also to all who clicked te like button.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Beautiful job on the little dingy Piet.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hello Michael and thank you for the compliment.  She came out much better then version 1.0. Season's greetings Michael.

Hi Row, thanks for dropping in and your kind words.  Hmmmm, neurosurgeon hands - - - not quite but they are rather small with long fingers, which helps with small things  ;)

Gwen and I wish you a great holiday season as well.

Cheers.

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Thank you all for visiting and your like votes, it's much appreciated and encouraging. 

In between working a few chores around the house and the lobster smack kit I managed to do some more work on the dinghy.

I made and installed the bow "platform," the helm's man seat and two oarsmen seats.

Due to the gunnel on top of the ribs I had to make the bow thingy in two peaces.  I tried to make it in one piece but that turned out to be impossible and after two tries I gave up and just split them.  I supported it in the center though with a narrow strip and super glued it in.  

I had better luck with the helm's man seat though.  It is wide enough to be able to bend it enough and it popped right in.  I had to remove and install it several times for the fit but it finally worked out kinda okay.  

I had to add just a little wood filler in spots but after it's painted dark grey all those blemishes will be hidden.

The oarsmen seats were rather easy, also because I could bend them to pop them in.  But - - - when I closed shop this afternoon and taking a last peek I realized that the oarsmen seats are too far aft.  Too much weight in the aft end of the dinghy.  No problem, we'll just tear them out and make two new ones and move them up one rib, they'll look even better  ;)

I also made the rudder and the helm stick and that was all she rode today.  Next up, after the oarsmen seats are replaced, is to make the oar locks, rudder gudgeons and pintles.  Then a fitting to the upper bow beam for a mooring / lifting ring.  

Coming close to completion.  But I still need to make the cradle on the sub.

post-1399-0-14188400-1418866809_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-09481000-1418866830_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Edited by Piet

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Amazing work Piet!    It's hard to appreciate the actual scale of this little dingy in a photo by itself, without maybe a penny or dime next to it for perspective.  B)

Cheers  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hello George and thanks again for your very kind accolades.  Yeah, it's small alright but a giant compared to the dinghy Omega managed to build.  As noted before my dinghy is 70 mm long and when you look at the pic on page 121 you'll see the ding on my hand.  This may not tell much but when you consider de overall length of my hand is 7.25 inches, from the wrist to the fingertip.  

Next picture I'll lay a #11 blade next to it  ;)

Hoi Carl, good seeing you again and thanks for kind remarks.  There'll be more detail coming - - - soon.

I did rip the oarsmen seats out and made new ones and installed them.  Sorry, no pics - they'll come next time.  I'm getting close to being finished!

Cheers to all,

Edited by Piet

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

I didn't do much with this little project but managed to remove the rower's benches and put new ones in one frame forward.  I think it balances out much better this way.

Looking at the photo I think that I'll have make the benches a little narrower.

I also made the rudder ad helm stick.  Now it's just a matter of making the gudgeons and pintels, the oar locks and mooring / lifting ring - and painting.

I begin to think that I'm stretching this build out some, like I don't want it to end.  But I really need to finish it up so I can start make the display board and dust cover.

Okay, here is a picture and with a #11 blade to indicate scale (for George :)  )

post-1399-0-60180700-1419131245_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Much appreciated Piet! :) But I think it's a good indication for everybody as to the level of intricate detail involved. Especially for newcomers.

Cheers  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

You'r welcome George, I aim to please  ;)   Yeah, a lot of times I just forget in the heat of the battle.  I also forget to make eough photos of some of the things I do in progressive stages.  I do like to have enough pics for my own build archive so I can look at them years from now and see how I did all of this.

Hey Carl, good seeing you again!  No, really, Dutch sailors are "lean, mean fighting machines"  :rolleyes: No big buttocks on them  ;)   The seats have been shaved down some as we speak but also remember the scale and they do need something to sit on.

It looks a bit better, I think.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello friends and thank you all for visiting and your likes!!!!

I spend all day in the shipyard (garage) to work on the dinghy.  I fabricated the gudgeons and pintles for the rudder.  Believe it or not but that took me three and a half hours to do.  One wouldn't believe that something that simple can take so much time.  

I used 0.2 mm brass shim stock and 1 mm brass tubes with 0.5 mm brass pins for them.  No reason to draw a picture, all of you know how they look like.

The brass shim was cut to 1 mm wide and so were the brass tubes.  I bend the brass strips into a U shape to fit the keel and rudder.  The toughest part was soldering these small pieces of tube to the bend up strips.  I placed a picture of my soldering jig below.  I used a steel sewing pin to hold the tube to the gudgeon with my left hand while soldering with the right.  Oh yeah, I used a rosin core silver solder, feeding that with my third hand  ;)   Actually, I pretinned the parts. :P

For the pintles I used the same method except that I first soldered the brass rod in the tubes and then holding that to the bend-up strips I soldered i all together.  

This doesn't sound like 3 1/2 hours worth of work but that includes a few remakes, naturally  :angry:   

The pictures below were taken before I cleaned everything up by CAREFULLY filing extra solder away.  The nowy look presentable and I am happy.  Gwen also liked them, she said it looks rather spiffy. 

I cemented the gudgeons and pintles to their assigned locations with CA.

Next I shaved some wood away from the oarsmen seats but I think that the forward one can still use to loose some more wood..

I also made an eye bold for the bow frame where the mooring ting will be.  This I glued into the top of the bow frame with CA.

After lunch I started on making the oar locks.  Hmmmm - - - not having much success with them.  Spend almost 3 hours on them and managed to make only one, which I will have to reject.  They are supposed to be 0.5 mm wide from some 0.2 mm brass ship and then drilling a 0.5 mm hole in it for a bras pin.  They'l be bend into a U shape to fit the 0.8 mm oar shaft.  They'll be slightly smaller the on version 1.0 but it seems to give me more trouble tat way.  

Soooooh, I'm back at square one with them.  Well, tomorrow is another day and I can start out fresh.

That's it for today and here are a few pics of today's efforts.

post-1399-0-85155800-1419216251_thumb.jpg

I put the gudgeon over a piece of scrap wood with the same thickness as the keel.  You can see the sowing straight pin in the 1 mm tube and yes, it does get hot  :rolleyes:

post-1399-0-00779200-1419216441_thumb.jpg

Here are all the pieces completed but still in the rough state.  After I cleaned them up and filed the excess solder away they do look presentable.  I also filed the ship pieces even to 1 mm wide,

post-1399-0-42830300-1419216507_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-67868500-1419216527_thumb.jpg

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra