Hr. Ms. O 19 by Piet - 1939 - 1945, scale 1:50, submarine Royal Navy Netherlands - Finished

So excited to get word you're bringing this amazing work of art to Fayetteville, I sat my wife down to show her this build.... Just so she would understand my excitement, right? After a few minutes, she actually took my iPad from me and spent the next 45 minutes going through it, beginning with page 1. She could not put it down. Now Piet, you need to understand, that is the biggest compliment I have ever paid anyone.

As for the rest of us mortal fans.... You can join us in Fayetteville in April and have the pleasure of eyeballing this amazing U-boat close up. I can't wait!

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Texxn5 John dropped a mine on you and Gwen let that happen!!! :o

Jupz Remco is a nice guy, he's Dutch, just like you ... a golly ... so am I ;) Ah well, as you noticed lots and lots of people are involved with you and your build ... They even try to get the best out of you!!! :D

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thanks everyone, your participation in this build is highly appreciated!  Thanks also for all the likes.

Hi Dave, thank you and your dear wive for the compliments, it's very sobering.  I'm also looking forward seeing you, your wife and your builds - - and of course all the other participants.  Hope Jesse Lee can make it and the others from MSW.

Hope you don't mind me making a correction with what you call this model - U-boat.  She is a Dutch submarine and in the Duch language it's called an O-boot.  The O stands for "onderwater," in the German language it's Unterwasser boot," hence the U.  In both languages the word boot is pronounced as boat in English.  

Ah, those crazy languages, no wonder I struggled with them in the Dutch school system, failing grades in all three of the foreign languages, French, German And English  :( .

Hoi Carl,  Yes indeed, that sly John  ;) .  But others have also stirred the pot in egging me on to add some more detail here and there.  Remco is at the top of the list, he has been a great help in making this model what she has become.  Fact is that without Remco it would not have been possible!  Then there is  Amateur Jan and Gino den Ridder and Boris in Saint Petersburg and a few more with their suggestions, you included.  Then all the moral support I received.

I truly hope that all who have followed this build have indeed brought the best out of me.  Although, I think I could have done better yet.

This build has been an emotional roller coaster ride for me and am looking forward seeing her on a shelf in my studio / office.

Cheers to all,

Edited by Piet

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

I think you've done an excellent job on her Piet, and I don't think there's too many more details that could be reasonably added at this point. Very well done!

Well-----there is the wet bar-----but we'll save that for another build.  :D

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Well - - - today I took Remco up to his challenge - - - the mine bin door hinges  ;)

First I tried using a #11 Exacto blade but that proved to be too dangerous, could not get a good angle on it.  Hmmm, a "router bit" would be better  B)   Soooooooooh - - - I took that revamped broken 0.5 mm drill bit in the Proxxon moto tool and carefully let the side flutes do the routing first horizontally and gradually rotating the tool vertical.  I didn't go all the way through the hull plating, which is 2 mm thick but the slot is deep enough that with some dark grey pain in it it looks acceptable.

Had to do some touchup with the green paint and presto - - - we have dummy hinges on all the dummy mine bun doors.  Doesn't look too bad actually and I'm happy with it.

In the course of "routing" these slots my optivisor got caught in one of the antenna wires and dislodged it from the antenna mast and also stretched it.  So I had to fix that before I could work on the dinghy cradle.  Yeah, dummy me, didn't think about it and had to pay the price but it was fixed in no time flat :)

What I decided to do for the dinghy cradle is to bend up two small U pieces of brass sheet stock that'll fit the keel.  I located the dinghy center line and cemented these two U channel pieces to the pressure hul inside the dinghy "hangar."  I also made a few eye bolts to tie the dinghy down with and cemented them into the pressure hull plates.  

This may not be how the original dinghy is secured below deck but it'll have to suffice.  Again, it's a victim of afterthoughts, but for display purposes the dinghy will be hanging in the loading boom.

This then may very well be the last of the details I'm going to add to the O19 - - - at least for the time being.  As I have mentioned before I'll continue to add some spares and crew members.

The next task is the display board and final pictures for the gallery, so don't go away yet  :)

Here are a few pics of today's efforts:

post-1399-0-07563800-1424231602_thumb.jpg

Here we have the dummy hinges on the mine bin doors Port side.  I elected to use dark grey instead of black, the grey is less conspicuous.  I tried the black but that was much too bold.

post-1399-0-81599900-1424231632_thumb.jpg

This is the starboard side, not too bad a blend.  Standing at arm's length from the model you can hardly find the real door.

post-1399-0-40397300-1424231670_thumb.jpg

Here is the dinghy cradle arrangement I finally came up with.  I also installed a few eye bolts to secure the dinghy in its cradle.

post-1399-0-94327500-1424231694_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Nice execution of the challenge I dropped on you. I agree enhancing the dummy hinges with black would have made them stand out too much, now they are just perfect.

Let's see what I can come up with next ;)

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

I get the  'after thought' bug too Piet.........nice one with the simulated hinges for the other mine doors!  looking forward in seeing the finishing touches..........she' come to be a very beautiful build!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nice work. Hopefully you did not have any more problems.  Your hand must have been sore when you were done.  Being that steady with a live bit is not fun.

David B

Thanks again to everyone who stopped by for a look-see and to those who clicked the like button.

Today I spend sorting out my notes and pictures.  I removed most of the ones I taped to the wall in the garage but the O19 is still there  :)

I also made a start in making copies to put into a binder that'll go with the model.  I really like to show the progress of the original build to her trip to the Netherlands east Indies.  The problem is - where do I stop making copies.  At least I have two pics with my father on them, which makes me happy.

Rummaging through all the papers I have I dug up a letter from the then Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands and the Overseas' possessions.  It is a charter of issuance of the silver medal of the "Orde van Oranje-Nassau."  We received several nice writings and medals from the Ministry of the Navy, which I'll also make copies of and include in the binder.

Hey Remco, I'm glad you concur with my choice of the grey to indicate the fake hinges.  Yes, they are less obtrusive this way.  I can spare you a few brain cells in coming up with another detail project.  How about the bow torpedo tubes with working doors????  And while we are at it, why not do the stern tubes as wel ????  Forgetaboutit!!!  No way Jose!   :o   Hmmm - actually - - - - - no - no - no - won't happen  :)   Enough is enough.

Yeah Dave B, I propped up both hands to have a steady rest and took a break between port and starboard sides.  Lunch to the rescue.  Actually it went quite well, better then I thought.

I have also been thinking what to do with the final display board.  I was going to use the same build board and dress that up nice with a coat of paint and edge moulding but it is a piece of 3/4 inch plywood of 72 X 12 inches. It's heavy as all get out and difficult to handle.  I could make it narrower by 2 inches or go for some 1/2 inch shelving planking.  I guess no matter what I use it'll be heavy and still awkward to handle.

Still thinking about it.  Then there is how to mount the model.  Raised from the display board or like I have it now, with the keel pinned to the board.  Whatever I wind up doing has be simple and not distracting.

I have to wait taking pictures till the weather warms up some.  We are expecting a good freeze tonight and tomorrow.  So, till the next post I bid you all happy modeling in good health.

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

I have also been thinking what to do with the final display board.  I was going to use the same build board and dress that up nice with a coat of paint and edge moulding but it is a piece of 3/4 inch plywood of 72 X 12 inches. It's heavy as all get out and difficult to handle.  I could make it narrower by 2 inches or go for some 1/2 inch shelving planking.  I guess no matter what I use it'll be heavy and still awkward to handle.

Still thinking about it.  Then there is how to mount the model.  Raised from the display board or like I have it now, with the keel pinned to the board.  Whatever I wind up doing has be simple and not distracting.

You could use a frame with a thin plank (1/4") on top. Not much weight and you can make it as big as you want

Carl

Hey Carl, what a brilliant idea!  Thanky, thanky, thanky!  Why didn't I think about that one  B)   Not seeing the forest through the trees, perhaps?  But, that's why you make the big bucks  ;)

I'll certainly pursue that, seems rather simple and will result in a very nice looking display board.  Stained in a light oak?

I'll make some plans and visit the local DYI store for lumber and needed hardware, unless I have enough brass screws to nail it together.  I need to go there anyway for some other stuff.  

Next question is - how to mount the model.  With the keel on the board or elevated some on 2 brass pins or 2 wooden blocks.  The mine bin "side-sadles" kinda hide the pins but nicely shaped blocks the width of the keel may work too.  I think I should raise her up from the board a little - like maybe 2 cm.  

That'll also give me the opportunity to demonstrate the mushroom anchor hidden in the bow keel.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention another detail I could have added - - - the mine drop-down doors on the bottom - - - - - -  ;)   Forgetaboutit!!!  

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Piet,

Your O-19 is really beautiful! Fantastic detail!

I'm sure you've considered mounting the boat on the kind of blocks that she would rest on in a drydock. I've seen several models mounted this way and it adds nicely to the real circumstance. Of course, then you'd have to explain why a perfectly looking boat would enter Drydock...... Alternatively, how good are you building a reef? ;)

Freek

No, no,no,no,no! The mine drop-down doors on the bottom ... - Remco help me convince this superb builder - they should be there. ... Maybe not in working condition, but visible!

I'm glad I could be of help, dear Sir. Don't forget to put some reinforcement below the mounts. Besides those reinforcements will make the 'tray' more sturdy. Considering the height of those pedestals or blocks ... try it first with some scrap wood ... maybe you'd be surprised ... 1", 1.25, 1.5" who knows ;)

Carl

I'm thinking you should build a glass case, fill it with water, and display her completely submerged.... "Parascope Up!"

"Maintain depth of 25 feet...." "Target 750 yards....MARK.... FIRE ONE.... FIRE TWO!"

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Thanks Freek for your very nice accolades, truly appreciated coming from you.  Yeah, I thought doing that but what I'm after is as she was in service when my father sailed on her to the Dutch East Indies.   No, no reef diorama either - - - what a shame, loosing that boat due a stupid navigational error. 

Hi Carl, yup, that frame will be sturdy.  I plan to reinforce the corners with metal corner pieces inside and I'll put a longitudinal strip in the center with cross pieces.  The cover plank should tie it all nicely together.  I hope I can find a nice piece of wood planking.  Don't know yet what kind, or a nicely finished piece of plywood.

I'll be doing some trial pieces as far as the two mounting blocks are concerned.  

Hello Dave, man alive - - - what have you been smoking ;)  Not such a bad idea though and to tell you the truth, I did think about making a small diorama with a miniature sub in a bottle, submerged at periscope depth.  

Okay, I still need to plan-out the materials to get and make a sketch with the measurements.  Busy, busy, busy  :)

Cheers to all,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Thank you very much Anthony for your kind words.  Rijksmuseum eh?  I don't think they want my model though, perhaps the Navy Museum in Den Helder.

I'm going to visit the Netherlands with my wife, daughter and grandson this June.  We are planning to also go to that museum and I'll try to get a word with the director.  However, IF they want to have it and IF my daughter or grandson don't want it then they can come and pick it up here.

I'll bring a nice glossy photo of the model with me.

We are also going to pay a visit at the Maritime museum in Amsterdam.

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Yea---Don't know about the tank in the water idea. She'd look funny with the hatch for the dingy open to the sea!  :D

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Some time ago when I started to think about the display board I mentioned to Remco via private e-mail, that I had the idea of building a mooring dock on the starboard side and simulated sea on the port side.  You know, with resin wave action.  But that's carrying things too far.  Besides, I have other things to do, there are a few more build and paintings and drawings to make.

So, i'll just leave it at all that - it being a nice thought.  

Did go to the DIY store to see what they have for the display board.  Home Depot has a nice looking 1/4 inch oak veneered plywood.  $30 bucks for a 4 X 8 foot sheet and I only need a 10 inch by 66 inch piece B) .  Question is, what do I do with the rest.

I also checked to see what I have in nice wood for the mounting blocks.  I have a nice chunk of 1 X 3 X 30 inch box that'll make the two blocks I need.  The framing will be 1 X 1 inch pine.  Looks like I can start making the display board soon.  It needs to be ready for the trip up do Sawdust Dave's place for the Wounded warrior program.  :dancetl6:

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Guess I plum forgot one slightly critical command in my suggestion.... "BATTON DOWN THE HATCHES"

Piet.... Just how much does O 19 weigh?

Are we going to need a fork lift to off load her?

Sawdust Dave -

Piet

You could still do the dock and water. I've seen somewhere a model quay with an underwater view of the foundations (from Rotterdam ... where else) They used a 2 mm plastick sheet for water ... Just an idea ...

Did go to the DIY store to see what they have for the display board.  Home Depot has a nice looking 1/4 inch oak veneered plywood.  $30 bucks for a 4 X 8 foot sheet and I only need a 10 inch by 66 inch piece B) .  Question is, what do I do with the rest.

What remains ... what about next buildssszzzzz

Carl

@ Dave:  I assume the question partains to the model ?  Without the display board she weighs about two feathers  ;)  Light enough to easily carry with two hands, which is needed because of the length.  If the display board is completed they can be carried separately.  

No fork lift needed.

@ Carl:  Yeah, it would really look nice to do it that way but then the display board needs be a lot wider to do it justice.  It'll be more like a diorama.  Well, one never knows.

Another build?  Well, I have to finish the VOC ship and a VOC jacht or botter in a lamp.  Then my father in law's shop the "Musie."  I have too many irons in the fire and not getting any younger to complete everything I still want to do.

Cheers,  

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

I'm sure that whatever you decide as the stand for her,  it will complement the model quite well.  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hey Carl, stamina I have alright, but not that many years ahead though.  This coming April 15 I'll be 81 years young  :dancetl6:  :)  :)  Thanks for the compliment, does my old heart good  ;)

Yeah Popeye, for now I'll keep it simple so as not to detract from the model.  I think that the main focus should be on her.  I'll just have make an oil painting of her in full sea, somewhere in te tropics.  My father loved the tropics.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!  Yeah, I'm still alive, just been too busy with other things that needed done.  In the meantime I bought some wood for the display board for the O19.  The build board is much too heavy, not long enough for the future lexan cover and too wide.

I figured by making it lighter I'll make a frame and cover it with 1/8 oak veneer plywood.  I used a 3 X 1/2 inch pine plank and rip 3 strips of 3/4 X 66 X 1/2 inch out of that for the frame parts.  Forgot to make pics of that process but the short pieces are 10 inches long and joggled to fit into joggled cutouts in the long pieces.

Today I glued the frame together as shown in the photo below.  I had the DYI store rip the plywood.  I held my breath as the guy ripped it because he went much too fast to my liking. I was afraid that I would wind up with parts of the oak veneer shattered.  Fortunately it worked out okay, just a few spots on the bad side that'll be hidden by the frame.  

I had to cut them down to my required 66 inches but used an old fashioned handsaw which made me a nice cut.

I also cut two blocks of boxwood for the mounting blocks where the O19 will sit on.  Marked and drilled the 1/4 inch diameter holes for the dowels that'll secure the O19.  I intend to keep her loose so I can lift her off whenever I need to do that.  She's not going anywhere when sitting on the shelf in my studio.

I thought I was going to run into a dilemma with the mounting blocks.  I wanted to make concave curves on the outside parts of the blocks but don't have the router bits for it.  So I used the bend saw as a rasp file to remove most of the wood.  Then I used a round grinding disc to finish it off.  i could only do one of the four ends, time was running out and had to close shop.

Now I need to figure how to cement these long pieces of ply wood to the frame.  I don't have enough clamps by using the all-weather Titebond or Elmer's carpenter glue.  I'm thinking of "Liquid Nails."  Will check with the experts at the local hardware store what the working time is.  

On the other hand I have plenty 12 X 12 X 1 inch concrete pavers I can lay on top.  Something to consider.  

All this work has to be done on the garage floor, which means that Gwen's car mas to stay outside for one day.

Okay, here are a few pics for yuns to see what I'm up to.

post-1399-0-55977300-1426129336_thumb.jpg

Here you see the glued up frame with the top and bottom plywood covers.  The two center cross members are for support for the mounting blocks.  They'll be glued to the plywood cover and screwed from the bottom through the cross pieces.  

post-1399-0-00749200-1426129389_thumb.jpg

This shows the boxwood mounting blocks.  You can probably see the saw blade marks in the concave curved sections.  It's still rather time consuming to grind the rest to how I want it.  

post-1399-0-45343900-1426129420_thumb.jpg

This shows how the display board will eventually look like.  I'll see if I can find some nice finishing moulding for the sides.  I plan to stain it with a "White Oak" stain and finish it with a clear and mat poly urethane.  It should look half way presentable.  

Cheers,  

Edited by Piet

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Things are looking nice Piet. Sorry I haven't been around much - I've been a little busy myself. We'll have to have a Leffe or two once you're done!

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com