Jolly Roger by DSiemens - Lindberg - PLASTIC - RESTORATION - kit-bashed

I hope I have this topic in the right place if not moderators please correct me.  I figured scratch because it's a scratch project on an already built kit.  

I'll explain.  My first ship model ever I got when I was 17.  It's a Lindberg Jolly Roger plastic kit.  I was used to building airplanes at that time so I built it in a similar way with just the pieces provided and some paint.  At that time I didn't add rigging.  It had the back stays but that was about it.  As I got more into ship in bottle building I added some rigging.  I guess you can say it was ship in bottle rigged since it was just the lines with no blocks.  The lines them selves weren't even totally correct they just looked ...about right.  In our last move the ship got really banged up.  Broken bowsprit, broken plastic sails, bent masts all sorts of problems.  I've decided to restore it using wood parts all scratch built.  

I've always had a problem building bigger ship models.  I don't know what it is.  It's probably that I find them intimidating.  There's a lot of parts and pieces and a lot that I have a general idea about but not a thorough knowledge of.  Since I enjoy rigging and how rigging looks and works I thought this might be a good project to get my feet wet so to speak.  I decided I might as well post this since I feel like I'm getting stuck and I've made some good progress so far so I'd like to continue.  Here's what I've got.

This is me a few years ago....7 or 8 years I think.  I post it because it's one of the few pictures I have of the model as I originally built it.  This was preship in bottle building.  

post-307-0-14300000-1452666308_thumb.jpg

This is what I've built so far.  I have the masts in place and tapered and one cross tree in place.  

post-307-0-45673300-1452666564_thumb.jpg

This is the cross tree I built.  I think my spacing between the lower and upper mast might be to wide.  I'm open to thoughts.  Still got quiet a few more to do.  

Also on the original model there was an additional piece to the bowsprit.  In small models I glue the pieces together and tie some string around but I want this one to look right.  How were those two pieces held together?

I'm also open to books I should read.  I tried The Rigging of Ships by R.C. Anderson but I got very lost in the, "it was built this way with a lot of exceptions" style the author used.  Let me know what you think.  

post-307-0-85125500-1452666587_thumb.jpg

Hi Daniel it is great to see you posting a new project. many years ago I picked up a small publication from Kalmback books called "how to build plastic ship models, (ducks to avoid the thrown fruit) there is a section in it on the rigging and it is very basic and might be a useful read. there are a few drawings and some clear text along with reasonable photographs.

I know that there are all sorts of great publications out there, I thought this might be a useful document in any case. and then there is the section at the beginning of the forum in the resources section

Always a good place to start.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I have this one in my stash Daniel.  if you need the instructions.....give me a shout.   to put it simply.......rigging is all logic.   for every forward support,  there is a backward support.   I also heard some scuttlebutt,  that the kit has some flaws in it.   checking it out,  I found that it's not the best made kit........but see,  I like that.   it's odd that I haven't pulled it out sooner because of it  ;)

you have a good hull to work with....I know you'll have a swell time of it  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Michael I'll look into those. Also thanks Popeye she is a tough kit. I remember the pieces didn't go together very well and mine is full of flaws. I'm fixing a few and working around the rest. As a whole though she's a beautiful ship and despite the flaws well worth the build. If this project goes well I may consider getting a wood kit of the LA Flore which is what this ship actually is.

you'll need a bigger shelf  ;)    I have the instructions on my desk.........there is a plausible rigging section {and I'm laughing}.   there are hardly any nautical terms for the lines.   I am surprised that they show sheet and clew lines.   do you want them? 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I debate whether I want them or not Popeye. I'm missing so many parts to the masts and spars I have nothing to compare them to. On the other hand if I really want to learn how ships were built maybe that's not a bad thing.

I'll be glad to print them up for you......if anything,  it will give you an idea of what the parts look like.  give me a bit.  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 1 month later...

A little more work don eon this one.  She's coming along slowly.  

post-307-0-50036100-1457587985_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-90494800-1457587995_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-66152200-1457588005_thumb.jpg

good to see an update Daniel.        main mast looks great  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• The title was changed to Jolly Roger by DSiemens - Lindberg - PLASTIC - RESTORATION - kit-bashed