Marking portholes and fittings on the side of a hull

Hi everyone,

I have a dilemma. I need to transfer portholes, casemates, and other hull fittings from a profile plan to the side of a hull, and I am looking for an accurate method. Since the plan is flat and the hull isn't I can't transfer directly from plan to hull. I was thinking of marking the locations on a batten, then transfer the marks along the deck's centerline. I can then use a square to extend these marks to the sides of the hull. Any ideas on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron W.

Ron W.

Would work if the side view you are using is a true side view as you would find in a mechanical drawing. A mechanical drawing using A top view, side view and end view would show the effects of the hull curves on the side view, there would be no uniform gun port widths along the hull. Don't think the side view you are probably using is that type of side view, if everything along the hull is uniform it is not. Now time for others to take it from here.

jud

Ron,

If you have a top view, use that for marking off things.  If not, it's a bit more complicated.  Reference my crude drawing....

Set the ship up on the workbench or table.   Lay the plan down in front of it and line up the bow and aft.  Then it's a simple matter of running line (red lines) using a ruler/t-square/triangle such that you can transfer the ports, etc. to the side of the ship.

It seems more complex than it is but once you set it up, it should become clear.

post-76-0-83682100-1452751866_thumb.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark,

I had a similar need for transferring the hawse pipes.  My difficulty was that comparing the curve length to the "straight" length showed a difference.

post-4218-0-62086300-1452774877_thumb.jpg

The purple line is rotated to allow comparison to the green line.

My difficulty was that on the Syren, I could not find the hawse holes depicted on a top down view.

Let me know if my logic is wrong...:-)

Richard

Edited by rtropp

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

No Richard, you're not wrong.  What I showed is actually the "reverse" of the way the draftsman would do it from what I've read.   In that case, they take the measurement of the ports from the keel.  

Hawse holes are a different critter.  What does Chuck have to say about the hawse pipes in the instructions?   As I recall, that tutorial/practicum is pretty comprehensive.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)