Mercury by DSiemens - FINISHED - BOTTLE

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Garward.  

A small update I added the stern chasers tiller a couple cannons and the bowsprit.  The cannons have proved easier with a draw plate.  I used to turn all of them but they never came out the same size.  

post-307-0-01757300-1367818113_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-15827500-1367818129_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-29163700-1367818142_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-13499700-1367818154_thumb.jpg

I must be reading Augies build log to often because i added the Syren red gunports.  The color scheme i was given called for red, gold, white and black.  I had them all but read and I wasn't sure where to put it so I painted the gun ports.  I think it makes them pop a little more.  

Edited by DSiemens

She is now already looking very nice and have still a way to go before finishing, will become nicer and nicer.

Regards,

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Next build : sl Louise</span>

Daniel,

We know Augie's been an influence... but now he's good one?  :D  :D :D  

Your Mercury is a seriously good-looking ship.  I can't wait to see more.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That is a lot of fine detail Daniel.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow Dan, that's an awesome build in that scale.  Way too small for me....Keep it up man!

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

She is now already looking very nice and have still a way to go before finishing, will become nicer and nicer.

Regards,

John

Thank you John.  I enjoy your comments.  

Daniel,

We know Augie's been an influence... but now he's good one?  :D  :D :D  

Your Mercury is a seriously good-looking ship.  I can't wait to see more.

Augie a good influence?  Well..... ;)   Thanks for the compliment.  I will try to post more as I find time.  You wouldn't have any to spare would you.  

That is a lot of fine detail Daniel.

Michael

Thanks Michael.  Some times I think it's to much detail for this scale but on the other hand I like pushing my self to these limits.  

Wow Dan, that's an awesome build in that scale.  Way too small for me....Keep it up man!

Thanks Texxn5.  It's getting tedious at this point those darn cannons are a pain in behind.  I'll keep it up though.  

Well it's been a while since I've posted or even been around.  I blame work.  I won't go into that heavily but long story short I have a ton of financials to do by yesterday and not much time for much else.  Seems as though I've been too tired to reply to posts let alone build.  I'm hoping to have work ship shape by the end of June though and then I can get back to the ship yard more often.  

I did make some progress today.  Not much but some.  I finished off the cannons on the port side and added the hatches.   

post-307-0-33336100-1369890619_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-32041800-1369890620_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-28698200-1369890621_thumb.jpg

Still a lot more to go.    

More than 1/2 way through the cannons.  They look like a formidable challenge.

Don't beat yourself up for 'life' getting in the way.  It happens to us all.....and we're a patient bunch (except for he who builds on his bus). 

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Daniel,

One does what one does when time allows...  <sigh>  The creed of us working types.  I've got the same complaints.  Now I could just retire.... 

Great looking work.  At least if you put in few minutes here, a few minutes there, at some point, you'll realize how much you accomplished.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looking good Daniel I think making Cannons that small would send me over the brink.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Daniel,

One does what one does when time allows...  <sigh>  The creed of us working types.  I've got the same complaints.  Now I could just retire.... 

Great looking work.  At least if you put in few minutes here, a few minutes there, at some point, you'll realize how much you accomplished.

I'm finding that's true.  I find from time to time that for being a patience bottle builder I sure don't have enough patience.  

Looking good Daniel I think making Cannons that small would send me over the brink.

Michael

They have just about sent me over the brink.  I got them all done yesterday and not a day to soon.  

More than 1/2 way through the cannons.  They look like a formidable challenge.

Don't beat yourself up for 'life' getting in the way.  It happens to us all.....and we're a patient bunch (except for he who builds on his bus). 

I wouldn't say I'm beating my self up so much as i am tired of work and the drama lama's of work.  Makes it worse when I get home get the kiddo's to bed and then am to tired to build.  Things are looking up though.  Another month and I'll have things where they want them and then I think I'll take a week off.  

it's a busy life.........model building should be done to ease life's tensions.  the beauty of it however,  is that it can be done to one's own spare time,  for fun and recreation.......best not to muddle the fun with duty.........each has their sweet time ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I agree Popeye.  Nothing like ending the day with a cold root beer, the smell of saw dust, and beautiful lines of a ship in progress.  

Daniel;

Always love those little guys, I tried to do one, but my hands were all thumbs, finally gave up and just watch you professionals do it.

runner63

At least you gave it a try.  Most of the guys in my club look at what I do and say. "Better you than me."  

Well I got the cannons done and I still had  bit of sanity left so I added some hatches and a capstan.  Now that my sanity is totally shot I'll call it a day.  

post-307-0-90068800-1370496490_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-12523000-1370496490_thumb.jpg

So did you properly half lap the slats on the hatches? inquiring minds want to know! ;)

Looking good Sir

Michael

As a matter of fact I didn't. 

The hatches I made by staining a copy of the plans then cutting out the piece and gluing it on.  A trick I learned from Greg Alvey of www.folkartinbottles.com.  It was part of his build of the Bounty.    

awesome!!!!   so much detail in a little package!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

The hatches I made by staining a copy of the plans then cutting out the piece and gluing it on.  A trick I learned from Greg Alvey of www.folkartinbottles.com.  It was part of his build of the Bounty

Lends a whole new spin on 3D printing.

Michael

Thank you Popeye.  This one is turning out to be a lot of fun.  

Michaiel - To some extant yea.  I've been able to get a lot of detail on this ship using my printer.  The windows on the sides and stern as well as the name are all printed and glued on with some paint touch ups.  I like adding the detail just to see if I can.  

Well I was able to get one of the rails done.  I was hoping to have both done but apparently one year olds don't need sleep.  All well there's always another time for ships.  Here's my progress.  

post-307-0-89136700-1371530925_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-92993400-1371530926_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-40802300-1371530927_thumb.jpg

Actually I think the rails really accent the windows.  

apparently one year olds don't need sleep.

Been there done that! my second son was colicky and a lot of long nights walking and soothing, thankfully he is 30 now and is a wonderful Father to two boys himself.

The rail looks great Daniel.

Michael

I love it.  The canons, windows and even the name badge.  Wow!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Now the other rail is complete.  It's been a productive last couple days.  I still have some hull work to do namely the deck stanchions and cat heads.  I think i'll start on the masts as well though.  

post-307-0-36226600-1371792856_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-32407000-1371792858_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-93258200-1371792858_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-41133200-1371792857_thumb.jpg

OK, the capstan bars have put me over the edge.  Think I'll go spend my time watching that guy who's putting a Syren in an multi-dose injection vial......what was his name again ???

Stunning.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

very nice work Daniel......super detail!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Capstan bars!!!!!!  :o  :o  :o

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys your comments are much appreciated. 

I admit those darn capstan bars about put me over the edge.  

Got the starboard deck stanchions in.  Just have to do the Port side and the cat heads and anchors and the hull is done.  

post-307-0-22909400-1373062697_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-97429900-1373062697_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-99916200-1373062698_thumb.jpg

post-307-0-64055700-1373062695_thumb.jpg

Wonderful Sir!!

Michael

can't help but say it again.........so much detail in such a small package  :)     gonna look nice refracted in glass ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: