Cutter Cheerful 1806 by Rustyj - FINISHED - 1:48 Scale

Hi Glenn,

Sorry for the delay but I had to first shake some cobwebs loose.

I took the lengths and pattern right from the plans. It's a four plank

shift and the plans show the joint locations. I marked the bulkheads

and got my plank lengths from there.

Hope this helps.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 7 months later...

Hello Rusty!

Beautiful Cheerful build! I’ll be using your build log when I get to mine which is waiting on the shelf for me to gain more experience. I do have a question, what wood did you use for the deck and is there a finish on it? I just love the bleached look and I’d like to go that route on my build. Thank you for the info!

Rick

Edited by Freebird

Hi Rick and thanks for the kind words. The deck was planked with holly. The cheerful is a wonder model and you should really enjoy it.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Rusty,

Thank you for the reply - much appreciated! Now the question is, where can you find holly? It seems to have all but vanished. Thoughts?

Before starting on Cheerful, I need to get at least 1 build under my belt, and that’s where Chuck’s Medway Longboat comes into play. More to come later.

Rick

Edited by Freebird

Sorry but I really don't know where you can find it now. I only have a little left from what I bought many years ago.

Enjoy the Medway. It's a great choice.

Thanks Don, You really can't go wrong choosing this model. It's great fun and a good learning experience!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

8 hours ago, Freebird said:

Rusty,

Thank you for the reply - much appreciated! Now the question is, where can you find holly? It seems to have all but vanished. Thoughts?

Before starting on Cheerful, I need to get at least 1 build under my belt, and that’s where Chuck’s Medway Longboat comes into play. More to come later.

Rick

You can get Holly from Gilmore Wood Company, but you need to mill it into the proper sizes yourself:

https://www.gilmerwood.com/categories/38-boards-and-blanks/products?utf8=✓&filter=Holly&category=

9 hours ago, Freebird said:

Now the question is, where can you find holly?

Hello Freebird, can I ask which country you are in?

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

2 hours ago, Freebird said:

I’m in the northeast,  Connecticut 

Gilmer will ship to you.  It won't be cheap mind you as you are shipping a chunk of wood, but they usually have some good pieces of American Holly in stock.