Cutter Cheerful 1806 by Rustyj - FINISHED - 1:48 Scale

Hi All,

We've had some really cold weather here. -25F last night. That means lots of

time in the workshop. :) I've started the outboard planking from the wales upwards.

Here is the batten strip placed to set the run of the wales.

post-43-0-63080500-1455484553_thumb.jpg

The first layer of the wales have been added as well as a thin strip added bellow

the gunports. This serves a location for the molding to be placed in a second layer

as well insuring the run is smooth.

post-43-0-03649900-1455484556_thumb.jpg

Then the planks were added between the wales and the molding strip.

post-43-0-15694800-1455484558_thumb.jpg

She looks a little sloppy now but once I finish the planking between the gunports

I'll give it a quick sanding to clean it up.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks Bob. Mind if I throw it in the mail so you can plank the hull? ;)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

I’ve added the planking between the gun ports. Pretty straight forward.

Still a lot of sanding to do.

post-43-0-60149300-1455744773_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-66843900-1455744775_thumb.jpg

Here you can see the stern framing with the reference line it will need to be

sanded down to prior to planking the Transom.

post-43-0-14723200-1455744771_thumb.jpg

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Very nice work !  - look forward to following along.

Current Build: Willie L. Bennett - Model Shipways

Future Interests:  Friendship Sloop - BlueJacket Ship Crafters

Cape Cod Catboat - BlueJacket Ship Crafters 

Thanks gerty.

Bob it'd be money well spent as I'm always learning from you.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hi All,

The transom has been planked but like everything else needs a good sanding.

post-43-0-05257400-1456076908_thumb.jpg

Here you can see how interior of the outside stern frames have to

be thinned down to about 1/6".

post-43-0-04894300-1456076910_thumb.jpg

Next I'll have to do the fashion pieces and start planking the hull.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thank you Ben and also the "likes".

I've made the fashion pieces and placed them. At this point I'm supposed

to add the second layer of the wales. I decided to delay putting them on until

I run the first couple of rows of hull planking.

post-43-0-10890700-1456274185_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-20344000-1456274187_thumb.jpg

The plans shows a drop plank near the bow. So I'm running the first two strakes

with the drop plank before lining off the rest of the hull. A card template was used

to find its shape and then cut from a boxwood sheet.

post-43-0-22627900-1456274189_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-51904000-1456274191_thumb.jpg

Next up will be a lot of planking. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hi rusty

Jumping on board to watch your build, I have a Syren waiting on shelf for me

after I finish my Endeavour. From what I have seen so far your build

will be a good one to get some tips and ideas from and to see how

it should be done.

cheers Chris

Edited by Cabbie

At this point I'm supposed to add the second layer of the wales. I decided to delay putting them on until I run the first couple of rows of hull planking.

I wish I had thought of this when I was at this stage, Rusty.

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Thanks Chris and welcome aboard!

Thanks Mike. Unfortunately this revelation came from screwing up the Wales on a couple of other builds. :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hi All,

After placing the first two strakes it was time to line off the hull. The hull

was divided into two bands of 9. Each band was laid out using tick strips

and a planking fan as Chuck described in his log. I also added the second

layer to the wales now. I will wait to paint them until the hull is fully planked.

Here is the first belt fully planked.

post-43-0-68799100-1456694304_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-93068700-1456694306_thumb.jpg

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Nice work, Rusty.  Do you mask off the not-the-wales planks or ???  Curious since most seem to paint the wales first.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Chuck.

Mark I've free handed in the past. If it doesn't go well this time I'll start over and mask it off.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Movin right along, Rusty. Looks good to me! You could just tape it off and skip the freehand. :)

Edited by Stuntflyer

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Freehand?  Thy hands are steadier than a rock, good sir.  I salute you.  :im Not Worthy:   If it were me, everything but the wales would end up black.  ;)  :D

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Well I've been successful in the past so I'm game to try again.

Getting tougher every year though. ;)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Well I've completed the hull planking and the square tuck. Taking ones time,

using the planking fan, planning out the belts and run of the planks actual

makes for a very enjoyable experience. No more forcing planks and getting

an uneven planking job. Follow Chucks description and methods and you won't

be disappointed.

post-43-0-41078700-1457484959_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-24821900-1457484961_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-41630600-1457484963_thumb.jpg

Also you'll notice that a work area cleaning was recently completed!

I'll be out of touch for a couple of days so I'll apologize now for any late response.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Looks beautiful Rusty...the planking pattern shows up really well. Do you use a pencil on the edges or another trick?

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Nicely done...she is a fun hull to plank...much better than those huge frigates dont you think.

Chuck

Thanks Nigel. Yes I use a pencil on one edge.

Thanks Chuck. Oh it's sooooo much more fun although I think knowing now what you've

taught me I would have done a much better job on the Confederacy.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Nice looking hull Rusty. I just ordered Chuck's kit but need to learn a bit more before I start it.

Edited by alde

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Rusty nice work on the hull very clean, you must be pleased.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Looks good Rusty!  I'm glad so many of you guys are ahead of me on the planking.  It gives some good visuals on where I'm headed.  I have to say, it's kind of crazy you just started your build only 7 weeks ago!

Erik

Thanks Al. It's a great build and between the instructions and all the help here you can't go wrong.

Yes Michael I am and thank you.

Eric You're glad just like I am to follow behind those great planking jobs before me.

Seven weeks Is more like a dozen during the winter here and semi retirement. Within

a month everything will slow way down. :(

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 3 weeks later...

Well I’ve been able to get some time to work on the Cheerful and all the

treenails have been added. I went with the simulated ones as Chuck

described. I decided to go very subtle with the color of the treenails.

post-43-0-26352500-1459037715_thumb.jpg

While doing the treenails the clumsy hands came to visit and a couple of

planks suffered some damage. So a minor tear out and repair was in order.

It’s fun to do stuff twice. :D

post-43-0-66070500-1459037716_thumb.jpg

The molding have been place, wales have been painted black and a coat

of wipe on poly applied.

post-43-0-39204100-1459037723_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-03180500-1459037720_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-44385700-1459037726_thumb.jpg

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Great looking hull, Rusty.  I agree on "doing it twice makes everything twice as nice".   My grandmother used to say that and didn't get it until I started model ship building.  :D

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: