HMS Sirius 1797 by paulsutcliffe - 1:48 - POF from NMM plans

Fabricated Square bolts for the channel supporters from some brass nails, filed to square and flat in the mini vice

20181111_183658.thumb.jpg.4abc91dc0889f513d17d484309c970fc.jpg

20181111_183618.thumb.jpg.26a301e32cc708f1566e2c2cd47f0dd2.jpg

20181111_182921.thumb.jpg.84a41712b814e73cef2c78135c48d195.jpg

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Terminator drill stand got its first outing as well, I made a small jig to drill the ends of the supporters in the same spot

20181111_183018.thumb.jpg.3d3f1c7eb92d08b9c3c8ff06909b921a.jpg

Previous builds-

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Hi Druxey

On my profile plans they show a triple in this position, I checked aots Diana and eds niaid build and couldn't see anything like this but decided as I'm not rigging I would show as per the plans, however I'm still unsure about that decision, what do you think?

Regards

Paul

Previous builds-

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

How unusual! I wonder why a block was used there rather than a deadeye. However, if the profile plan is 'as built', one can't argue with it!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Maybe it was an "experiment" Druxey.  Some of the French ships had that arrangement.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I was wondering the same thing, the lines for the Sirius were taken from a Spanish ship, could be something to do with that??

Regards

Paul 

Previous builds-

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Paul, we know that the French took ideas from other nations ships.  Same for the British.   I'd assume that the Spanish did also.   Innovation and new ideas weren't a secret for long.  So while the hull maybe have Spanish, it's possible the rigging came from somewhere else.  I've run into similar things on my current build. Sometime I can find the influence/source, other times I just have to wonder.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Paul, I believe this block on the channel would be for a running breast backstay fall or for the fall of a shifting backstay.  These are described in James Lees, The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War 1625-1860 (p.55) "Breast Backstays Runn." are also listed for topmasts in Steel's Elements of Mastmaking, etc. (p. 239) with falls and blocks.  In both references tackle blocks are double and single, however, not triple (?).  In McKay's Victory AOS, the rigging list includes stays of this type with tackles for top and topgallant masts.  The topmast tackles are shown on his standing rigging elevation drawings, but those for the tg mast are listed but not shown.   Longridhge also describes these and shows the channel blocks in his drawings in Anatomy of Nelson's Ships.  I installed these on Victory's fore and main topmasts and that triggered my recollection.

Not a definitive answer but may help you track them down.

Ed.

Thanks Guy  @the learner glad you like it, shame it can hardly be seen now under the forecastle

Hi Ed

Thanks for that, the profile plan shows a triple on the fore channel as well, I will check out Longridge

Regards

Paul

Edited by paulsutcliffe

Previous builds-

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

• 3 weeks later...

Fabrication of the entry steps, I was going to do with a scraper then remembered reading about laminating something like this, the profile plan shows a very ornate edging so I decided on four layers, 1/32 strips were cut on the table saw then the four lengths, one two and three were glued together to make a steeped top, number four  lines up with number two and creates the bottom lip, I rounded the edges before adding

20181129_200440.thumb.jpg.189a32579cf1bb27cce8230790747d50.jpg

The rear edges will then be levelled up, bevelled to the hull, copper pins added and then stuck to the hull

Regards

Paul

20181129_195712.jpg

Edited by paulsutcliffe

Previous builds-

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Thanks everyone for the likes 

Four steps fitted, glued and pinned with copper wire

20181201_160819.thumb.jpg.7f8eee1f66fecb93073e37b61ed4cf79.jpg

Regards

Paul

Previous builds-

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Very interesting method on the step and a wonderful result,  Paul.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks Albert and Mark and all for the likes

All steps now fitted and fenders and chesstree

20181203_161105.thumb.jpg.47ab3d2a9b220704c8a9cfffb6d806f0.jpg20181203_161156.thumb.jpg.05583c4233a8cd2497218c2b7c2191fe.jpg

Regards

Paul

Previous builds-

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

I'm still not happy with the windows on this side, so next job is to remove them and redo

20181203_162158.thumb.jpg.f3007731000b62bc616d7df349085334.jpg

Regards

Paul

Previous builds-

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

So as I said above I have started on re-doing the windows, First one below, old one at the top new one in the middle, just in case you can't tell the difference and the tin template I made originally

20181210_172438.thumb.jpg.7882ee6407cc03e7d659cd97c3410a3f.jpg

Previous builds-

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

So all windows have been replaced, for some reason the middle one wasn't happy and I wouldn't fit, I remade it and it broke during fitting so this is the third try

20181217_184213.thumb.jpg.48110291b9e601b3d15bd1ef6f85c3b3.jpg

Previous builds-

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

I also made the bottom part of the galleries with the little ball on the end, the bottom is drilled for the poop shoot

20181217_181851.thumb.jpg.8f6322cf1fdfef537c3f95cefced14c6.jpg

While in the mood for redos I resanded the gallery top sealed and repainted so a lot smoother, repainted the reservoir front piece and then thought I would replace the fashion piece as well

20181217_181837.thumb.jpg.def7db149d6b392bb3d9d3e6fcc8c255.jpg

I always thought the gallery fashion piece were some sort of mythical sea creature but studying the plans they look like an acanthus leaf at the bottom

Previous builds-

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

So all redone on the port side

20181217_184213.thumb.jpg.4f166fe3a554cc86a8c98d134586befc.jpg

And one with the port open

20181217_184233.thumb.jpg.353edec26352fb7854bf62b16c9c4336.jpg

Regards

Paul 

Previous builds-

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

With regards to the previous conversation about my cheerful hull and the lines that had appeared the experimental piece to try and repeat the effect has shown nothing

20181217_181902.thumb.jpg.f2b2f5d125a839f97d09c921f60765cd.jpghowever the hull which has been covered up in ordinary, through one of our hottest summers and now a cold wet winter isn't happy at all

20181217_181914.thumb.jpg.8c3baebb4ef84dd1141cff578a6f1e3a.jpg20181217_181923.thumb.jpg.0574f2ef24e806807a01cac4157ebe82.jpg

The lines have gotten bigger and the planks are warped out of shape in places, I'm thinking landrotten @Landrotten Highlander was right and it was more to do with expansion than the sealer etc, I guess when I get back to it they will all have to come off

Edited by paulsutcliffe

Previous builds-

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Lovely work on the outer hull details, Paul, and the quarter gallery windows look great -interesting and challenging work with all the crazy angles and curves.

Wow, that is some destructive effect on the planking, Paul.  I have the same questions as, Druxey.  I  wonder, did you use dry heat to shape the planks, and then directly install?  I know for example if you boil plank for bending and do not let it dry before installing that significant gaps will form - perhaps the opposite effect of what you have experienced?  Very peculiar.

Yeah that's not shrinkage, that's expansion causing those lines and ripples. They must have been put on under exceptionally dry conditions and then been exposed to 90% humidity. If you have that much humidity range in your shipyard and can't control it otherwise, best bet is planking in springtime or fall, in between the extremes.

I'm sorry for that, must not have been a good day when you saw that had happened.

Thanks guys for the likes and comments

Druxey, I never really thought there was much difference here in humidity as we have rain rain rain as you know, however this summer has been one of the hottest on record going back to the 70's apparently, my shipyard is in the garage and it was like an oven in there at times

The planks are all holly and were about 1/16 thick from wood that has been in the garage for over four years, cut into slices half inch thick to season.

Ed, yes I used a hot air gun as has been discussed on other logs as the best way to go and no boiling, I did do the planking earlier in the year and then it has sat all through the summer in the hot garage, I heated them up bent around a former and then glued on, the planks are glued to the frames and to each other whereas the experimental piece is not under any pressure from behind or sideways

Vossie, no I wasn't to impressed when I lifted the cover up, I had originally quite liked the lines between the planks as it looked like real caulking but now its gone a bit to far with the warping, I think it was around may/june when I did the planking which was quite warm and then its sat covered up awaiting my return, the wife bought the kit from chuck as my 60th birthday present in march

Thanks all

Regards

Paul

Previous builds-

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Did you perhaps install planking that had just been delivered? Somehow that wood was bone dry when it was installed with nice tight joints and then it was exposed to humidity and expanded much more than I would have guessed possible- that's comparatively considerable change in plank width. That looks like normal boxwood, I didn't think it was that dimensionally unstable. That's the kind of wood movement you expect out of plain sawn oak.

No you say it was delivered in March and a couple months would be enough for basic acclimatization. I think maybe it has to be the hot air gun then? If you're getting them more dry than they would be acclimatized and installing right then with a tight fit, it will have nowhere to go when moisture gets back into those planks.

If it was in your garage hot and covered, that could also have acted like a sauna, semi-steaming the very dry wood. But even then I wouldn't have guessed it would go that far.

So carrying on working towards the front of the boat, I made a little star for the cathead, had to be this is the Sirius after all, and then started kn the head works main rail first

20181221_181428.thumb.jpg.012900fd8a2c71ba04983d1227996f96.jpg

The star is a bit thick its only tacked on to check the sizing

20181221_181349.thumb.jpg.43e9d41e66b3d856e0a45b3ef02aad8e.jpg

Regards

Paul

Previous builds-

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Merry Christmas and  a prosperous new year to all, thanks for following along and the helpful comments and Instruction over the last year and of course the many likes/reacted which seems to drive you on and help keep up the enthusiasm at times of desperation

Kind Regards

Paul

Previous builds-

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Happy and prosperous new year to everyone

Continuing with the head timbers I have made the lower rail, cathead supporter and eking piece, druxey states in his comet fireship book that the supporter is one of the hardest parts to shape and cut, he tells fibs ha!!! The head timbers are a real pain to shape and cut inbetween the rails and I have made umpteen templates and wrongly shaped pieces to get to these shapes, which don't really look much at the end.

20190102_184300.thumb.jpg.b7cac64b758f8cae7504bf78951ae15e.jpg

Regards

Paul 

Previous builds-

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁