HMS Sirius 1797 by paulsutcliffe - 1:48 - POF from NMM plans

Excellent Paul - I assume the garage has emerged from the winter freeze.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Very nice Paul and good to hear that your mind is in good shape as well, we often take our bodies for granted until something serious happens then we cherish how wonderful life is. Complaining about the weather the heat or cold of it is acceptable in any part of the globe though. One of the reasons I moved to where I am now the outside temp has no affect on the inside temp provided I pay the bills and the heater doesn't have a malfunction.

!7 years Hmmm that is dedication to the task and a beautiful result. The nail is intriguing as well.

Michael 

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks everyone for the likes, Keith yes more or less especially last week when we had that warm spell although the temperature has dropped again this week and the heater has had to go on, managing to ge tout there for an hour or so though, please see my log in the painting section after your comments  about people taking out a contract on you painting your beautiful mahogany😁

Michael thanks for your comments and yes the health and mind seem to be in Good shape now thankfully, I think we all have the same problems with paying the bills though, that being the main reason im not in the garage 24/7

17 years is a long time but to be honest I only worked on it for a couple of months to start with until resurrecting four years ago, I am getting a bit brain drained with it now though and would like to get it finished so I can move onto something else, unfortunately rushing things is something you cant do with this hobby, now the clocks have moved forward and the temperature is going in the right direction more time can be spent out there

The nail is solid copper from the deck of the sirius, very kindly sent to me by the curator of the grand port museum in Mauritius

Regards

Paul

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Hi BE thanks for dropping in and nice comment

Realised that I was back to knees for the quarterdeck and got a  headache so thought I would have a mess around with some resin for cheerful guns, I've had some silicone putty for mould making for a while again acquired from my friends dental lab

20190410_192200.thumb.jpg.23d884bc22f64dc8f085e8d2c57a9c95.jpg

Ended up making three or four moulds, standing and lying down until I got some reasonable castings, the First ones at the top I add colour but stopped that as they seemed softer than the non coloured

20190410_191849.thumb.jpg.f6448d0a9d39445cbb3012fea9ef5794.jpg

So here we have five guns that are being used between the sirius and cheerful

Cheerful carronade

Sirius carronade

Sirius 9 lb long gun

12 lb carriage Sirius forecastle

18 lb painted Sirius main gun

20190410_191754.thumb.jpg.fa9fb1c2e3fc8d5e80c0314078ada7a1.jpg

20190404_100749.thumb.jpg.902c45ccb9b9b834a5365bfc05c79040.jpg

@Blue Ensignrealising how small those cheerful carronades are I'm amazed at the detail you put into your guns, I'm going to have to get stronger optivisor to get anywhere near those, anyway now onto those dreaded hanging and lodging knees

Regards

Paul

Previous builds-

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Paul - I must try making moulds some time - it looks like a useful technique. We seem to be going downhill in terms of temperature, it was very chilly in the workshop today and I was glad to leave it.

Keith

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

Your not wrong Keith, I went out there this morning for half an hour and my fingers were so cold I had to leave, supposed to be reaching 20 degrees by the weekend though so hopefully will be able to get some building time in

Previous builds-

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

1 hour ago, paulsutcliffe said:

my fingers were so cold I had to leave

Don't you guys get Spring over there.........it's late here as well, we had snow on the ground this morning. 

Yes spring is coming, beautiful sunny days  but cold, all the trees and flowers are coming out, summer temperatures by the weekend apparently, if you believe the weathermen 

Previous builds-

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

• 1 month later...

So after trying to find every excuse I could to put off the lodging knees I have finally managed to finish them, hence the few weeks since last entry

20190522_093733.thumb.jpg.f6f4338ee7b4d8239acb6a9088869578.jpg

I have also worked on the mizzen mast step and associated gratings etc

20190522_093748.thumb.jpg.14bbed5e3ee1db2826cc6a0da3acd1c3.jpg

Previous builds-

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

As a diversion while doing the knees (for some reason they get right into my head) I made a new mould for the cheerful guns after adding a tompion, kings cypher and gunlock cover

20190522_093957.thumb.jpg.44f034994213a2a46b1925bd276953ff.jpg

The new mould can be seen below and behind is how they come out before trimming, painting etc I also added a breeching ring above the cascable which hou can just make out in the photo

20190522_094123.thumb.jpg.24bee72013b0d4b0eb8f3cbd121f4255.jpg

Previous builds-

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Behind the mizzen mast is normally the companion/skylight which is shown on most models including the Diana models in the NMM my plans show a normal grating here but with a raised coaming ,on the plan from above just a square with companion written on it and on the profile a flat grating and coaming, does anyone have any ideas how I should show this? A grating or skylight that is the question?

Which would be appropriate, the Diana book shows a skylight?

Previous builds-

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

I'd say go with the plans for this ship.   There were many variations between ships of the same class, a practice which continues to this day.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 5/22/2019 at 9:51 AM, paulsutcliffe said:

I have finally managed to finish them

Paul

I am tempted to say that I like the look of your knees - but I am fearful that this may be misconstrued!

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

Thanks Keith's that made me chuckle, cutting holly for the few deck planks needed is the next job and deciding on the skylight or grating, probably grating as that's whats shown on the plan as Mark said above

Previous builds-

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Unfortunately a sad end to last evening our elder cat of 17 years came in with his paw hanging like he'd been run over. We rushed him to the vets who very kindly opened up at that time of night, he informed us that he had had a kind of stroke and had a blood clot blocking an artery somewhere. We had to decide to put him to sleep and I buried him this morning next to his best friend who passed a few years ago 

Sleep tight old fella

Edited by paulsutcliffe

Previous builds-

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Sad news indeed, my deepest sympathies Paul. They are as much a part of the family as the people are. Our cat Amelia passed on her respects. 

I’m sorry to hear that.  You have my condolences.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Sorry to read of your loss, Paul. It was a tough call. I had no idea cats were prone to strokes or blood clots until we had a similar episode with our Kit Kaboodle some years ago. He was only seven. My sympathy.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Poor thing - but I bet he had a good life.

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

Thanks guys and Amelia,  he sure did Keith, we had him from about six weeks old and he only went to the vets once ( to be neutered) until last night

Edited by paulsutcliffe

Previous builds-

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

I'm saddened by this Paul.  Pets are family and the lose goes deep.  My condolences.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thankyou mark and Rick, you are not wrong, last night my other half left her black  jeans on the floor and as I went up the stairs I nearly had a heart attack as I thought it was him lying there

Regards

Paul

Edited by paulsutcliffe

Previous builds-

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Paul, my condolences, too. My little friends send theirs, too. You'll see him over the Rainbow Bridge. 😢

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thankyou Ken and your little friends, I sure hope so he was a special little fella

Previous builds-

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

• 2 weeks later...

Paul,

I took some pics for you like you requested.  Posted on the Naval Academy ship photo thread I started.

Academy Ship Model link

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

So we had a couple of days of sunshine last week and I managed to get my table saw out and cut some holly ready for the quarterdeck planking, good job I did it when I did as its rained ever since

20190620_174443.thumb.jpg.1558039e85d282fa425a9e0c00c8f689.jpg

Now need to cut into planking on the small Proxxon saw, next photos hopefully of some planking on the quarterdeck

Edited by paulsutcliffe

Previous builds-

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

On 6/20/2019 at 4:45 PM, paulsutcliffe said:

good job I did it when I did as its rained ever since

We're in a drought here, hasn't rained for two days! All kidding aside, it's been one wet spring. Farmers and shore birds suffering.