Greenwich Hospital barge of 1832 by druxey - FINISHED - 1:48 scale

Druxey,

a brilliant made model  :) :)

Nils 

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

With all of your work that I have had the good fortune to see up close and personal over the years, this one blows me away as much as the "big" builds. 

Painting a burl finish??  Please tell me you did not also make that US 25 cent piece you show in the photos :) :)

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thank you, Hakån. I now intend to use a toned rather than pure black. The latter would look too intense at this scale.

This morning I performed surgery successfully on the planking and frames in the coach section. The end patterns for the coach have also been cut and fitted. Elastic bands hold the model to the pedestals temporarily.

There was some hesitation on my part as to the completeness of the draught. The side windows showed no indication of panes. Were they open spaces? In the 1830's modern sheet glass techniques had not yet been invented. Only spun glass was available for glazing, limiting pane size. The height of these openings was 19". Most panes during this time period were only about 15" high at most. I finally found a reference to spun glass panes that said the maximum dimension of these was about 23". Therefore I have the confidence to install single, large panes along the sides of the coach. Of course, these would have been expensive, showing off the Commissioners' importance and rank.

post-635-0-08414000-1459018044_thumb.jpg

post-635-0-58578100-1459018046_thumb.jpg

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

A beautifully constructed model,  Druxey.  You certainly set a high standard to aim for,  which is only for the good.

Incidentally,  I should be at the NMM on 7th April.  I will take some pictures of the underside area of the rowing benches of Prince Frederick's barge,  and try to show the balusters supporting them.  There may be some additional details there that will be of interest.

Incidentally,  the cabin on this barge,  which is much earlier,  has large panes of glazing.  I believe that it was made by blowing a large cylinder,  and then cutting it along its length and flattening it out.  I know this was a technique used,  but I am not sure of if it was still current in the period being discussed.

All the best,  and keep the exemplars coming please!

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Thanks again, everyone.

Mark: cylinder glass was introduced in the early 20th century. It was not available in the 1830's. I have photographic details of the rowing benches of Prince Frederick's barge already, thank you. The balusters are of a rather extreme shape! However, I believe the NMM hold other ceremonial barges somewhere; perhaps at Chatham?

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Hi Druxey. Superb model, which I have been following avidly.

I think cylinder glass in some form was available much earlier than the early 20th century. Many Georgian and Victorian houses over here have quite large panes of glass in them. I look after this building: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claremont_(country_house),where the original glass panes are substantial. I'd be happy to measure some for you, if it would help. This website: http://www.sashwindowslondon.org.uk/info/history-of-glass-manufacture.html has a potted history of glass referencing cylinder glass, polished plate glass, etc as available at the time of the Greenwich barge.

Best wishes

Rob

Rob: thank you. If you have more info on glass size availability in the 1830's, I'd appreciate this. I hadn't considered the possibility of ground, polished glass. Thanks for your comments and the links.

For the coachwork there are numerous repetitive ornamental mouldings. The first of these to produce is a five-reeded column. This is ⅛" wide, so it was tricky to work. I used a micro-milling cutter (Proxxon) on my mill using an x-y table to incrementally cut reeds into the stock. Also required were columnar capitals. Again, two different micro-milling cutters were used. One was a flat-bottomed cutter, the other a very small ball cutter. These produced a fair imitation of the design. 

The millwork is gradually being built up on the pattern piece. The pattern will be integrated into the coach, as the assembly will be painted when completed. The outer corners still need to be bevelled. Each column consists of three pieces. The reeds are stopped; that is to say, they do not extend the whole length of the column. Plain pieces of stock are grafted on the top and bottom to produce the effect of stopped reeding. In addition, there are small fielded panels in the column bases. These were cut in using a scalpel and a micro chisel. The panels in the doors and on either side were added using stock a scale ⅜" thick. 

post-635-0-26518000-1459106103_thumb.jpg

post-635-0-56227200-1459106228_thumb.jpg

So you're not going to bother putting much detail in then ;-) ??

I just sit and gawp as this build progresses. Awesome!

Edited by Phill Elston

Hi Druxey, beautiful work, your fluting inspired me to jury rig up a fluting tool based on one I used in an architectural model in 1977 I have linked to it in jigs and tips

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi Druxey - 

The last several posts have been nothing less than stunning - and you know that I don't give out compliments like that lightly.  As usual you remind me why I love the artistic puzzle that is model shipcraft, and how how high you and a few others set the bar.  Many thanks for the inspiration.

If I can put in one thought, it is that the openings might not have been glazed at all, but had roll down screens of thin oiled fabric, much like the stagecoaches of the same period.  They would have been used only in inclement weather.  Light curtains for privacy also could be hung.   My sources here are closer to Forrester and O'Brian than to actual historic research, so I could be wildly off base.

Be well

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Druxey, your millwork looks as good as the beautiful work done by Norm Abram, of This Old House and New Yankee Workshop, in 1 to 1 scale. :cheers:

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thank you, gentlemen, for your kind remarks.

Dan: I'm basing my ideas on the Prince Frederick's barge in the NMM. This has glazed sash lights and ornamental drapes in the corners of the coach.

Well, no photos this time. I've been struggling with gilded finish for the coach. I first tried Humbrol gold paint. The look was too coppery red, 'grainy' and glossy. I stripped this off and sprayed using a yellower gold lacquer. Still far too shiny and grainy - it does not look right at this scale. I've just stripped this off using acetone (ugh!) in a well ventilated garage. I will experiment further. Gold leaf was one possibility, but it will reflect and magnify any tiny surface defect or dust mote. So... back to the workbench.

Druxey,

Gold leaf was one possibility, but it will reflect and magnify any tiny surface defect or dust mote

Couldn't you use the goldleaf and give it a flat finish with an airbrush ...

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I am sure I read somewhere here on MSW about someone using some type of artists 'wipe-on' gold on a figure to great effect.

Might have been Janos on one of his figureheads?  need to look through the many build logs I follow to find it again :(

Found it again :)

This is a link to the blog:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/501-carved-figure-heads-and-decorations/page-12

The guilding part starts at post 222, and the final solution is given on post 254 on page 13.

Edited by Landrotten Highlander

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam

Slainte gu mhath

L.H.

I agree on the Rub n' Buff - just a little at a time and buff it in well.  I've used this product on models and on outdoor lamps that had become very weathered - made them look brand new, but doesn't give a harsh glare.

The only gold leaf product I ever used (other then the real things) was a "gold leaf" paint I got from Micheal's.   I was doing some lettering on a car and it worked a treat.  It might be a little too thick for you boat though and I'm not sure how it would look thinned out.  The varigated is lovely paint.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

"I've just stripped this off using acetone (ugh!) in a well ventilated garage"

Thank goodness it was a beautiful day today so your garage was not to darned cold with the door open.

Hope you got out to enjoy some of that sun!

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

From the link provided by Mr. Highlander, druxey wrote:

I wasted more leaf than that when I was figuring out how to gild, Janos! Did you also read up on rabbitskin glue for water gilding?

Is that the method used on paper by calligraphers?  It seemed simpler to me (I saw a demonstration at a calligraphers' exhibition one time) than the red size method, was nicely gold, but not too brilliant.

Thanks for all these ideas, everyone. I'll try them out. I seem to recall using Buff 'n' Rub years ago on some picture frames. The low sheen it produced may be exactly what I'm after.

Druxey - 

That explains it.  They will look really good with glass.  In the scale that you are working, will a microscope slide cover be large enough?

As for PFB, I did not remember the windows from when I saw Lloyd McCaffery's version, but then I was focused on the figure that Lloyd carved of himself seated on a thwart and turning a splice into a line.  That man sure can carve wood.

Be well

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein