Greenwich Hospital barge of 1832 by druxey - FINISHED - 1:48 scale

If we are indeed voting... Sweeps tossed

Book sold... as you knew it would be!

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Druxey,

I've been pondering on the sweep display ... if you put them on racks beside the boat, you will probably loose the floating impression, and the board may look cluttered ... so for me I would go for the tossed display ... it might even add to that upward floating view you're striving for ...

Congrats on the book, that decision, in a way, was the easy part, now comes the hard part .. writing it down ... I do hope to add it to my diminishing shelve space ...

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thanks again for the opinions expressed so far.

I've now shaped half the sweeps. Perhaps comments on the accompanying photograph? I've simply staged the sweeps resting on the workbench. Also, they will be painted dull crimson when complete. I did try laying them out on the baseboard, but it looked rather crowded.

post-635-0-67175200-1461764748_thumb.jpg

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

I guess you could have the port side with oars extended and the stbd side upright as if it pulled up to a dock.  Isn't that how they would have arrived at a dock?

Maury

I guess you could have the port side with oars extended and the stbd side upright as if it pulled up to a dock.  Isn't that how they would have arrived at a dock?

Maury

Maury,

Both sides would be tossed simultaneously ...

Carl

congratulations on the book news, still think tossed would look best and put on quite a show

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Wow! seeing all of them they look huge, they look almost too big. I can see why they would look cluttered on the baseboard.

OK so if this were my problem which it isn't  I would do the following, Make a new base large enough to cover the area that the sweeps reach I would tone down the colour of the main field of colour to a softer pale greenish grey maintaining a border of the rich colours of the existing base, on the outside of a dust cover of some sort.  I believe this would better highlight the nature of this type of vessel, and display would look integrated with a clear intent.

regards Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Congratulations on the Book Druxey, I am sure it will be another fine addition to many libraries.

WRT the oars, the extended display over the baseboard  in the rowing configuration looks 'busy' in the photo but may be fine on display - but what about the glass/acrylic case fit?

If you stay with the existing base board, then perhaps an approach from left field?  Have you considered standing them up vertically behind, or at either end of the boat (drill holes into the base boardand make the case a little taller)?

Otherwise my vote would remain with oars tossed even if it hides some of the mast details

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

After seeing the picture, I'd be leaning towards tossed.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Great work Druxey!  How about having the oars in an extreme release position, that is to say, swept fully aft but not shipped.  Just another positioning to try and see how it looks to you.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Well folks, a variety of solutions to my dilemma! Thanks, everyone, for all the input and positive comments.

Although I'm still undecided, one of my correspondents AON (Alan) questioned the loom (squared portion) of the sweep. I looked up my source (Steel, 1816 edition) and found that the loom was often made round, not square, in section. I suspect that, given the limited clearance of the sweeps in the tholes, that this was the case here. I may now re-work those looms. 

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Indeed, the thole slots with that size square sweep shaft wouldn't allow much angular movement.  Good catch.

If we're still voting, I would go with tossed oars.  How you might secure them there without rowers ...?

Alan has a good eye as he's the only one who caught that about the looms.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I have one bad eye and one worsening eye.

What helped was 4 summers at HMCS Quadra (2 of which were spent working in the boat shed), over 40 years ago, sailing 27 foot whalers and 32 foot cutters. Spent 5 days in an open cutter on my Practical Leadership course.  When pulling, the whalers were single banked and the cutters double banked.  Each had different shaped sweeps due to the length inboard of the crutch. I was looking at Druxey's perfect sweeps with those curved blades and that is when the light went on and I asked about it.   Of course I've no experience with any other era least of all barges... but I once built a raft when I was about 8!

If it hadn't been for those memorable Sea Cadet summer camps I'd not have noticed.

Alan O'Neill

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

That is such a beautiful vessel, and so beautifully done.

I'd go for tossed oars if we're voting. But you'd need a crew  . . .

It is possible to make or carve crewmembers - whether from wood or other materials. But it would add to the job - you'd need a dozen of them, and then that would mean you'd also need a steersman, so that makes 13 - or 14 with a passenger . . . it all starts becoming a bit much. I enjoyed carving the crewman for my own build, and I'll be making maybe another 3 or 4 from scratch, but once it gets up to those kinds of numbers it stops being fun and becomes a bit of a chore.

Steven

Thanks again, all. 

Further to the sub-topic by Alan (AON), a contemporary model (c.1808) with oars definitely shows squared looms to the sweeps. This is a model of the 18 oared Lord Mayor's barge, in the London Museum Docklands.

post-635-0-09508100-1461936568_thumb.jpg

still seems odd to me

as the one fellow mentioned how much swing (or pivot) do they allow imagining a seated fellow leaning way forward and way backward for the full stroke.

If your crutch (or thole) allows the motion then... what the hey

Alan O'Neill

Ours is not to reason why... just take as much contemporary evidence as we can find and make our judgements accordingly.

P. S. Prince Frederick's barge, Queen Mary's shallop and the Charles II state barge all show square-sectioned looms to their sweeps. So who am I to argue otherwise?

still seems odd to me

as the one fellow mentioned how much swing (or pivot) do they allow imagining a seated fellow leaning way forward and way backward for the full stroke.

If your crutch (or thole) allows the motion then... what the hey

Alan,

Those whom decided on the type of sweep didn't give a rats hiney how much effort it took, or how much swing you'd have on those sweeps.

Ours is not to reason why... just take as much contemporary evidence as we can find and make our judgements accordingly.

P. S. Prince Frederick's barge, Queen Mary's shallop and the Charles II state barge all show square-sectioned looms to their sweeps. So who am I to argue otherwise?

Druxey,

I quite agree to your view, although, it doesn't mean that on this hospital barge it would be the same. The chance it is, is rather likely

Carl

Still not quite decided on presentation, but finally have completed cutting and shaping all 12 sweeps. Whew! Next will be to paint them.

post-635-0-06435100-1462021307_thumb.jpg

I still cannot take my eyes of the blades!

Very realistic curvature

If I didn't know they were tiny scaled down models I'd think these sweeps were the real thing.

(I can smell the salt water and I'm 1000 miles from it)

Alan O'Neill

I think, after much thought (read 'dithering'!) I've come to a decision on sweep display. I plan on mounting them in a similar fashion to those shown in post #503. Many thanks to everyone for your opinions and input on the subject. These certainly helped to clarify my thinking. Pictures to follow.

I think, after much thought (read 'dithering'!) I've come to a decision on sweep display. I plan on mounting them in a similar fashion to those shown in post #503. Many thanks to everyone for your opinions and input on the subject. These certainly helped to clarify my thinking. Pictures to follow.

That would certainly showcase your fine workmanship to its best advantage.

Bill

Mediocrity will never do. You are capable of something better.” ― Gordon B. Hinckley

Current build: Sovereign of the Seas 1637

My Book: Carving Ornamentation for Ship Models