Greenwich Hospital barge of 1832 by druxey - FINISHED - 1:48 scale

Free floating at an appropriate level, E&T.  As the sweeps will overhang the base by some distance, there will be sub-base as well.

Thanks for the other comments above. I've decided to paint dolphins on the blades. Why not? The oars are now crimson and look a little unfinished yet. More later.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

The first of twelve dolphins has been painted. It is based on an actual example in the RMG collection. By the way, the oar blade is ⅛" wide. Eleven more to go! (Click on the image to see the complete sweep)

post-635-0-72340600-1462284775_thumb.jpg

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

The first of twelve dolphins has been painted. It is based on an actual example in the RMG collection. By the way, the oar blade is ⅛" wide. Eleven more to go! (Click on the image to see the complete sweep)

Very nice decoration on the sweeps Druxey,

the dolphin looks painted 3D, well done !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

now i am impressed, how on earth did you paint the dolphin that size and so perfectly wow!!!!!!!!!!

ps you never told us how you curved the ends of the sweeps??

Edited by paulsutcliffe

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Thanks for the pictures and comments, everyone. 

How do I curve the blades? They are carved that way. I thought of steam bending, but they would never be entirely consistent.

The dolphin paint job is done with high-grade watercolour sable brushes in 0 and 1 sizes, using acrylic paints.

Well, a dozen dolphins done! I've secured the model permanently on the base and pedestals and set up a trial placement for the sweeps on one side. Comments, anyone?

post-635-0-86176300-1462300138_thumb.jpg

post-635-0-28281400-1462300142_thumb.jpg

I would think that the sweeps would be set on the other axis given that the section at the thole pins are restricting the rotation of them. Other than that they look quite extraordinary.

michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks, Michael. In actual use, I agree that the blades would be more vertical, but I was using the City of London barge model as my example. Perhaps I need to try orienting them that way.... Oh, the indecision!

Joel: not quite yet launch time: there are still two standards to make, hoist and fly.

Edited by druxey

Well, any advantage to showing the sweeps in a more operational orientation? Opinions welcomed.

The standards have been started. Some SilkSpan has been stretched (like watercolour paper) and the designs laid down using graphite paper. One is the Union Jack, the other is the Greenwich Hospital coat of arms.

post-635-0-80588500-1462312847_thumb.jpg

post-635-0-22980600-1462312850_thumb.jpg

Hi Druxey, exquisite work!

WRT suggestions on Operational display of oars - if there are no crew then not operational?  A feathered display might be more realistic?  just an opinion :) - and how else would a viewer appreciate the full detail of those miniature masterpieces? :)

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I have had to go back several times for the dolphins.  They look carved and the detail is incredible.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Art in its best form.  I am really enjoying this build.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Splendid detail, Druxey!! I've seen the dolphins on the real size sweeps, and when I see yours, at their size ... they are spot on ...

Reading Jan's (Amateur) remark I had a better look. Those on the port side seem to swimming upside-down, is that correct? Is there a difference between port and starboard side sweeps when painted ...

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I'm curious about the proportions of the flags.  Would they or would they not be the same shape?  My reading has left the impression that Navy ensigns and standards were to the same (changeable) proportions, and since the Jack derives from the ensign would the proportions change?

I'm glad to see that the St. Patrick's Cross you have rotated to the left to signify its third place in the hierarchy.  A small but significant detail.

Beautiful work, Druxey.  My vote would be for the blades to be vertical, but this does not show off the lovely blade decoration as well as the horizontal arrangement.

I am always puzzled by the length of these sweeps because the mechanical advantage for the rower is really minimized - requiring much more force on each stroke - to say nothing of traffic problems.  Of course shorter oars would require more strokes.  Was there a reason?

Ed

Hi Druxey

The sweeps look great - your painting of the dolphins is outstanding.  I like the second option - vertical - best, but either looks really good.

Thanks for participating in the straw poll! I'm still dithering, but tending toward vertical orientation.

Meanwhile, work on the ensigns continues. The first sides are painted. As these will be hanging naturally in folds, the coat of arms is more impressionistic than realistic. The 'white' is actually more a cream color.

post-635-0-61432800-1462390247_thumb.jpg

Ed

from my hands on experience with sweeps... the length is required to reach the water without the oarsman sitting on a highchair

Alan

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

I didn't find anything definitive on the proportions of the flags, but did find the same emblem you have on your coat of arms flag.  It is also on a round shield on the gates of the Greenwich Hospital.

Beautiful work, Druxey; both the sweeps and the standards For what it's worth I prefer the sweeps with the blades horizontal. I agree the dolphins are displayed to greater advantage, and if they're not in use there's no reason for them not to be feathered.

Steven

Well, decision time for the sweeps! While 'feathered' is an attractive and perhaps obvious choice, I think I'll place the oars with blades vertical. Why? The dolphins draw the eye away from the boat too much and, by placing the blades vertically, one can see the transition from body to blade on the other side clearly. The viewer will only 'discover' the dolphins as his or her point of view changes.

I really appreciate the time and trouble those of you took to give me input on this issue. It certainly helped clarifying my own thinking. Pictures later!

Druxey,

those flags look super !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50