Greenwich Hospital barge of 1832 by druxey - FINISHED - 1:48 scale

beautiful work Druxey,

love those fine sharp lines, and excellent clinker planking...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks again for the likes and comments, everyone. And yes, Ed, I too am mortal!

The sequence of construction needs to be carefully considered. Before adding the keelson (making replacement on the plug impossible) a last half-strake needed to be cut and fitted. This will carry all the ornamental scrollwork aft. It has a sinuous S-curve in plan, and required the entire elastic band brigade to damp-shape it into position.

post-635-0-92447800-1455639463_thumb.jpg

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Finally the shell has been completed. It is quite delicate right now, as the last half strake is only edge-glued to the strake below. However, the pink stern is quite strong, even at this stage.

Next will be installing the keelson, followed by bending in the frames. The plug, as you can see, has been beaten up quite a bit in the process of planking.

post-635-0-61808700-1455663199_thumb.jpg

post-635-0-62793200-1455663201_thumb.jpg

post-635-0-53770000-1455663204_thumb.jpg

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

druxey,

Normally I wouldn't be interested in the subject matter of this build but watching you work has changed my mind.  This is an awesome little model, and I can't wait to see how it ends up.  I have no doubt it will be absolutely gorgeous.

Tom

Edited by wyzwyk

Question Druxey.  After you complete the other half how will you be able to attach the two and make them look whole?  Many years ago Dana McCalip, my mentor asked me to build two half hulls and then combine them and the end result did not look very good.

David B

Edited by dgbot

Beautiful planking druxey

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Thanks again, everyone, for looking in and your comments.

David B: I'm not sure what your question means. Which 'other half' are you referring to?

If you are building two half hulls then gluing them togther the tricky part would be connecting them.   Unless I am not following your build properly.

David B

Druxey built the plug in two sections, David, not the model itself. The actual ship was built, clinker style, over the plug.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Druxey built the plug in two sections, David, not the model itself. The actual ship was built, clinker style, over the plug.

My bad Greg now and then I sometimes miss the key words.

David B

Really wonderful, Druxey. In 100 years or so (and than I am very very old) I hope that I can also build my models so good. ;)

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Druxey I am curious about your method of gluing such delicate planks. The inside looks as clean as the outside, are you thining the glue down and then cleaning up with q tips etc?

The hull does look exquisite.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks, Michael. I use white PVA, slightly thinned, applied with a small watercolour brush. The outside is washed down with a damp brush immediately, and the inside is cleaned up afterwards with a dental elevator (looks like a bent mini-chisel). If there is a stubborn bit of glue, a drop of water on a brush does the trick. Should a little of the joint give way, I run more dilute glue into the crack and clamp it shut with one or more of those mini-clips. This rarely happens, as the bevelled land creates a tight joint.

Thanks, Michael. I use white PVA, slightly thinned, applied with a small watercolour brush. The outside is washed down with a damp brush immediately, and the inside is cleaned up afterwards with a dental elevator (looks like a bent mini-chisel). If there is a stubborn bit of glue, a drop of water on a brush does the trick. Should a little of the joint give way, I run more dilute glue into the crack and clamp it shut with one or more of those mini-clips. This rarely happens, as the bevelled land creates a tight joint.

Precise and clean glueing technique Druxey,  ;)

that`s one to remember, thanks for sharing

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Next is to cut stock a scale ¾" square. This is next to impossible without a zero-clearance table and a slitting saw blade. So I made an insert of aluminum sheet and raised the saw blade through this, as shown (upper left). Note that, on this saw, I have an Accuriser II fence. I attached a secondary scale measuring in inches at 1/48 scale. This avoids having to translate from thousandths of an inch (actual) to scale inches.

I cut several sheets of 1/64" Castello stock and rubber cemented them to a sacrificial piece of softwood. In this case it was simply a paint stir-stick (upper right). This was then run through the saw and the pieces separated and cleaned up, giving the 1/64" square section required for the frames (below).

post-635-0-60154400-1455768274_thumb.jpg

post-635-0-17372100-1455768276_thumb.jpg

post-635-0-78219900-1455768277_thumb.jpg

I never considered doing that to the Accuriser fence.  That is a great idea.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Druxey,

I don't know HOW I've missed seeing this build up until now - excellent work, as is to be expected from one of the real masters of this hobby :) . I'll be checking in more frequently now :D .

I've used the same techniques when building my last two ship's boats (Vulture's and Supply's), and also the Longboat in the Bottle I built recently, all with good success, but nowhere near to the accuracy and execution of yours.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Druxey, you are now pushing the bar very high indeed. I can see that I am going to need to sort out a small saw of some kind.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Started bending in the frames today. They are spaced at 18" intervals and, as previously mentioned, are ¾" square. In the real boat, there were floors and futtocks united by a side overlap. However, as this will be completely invisible in the finished boat, I will omit this detail.

As I have other work on hand, the next update will be a few days away.

post-635-0-30034300-1455828191_thumb.jpg

post-635-0-14063800-1455828193_thumb.jpg

Absolutely beautiful workmanship, I look forward to the next update.

Michael

That is looking so nice.  Very clean and precise.  Can you place a ruler along side for a better grasp at just how large this model is?

Thanks 

Chuck

Sorry, Chuck.  He lost his 2 inch ruler.

druxey, what is going on under the keelson?  Are there notches for the frames, do they pass under the keelson or do they butt into it?

Thank you, one and all. The frames butt to the keelson in the model, Joel. It might, in hindsight, have been easier to notch the keelson to locate the floor ends. I'll include a rule in the next batch of photos, Chuck.

Druxey,

Fascinating and beautiful.  Are the two clamps shown in the picture sufficient to hold the frames' shapes?  Are these bent "dry" or are you bending them with heat or another method?

Ed