druxey

Greenwich Hospital barge of 1832 by druxey - FINISHED - 1:48 scale

Druxey,

You make it seem like a walk in he park ... to be honest, I can't see why that particular batten should be rejected ... maybe it's my eyesight ...

Cheers

Well, the 48 batten pieces have been cut, shaped and installed, along with the six footboards.

Next will be the thwarts. They should be a simple job, but are complicated by the fact that the edges are moulded and need to be mitred to the longitudinal strip running down the mid-line of the boat. Also, six turned supporting pillars are needed to support the thwarts. Stay tuned.

post-635-0-61775000-1457804859_thumb.jpg

post-635-0-41729800-1457804862_thumb.jpg

I love all the details you're cramming into this little model. Makes me want to try something like this as well... Maybe I will allow myself a side project to get away from the planking I'm currently struggling with... But I shouldn't.

Remco

Thank you for your positive comments and encouragement, everyone.

Test made the joint required for the thwarts. A little tricky, but not impossible. The critical thing will be to have all the longitudinal pieces line up nicely!

post-635-0-14448900-1457831970_thumb.jpg

post-635-0-54770500-1457831971_thumb.jpg

Hello druxey,

I just want to mention how much I've been enjoying this build. I don't get a chance to check in as much as I like - when I get home from work, my daughter is usually hogging my iPad to play my little pony. I do look forward to the weekends when I can get a chance to check on your progress. It is amazing!!

Glenn

Turned some pillars for under the thwarts freehand with files. As there are only five to make, it was not worth the effort to make a contour pattern. The pillars will be almost invisible in the finished model anyway! The stock was 2" square.

Started cutting and fitting thwarts. The ensign staff step was also added under the wider thwart before the area became inaccessible. The thwart itself has now been drilled for the staff and installed (third photo).

post-635-0-13792100-1457904729_thumb.jpg

post-635-0-10967000-1457904732_thumb.jpg

post-635-0-15037500-1457904734_thumb.jpg

Thanks again for your encouragement, folks.

All the thwarts are now in, along with their longitudinal pieces. Once I figured out my strategy, this was easier to accomplish than I thought. After marking out and cutting recesses in the thwart, a small tongue was glued underneath. This prevents the longitudinal strip from falling through and allows it to sit flush to the thwart. The recesses are carefully marked and cut using a scalpel. The longitudinal is cut to length and the corners bevelled to 45 degrees using a fine sanding stick. I found that using a chisel here was difficult, as I could not cut the corners consistently.

Next are the two small platforms or decks forward of the first thwart. That will complete internal work at the fore end of the model.

post-635-0-62262500-1457973625_thumb.jpg

post-635-0-92726800-1457973627_thumb.jpg

Well, you'll all have to wait a bit yet. 

The forward deck/platforms are made and fitted. The same card template strategy was used as for the footwaling and aft platforms. There are a few more details on the thwarts to take care of: iron strap standards that attach them to the side. Then there are small corner benches to make and fit just forward of the coach (cabin).

post-635-0-24143400-1458004406_thumb.jpg

post-635-0-69935500-1458004408_thumb.jpg

Guy: it's an optical illusion, I think. 

Thanks again, everyone, for dropping in. There may not be another update for a week or two, as other more pressing work has to be completed first. Please check in again toward month's end.