what is the ship at the backdrop of the forum?

Eibwen

Wow, I missed that one!  It's barely visible on my screen and I'm using the default theme. Had to look hard to see it.  Clever, Chuck

I always thought it was HMS Cumberland 1774, since it has Posidon as the figurehead.

Scanned from the National Maritime Museum website.
 http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/80776.html

Erik

post-20029-0-22489300-1453736345_thumb.jpg

Sorry gentlemen,  it's definitely not Tremendous.  I have the as-built draught of her for my current project,  with the name written on her counter.  However,  I chose her after considering many others,  one of which was HMS Cumberland,  which is what the draught in the background is of.  The stern view of Cumberland also shows the name,  so there cannot be any doubt.

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Eibwen,

It's the 74 gun 1774 HMS Cumberland of the Elizabeth class.  Here is a link to an amazing model of her:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3338-hms-cumberland-by-alexbaranov-1774-136/?hl=cumberland

Erik

My bad...yes it was the Cumberland....its been a few years.  I was torn between the two and did go with Cumberland....and yes if anyone is wondering we do have permission to use it.....