HM Armed Vessel Bounty ex Bethia by Siegfried - 1784/1789 1:64

The paint work looks good, especially for such a confined space in which to work.

Russ

Thanks Russ, it is fiddly. AndIMG_6603.thumb.jpg.3dd75427e95f967273032c5ac3da430e.jpgIMG_6604.thumb.jpg.37a479342258b9ae839d3099c14f01bb.jpgIMG_6606.thumb.jpg.79d8483db7f4b6fd5c03b661919a0e7a.jpgIMG_6607.thumb.jpg.7b48990b63d9117f3bd18ba5f4034d6a.jpg I did 7-8 layers of thin paints to get a deep white result.

Daniel

Cheers,

Daniel

In dockyard: HM Colonial Schooner for Port Jackson (scratch), HM Armed Vessel Bounty, HM Cutter Sherbourne

Next builds: HMS Victor 1797 & Gannet 1814 Cruiser class sloops, ship and brig rigged (scratch)

Again a very nice result. Getting that nice clean line near the deck is especially good.

Russ

Hello,

Now I have to think how to do the stern windows. One or two of them I wanna show oppened because my general plan is to show the Bounty exactly in the moment of the mutiny. Therefore I have planned al little water diorama as display on which Bligh and his fellows sitting already in the boat and some of the mutineers throw out the breadfruit plants off the stern windows. This is why I actually model the great cabin.

The inspiration for this scene is inspired by a well known picture as seen below. In this picture two other facts are very interesting. There is no blue colour on the upper hull and the window has hinges on its upper edge and gets opened to pull it in.

Regarding the blue colour on the upper planking I found a thread here on MSW which depicts a (probably common) sentence of seaman who have seen the Bounty before she set sail;" this pinkish ship comes to no good end". Personally, I do interpret "pinkish" as with less paint work. Most of the models and the tall ship replicas follow the colour scheme known from the Endeavour. But that might be incorrect. The black colour as can be seen on the second picture might be an option but I wanna paint her less and decided to do my colour scheme as follows:

hull below the wales and above: natural with few coats of linseed oil

hull above the sheers: natural with linseed oil instead of blue

hull below the waterline: copper sheathed

wales: black

thick work above the wales: yellow ochre as known from the replicas ( but might be wrong and has to be black too)

lower sheer: yellow ochre

upper sheer/edge of the deck planking: black

stripe between the sheers: blue (or better red/black?)

stern windows: outside yellow ochre, inside white

ornamentations: yellow ochre

background of the fancy work: red ochre

stern around the windows: black

counter stripes: yellow ochre

stern above the counter: I HAVE NO IDEA YET :-( (black or natural)

handrail: black

timber heads: black or natural

great cabin: white

quickwork above the main deck and colour inside: red ochre

deck fittings: depending on my personal mood when I build them, but the gratings will definitely left natural, wood of the companionway might be black, the rest might be painted in red ochre (as common at this time on war ships) or I too let it natural

Regarding the windows; all model ships I have seen to this day has been presented with closed windows. Does someone know what was common practice to open the windows for catching fresh air?  Has someone any recommendations regarding the planned colour scheme?

Thanks in advance, Daniel

330181.jpg.7022c4bbcc033c2a075b0d5a5df0ab4a.jpg

bounty.jpg.dae56956bfe9107ea3da5e851c6c337e.jpg

Cheers,

Daniel

In dockyard: HM Colonial Schooner for Port Jackson (scratch), HM Armed Vessel Bounty, HM Cutter Sherbourne

Next builds: HMS Victor 1797 & Gannet 1814 Cruiser class sloops, ship and brig rigged (scratch)

Nice white cabin interior Daniel,

also the lockers look great

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks Nils, it will be not seen so much when the garden is fully assembled. And now I am starting to work on the garden tables and have cut the air scuttles.

DanielIMG_6722.thumb.jpg.239fcbda87fc9eaa7e8211ff48438036.jpgIMG_6723.thumb.jpg.437d174adca406f7de684f61870d7a66.jpgIMG_6724.thumb.jpg.5eda2a82ba22ca5f5ee35f3994aafae7.jpgIMG_6725.thumb.jpg.395aa3bffc5fa22fb315d03745fac4e0.jpgIMG_6733.thumb.jpg.d01fe3a56f2b1dd15128dc456de443f0.jpgIMG_6734.thumb.jpg.25a86ff21055a6718c28eeddee2e587a.jpgIMG_6735.thumb.jpg.b1a1af2a9872f3df34a1d4a2a2b7640b.jpg

Cheers,

Daniel

• 3 years later...

Hey Druxey,

Yes, it is now again, the last two years have been very moving, two relocations and my music career was in focus to record some EPs, an album and making some vids, now it's time to calm down and move on with some wood work.

Best, Daniel

Edited by Siegfried

Cheers,

Daniel

Hey Shipman,

Thank you for the hint. McKay hasn't mentioned something like this in his book. Was this a usual practice? I went to Greenwich and Portsmouth to see the Cutty Sark and the HMS Victory several times but haven't realised that detail.

Would be interesting to show it in a future project.

Best, Daniel

Cheers,

Daniel

Great to hear you're back, Daniel. What's your music career - playing, singing, orchestral, band, sessions, or all of the previous? Is the album on Spotify? With a tab like Siegfried, you haven't sung that role, have you? Though that would be hard to get on an EP, I admit.

Tony

On 12/28/2020 at 9:07 PM, tkay11 said:

Great to hear you're back, Daniel. What's your music career - playing, singing, orchestral, band, sessions, or all of the previous? Is the album on Spotify? With a tab like Siegfried, you haven't sung that role, have you? Though that would be hard to get on an EP, I admit.

Tony

Hey Tony,

Thank you. And you're right, "Siegfried" wouldn't be a perfect band name, hahaha. If you like, you can check it out on Spotify or on YouTube. The music project is called "The Brute :" I already have released 5 vids. It's a blend of electronic music and rock in the style of the 90's. Next Double-Single/EP is to come in early '21 followed by the debut album probably in the End of March and flanked with a kind of short Music film of approx 15min. Last, we made a kind of James Bond Road Movie on original sets of "Goldfinger" up in the Swiss Alpes with kind support of the Swiss army. They have let us filmed the last scene in one of their mountain castles as the villain's HQs. While thinking of new songs now I need some time to calm down and to focus on my three vessels.

Cheers, Daniel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsRJfzv5nAxBLqAc3XnsBTQ

Cheers,

Daniel

Very nice too. Thanks for the info and link! Now for the builds!

Tony

On 12/28/2020 at 2:56 PM, Siegfried said:

McKay hasn't mentioned something like this in his book.

If we are talking about McKay's Anatomy of The Ship book, actually on page 9 under the heading of Refit, it says:

" ...The deck was covered with lead , and at the foremost corners of the cabin were fixed pipes tocarry off the water that had drained from the plants into tubs placed below to save it for future use. "

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

14 hours ago, Gregory said:

If we are talking about McKay's Anatomy of The Ship book, actually on page 9 under the heading of Refit, it says:

Hey Gregory, yes, I meant McKay's AotS,

hhmmm, I assume the tubs are installed on the deck below, as the pipes wouldn't be visible due to the fact that the plant tables stand over them in the end, generally, once the main deck is installed all those details are only visible if one is looking through the tiny windows, I do assume not much details will be visible anymore

however, what does it mean when he says the deck was covered with lead? was the whole deck covered with a kind of lead tile and looked accordingly silver-grey, how was the pattern? some kind of check patterns as the common black and white check pattern of master's cabins on ship of war made by canvas?

has anyone an example or a picture about it, for now I am able to make some changes, even if it means, the work on the deck planking of the cabin was worthless, 

Cheers,

Daniel

I doubt there are any pictures available.  This was a pretty unique situation for a ship but making sense considering the Bounty's mission.

I assume it was similar to copper sheathing but without the nails.  Some kind of tiles that were hammered out thin and overlapped at the seams..

Lead was cast in thin sheets and used for water proofing in a lot of situations back then.

I doubt that the appearance would be smooth at full scale, but at modeling scales, a lead colored paint would be a good representation.

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

• 4 weeks later...

Hello out there,

After many years it's time to re-start my builds on the Mercury Schooner and on the Bounty. I moved twice and first had to gather all my tools. After being ready today I realised a major issue on both Bounty and Mercury. Several years ago I treated the surface of the pear with several coatings of linseed oil but no final coating with a kind of lack. As you can see on the pic the beautiful golden brown shine of the surface is gone at it looks dull and a ted blotchy.

Is there any trick to preserve the wonderful shine of the wood after being treated with linseed oil? Al hints and advises are very welcome.

Best, Daniel

IMG_5937.jpg

Cheers,

Daniel

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/18/2021 at 7:38 PM, AdamA said:

Where did you get your plans for the Bounty?

Hey, The plans are take from John McKay's book "Anatomy of a Ship Bounty es Bethia" In addition I'm using a copy of the original plans from the NMM. Cheers, Daniel

Cheers,

Daniel

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Daniel,

I'm just in awe of your attention to detail with your Bounty and the dedication to the craft to rip the planking off and start from scratch, I got upset about a few copper plates!  I too have the John McKay book and have spotted some differences, but i don't have the skill or inclination to fix many of them, I'm content this time to build almost out of the box and the fact my Bounty is a bit "fat/wide" I will just have to live with (like my expanding waistline during Covid-19 lockdown! 😆)

Going to follow your build with interest!  👍

Edited by AJohnson