Greek Trireme by seaniem1971 - Daniel Dusek - Scale 1:72 - 480 B.C.

Hello Sean,

I read you log, it is nice build. I would like to explain you some thinks in the kit and give you some recommendation for help to build the model as you wrote that not everythink is clear in the instructions.

1) For glueing of the veneer deck is good to use some dense white glue (I use for example Bison which I bought in DIY shop which seems to be good or it is possible to use cyanoacrylate glue but in that case there is no second chance. Using of very thin white glue lead to deformation of the venner as you wrote).

2) In the kit is packed 0,5mm rigging rope, so it is 36mm thick rope in 1/72 scale which is maybe little more than in real ancient ships was used.

3) Also the sail cloth is thick because the most modellers and me too prefer them.

4) Also the dowels 2-4mm are exact dimension which I used for prototype model.

5) I am little confused that the plans are not fit to the parts, I need to check it next week where is the problem and then I will let you know.

6) about the planking the hull- I would like to really recommend you to buy electric plank bender especially if you plan to do more wooden ship models in future. You will see that the work with electric bender  is much more easy (or it is possible to use alternatively electric solder or someone use iron). But if you have not it you should put the strips into the water for more time (let them in water approximatelly for 2 hours as it is hard wood it have to absorb the water for longer time, than you can boiled them). The final radius of bending you should do in more steps. I recommend you to start planking with one strip on stern, than glue it gradually to the frames in direction from stern to bow. Then start the glueing the second strip from bow and glue it to the frames in direction from bow to stern. 

Let me know please if it help you. I can prepare also some additional pictures if the instructions will be not enought clear for you.

I hope the building will follow well in future.

Daniel 

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for the suggestions and the explanations. I will possibly buy an electric plank bender, I know that you recommend this in the instructions. I certainly take your points on the materials and the cloth specifications. 

In relation to the drawings and the scale - maybe this is only for this part but the lower deck do not line up with the drawing Plan 1. This was noticeable to me as I was using the drawing to gauge distances between the seats. I attached a picture of the exact area of mismatch in my update. Also see below. I haven't proceeded in any other area where I have been using the drawings at this stage with the exception of the keel fitting onto the false keel. These pieces fitted together perfectly and I commented on this in my post.

post-11161-0-96341300-1454858256_thumb.jpg

Thanks Sean

Hi Sean.

Wow fast progress with this kit.

"The first obvious challenge is that the length of the planking strips 2x2 for the first 6 rows and then 2x3 for the remainder are not long enough to run from bow to stern. So the first decision is where to join the strips........Mmmmmmm ..... pretty disappointing."

Yes I think there should be some mention of this in the instructions..

Make the joints on a bulkhead near the end of the plank length then the next one at the other end of the boat on a bulkhead.

If the boat is planked inside you can add extra timber on the side of the bulkhead where the join is. But your bulkheads look quite thick so you might not need to add the extra timber.

And yes steaming the strips before fitting and leting then dry is the best method.

I use elastic bands for holding the more difficult strips in place.

Regards Antony.

Super stuff Antony. Just the advice I needed on the joints.......believe it or not I never thought of elastic bands - Doh. I'm putting down the stupidity to beginners exuberance.......

Hi, As I have completed this model and the Godstack 1:35 by Daniel I find that if you have A PROBLEM with the plans or instructions if you email Daniel he will answer your questions even with pictures and diagrams, IT IS A GREAT SERVICE, will by more kits from him waiting for his dutch stanjacht to come out and his hansatic cog. Hope this helps Don

Thanks Don. It was very good of Daniel to respond to the comments and difficulties that I was having. As I said in previous post many or all of these may be due to my inexperience. I will be sure to avail of the service you mention if I require it. As I said happy enough with the kit with the exception of the decking veneer which is just a personal preference. Would also have liked the planking strips to have fitted bow to stern but it's maybe more authentic in its current form in this regard. The actual full size replica which has photos posted on a couple of the build logs also does not have this. Look forward to seeing more models and would absolutely prefer to support a smaller family run business than the larger more established ones......that's why I went with this model over the Amati one. I'm hoping my comments aren't taken as being in any way critical - I'm just relaying my experience while building this kit. Great respect for people like Daniel who deliver products for niche markets and follow that up with a personal touch such as his communication with me earlier.

Hi Sean,

I take your comments as good feed back so do not worry with the comments ;). I check the printed plans and they are really little smaller (about the 2mm I measured on the A2 plan and about 1,5mm on the A1 plans). I am not sure but I think the difference is because the plans was printed with some margins. I need to find out where the problem was created (if on my side on side of my supplier). I will make during this or next week plan with corrected 1:1 details and then I will send you it.

Daniel

Hi Daniel

Thank you for the support and indeed the honest and open communication. I actually think I will be able to get through without replacement plans but if I do require them i will contact you for that. Very much appreciate the offer though.

Warm Regards

Sean 

Sean

given the type of frames you have, I suggest you this high-tech tool that I built for my model:

post-849-0-34383800-1454941478.jpg

just cut away the area shown by red lines, using a grinding disk in your Dremel. Position the plank in the gap you cut out and clamp to the bulkhead.

There are various sizes of clamps, just chose the most suitable for your frames. Some are really strong and keep hard spring-back push, but of course it is better you pre-bend the planks before gluing.

Cheers

Fam

Joint building:

Brick de 24, 1/48, jointly with Jack Aubrey (POB from Ancre plans)

Works in progress:

USS Constitution Cross Section, 1:93 (POF bashed from Mamoli kit)

Completed models:

Santìsima Trinidad, 1/90 (POB heavily modified DeAgostini kit)

Genoan Pinco, 1/50 (POB bashed from Euromodel plans - my current avatar)

Viking Knarr, 1/72 (POF from Dusek kit)

Sean

given the type of frames you have, I suggest you this high-tech tool that I built for my model:

attachicon.gif$T2eC16VHJIQE9qUHtHWHBQDqJJUD)!~~60_35.JPG

just cut away the area shown by red lines, using a grinding disk in your Dremel. Position the plank in the gap you cut out and clamp to the bulkhead.

There are various sizes of clamps, just chose the most suitable for your frames. Some are really strong and keep hard spring-back push, but of course it is better you pre-bend the planks before gluing.

Cheers

Fam

Wow - thanks Fam that's really smart.. I'm gonna go that now. I think the ones that I have should be the right size. 

Many Thanks

Sean

Edited by seaniem1971

OMG. Just typed out a mini update and mistakenly deleted..... :angry:  :angry: so for the 2nd time see below......

Ok this is only a mini-update as I think I have gone as far as I can on the planking without a few new tools to help me. Many thanks to all who have offered advice and solutions to some of the problems that I was having and indeed to Daniel Dusek for his email, offer and help. To move my project along and to get a bit more productive I have purchased the following:

1. Electric Plank Bender: have been using a domestic steam iron here and it has been fine for making basic curves and bends but just won’t work for the more acute bends as described below.  Also have used a hand crimping bender but these leave unsightly marks and indentations on the planks which are not suitable for the top planks in particular.

2. Hand Guillotine and mini mitre box : Having difficulty getting square and consistent lengths for the seats. I am razor sawing these which are 4 x 5mm and am using a standard mitre box meaning the razor saw slips around in the slots as they are far too wide.

3. Some clamps: assortment of various clamps. Using Fams’ idea on the clips combined with elastic bands suggestion from Antony. Thank you both.

Anyway on with the update:

Firstly I have filed down the relevant frames and bulwarks along the proposed planking lines both Bow and Stern. This is straightforward towards the bow but gets more complicated at the stern where there are a series of supports either side of the tail like keel to flesh out and align with the decking at the stern of the ship. I have reduced these by a combination of grinding with my dremel and final shaping by hand filing. 

post-11161-0-78883100-1454944675_thumb.jpg

post-11161-0-52798200-1454944707_thumb.jpg

post-11161-0-18902800-1454944734_thumb.jpg

Not exactly sure of the correct profile here but have followed the general shape as per the side elevation and plan views from drawings 'Plan 1' & ' Plan2'. 

post-11161-0-65774100-1454944920_thumb.jpg

post-11161-0-65548700-1454945062_thumb.jpg

post-11161-0-70726400-1454945236_thumb.jpg

post-11161-0-99782300-1454945245_thumb.jpg

Anyway this is what I have gone with for the stern.

post-11161-0-86398200-1454945373_thumb.jpg

post-11161-0-13895200-1454945471_thumb.jpg

post-11161-0-21802500-1454945484_thumb.jpg

How the planks line up not fully sure yet as haven't been able to bend the strips at this angle so far. Waiting on the electric bender to do this. This is how it looks at the top. Might have reduced a little too far.......mmmmm  :(  :(

post-11161-0-83339000-1454945446_thumb.jpg

Next I have heated and curved the first two 2 x2 mm strips for both sides of the bow. I have taken Antonys advice and nominated a frame to join the strips at stern and bow ends given that they are 4mm in thickness giving ample width to get a fixing for each strip. I have only fixed two strips both from the bow side and will join from the last frame at the stern end. I am then taking on board Daniels advice and running a strip then from stern to bow but then have to bend and shape those strips when the electric bender arrives. So the photos below show where I'm at waiting for the equipment to arrive to continue with the planking.

post-11161-0-29039800-1454946324_thumb.jpg

post-11161-0-67794600-1454946217_thumb.jpg

post-11161-0-64065400-1454946270_thumb.jpg

post-11161-0-01534300-1454946296_thumb.jpg

That's it for now folks. Might start one of the other 'modules' while I'm waiting for my new toys but I'll  wait to publish this so that the log reads progressively and evolves in line with the instructions. Thanks again for your help. 

Talk Soon

Sean

I look forward to seeing what you can do with that plank bender ;)!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)