La Couronne by EJ_L - FINISHED - Corel - 1:100 - 1637 Version

E J

Coming along great. Keep going I love looking at your work., Inspirational

Regards

Awesome milestone EJ! Just imagine crawling out to the end of that yard without foot ropes in a gale! 

Anton T

Current build

1/78 Sovereign of the Seas - Sergal - kit bashed

1/72 Arleigh Burke class DDG flight iia/iii - Sratch built RC - no log

Waiting for further inspiration

STS Leeuwin II 1/56 scratch built (90% completed)

Previous builds - completed

1/72 HMAS Brisbane, Airwarfare Destroyer 2014 -Scratch built RC - completed

1/64 HMS Diana 1796 - caldercraft kit - completed

1/75 Friesland 1668- mamoli kit - completed

1/96 HMAS Newcastle FFG 2011- scratch built RC - completed

1/75 Vasa - Billing Boats - completed

I'm back with a partial update! I have not been idle on the build just slow this past week and weekend. I did get a lot done in that I stained my deck and my dog plus grilled up a lot of food for the admiral and myself, had a few drinks and spent a nice evening on the deck with the admiral and a bottle of wine. :D

18740056_1521418891236188_4103943436548641027_n.thumb.jpg.fe518b72aa13de7c31a8aa4bb7ac854c.jpg

18699941_1521418894569521_2927437432381529832_n.thumb.jpg.3d97b1a797cf3cc2842e5b87c3da77a7.jpg

Now back to work! So, I have been working on the main top gallant yard crows foot rigging and am no longer clear if I am building a model ship or training to be some type of crazy surgeon but I do know that I need to either grow more hands or buy more clamps! :P While I do not have pictures of everything yet, I did get all three main yards in place with the course and main top rigged. Top gallant yard is bent to the mast and now it is a matter of getting the crows foot in place. A few more nights of working and I should have it. I will add more pictures then but I figured a small update is better than none. Enjoy!

13.thumb.jpg.ea8a6383868537ffdeb17997e7a8e824.jpg

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

EJ,

Nice update on your rigging work. As you know I am presently "treading water" trying to get mine right. I am seeing a lot of these types of bits on my Corel rigging sheet. See your photo just below.

I expect that you made these?  Just three drilled holes and run the lines thought - nothing more nothing less? 

Also it looks as if fiddle blocks can also be used. Is it correct to run two ropes through - one above the pulley and one below? These details are a bit confusing to me. I installed double and triple blocks trying to accomplish the same thing - but removed them. I'm sure that I was totally wrong.

Your advice will  be much appreciated.

PS: Deck IS also looking v. good.

Regards,DSC_0251.JPG.49157514635080ae4f6c9836e37ef481.thumb.JPG.7ff5ccd7f6ee89f3c8798d76d4ed20a1.JPG

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Thank you Michael on the kind words and to the likes as well.

The Euphroe blocks that you pointed out are just as you suspect, custom but simply made. Scrap wood, drill the required number of holes stacked on top each other the then I trim and sane the block to size and shape. Basically, it is just an oval with a row of holes.

Where is used the fiddle style blocks on the crows feet, I cannot say for certain if this is correct. My drawing was not very clear on this either but as to function, it works fine as it is still one hole on top of another. I first thought of using double and triple blocks as you have said as the way Corel draws their rigging, it looks like all the ropes pass through the same plane as they would in a double or triple block. This is incorrect. The proper rigging uses Euphroe blocks as described above.

My recommendation would be to stick with the Euphroes. In fact, my entire forestay rig I fear may be incorrect. Right now I have the stay stropped to a double block and the crows feet splitting there. I am starting to see that this may be wrong and that the stay may have been two separate ropes leading to the crows feet and then to the shrouds. I do not yet know if this is true for La Couronne or not so I do not think I will change that unless I get confirmation.

Let me know if you have any more questions. The 17th century rigging is definitely a challenge to interpret what should and should not be there. :D 

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

EJ,

Thanks indeed. Good info - thanks for your help, and they now (for me) even have a name. 

Cheers,

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Well, I just surprised myself and finished up my crows foot rigging a day earlier and it even looks good! :P

With that, all the main mast yards are in place and I am ready to move on to the mizzen mast. Partly because I am still in the mood to rig and partly because I am not in the mood to start sanding on S.R., I am going to go ahead and push on with La Couronne. So that means more pictures and entertainment for all of you! For now, here are the current pics.

Michael, I did include a close up of the Euphroe blocks. Hopefully that clears that up a little more. I had to use the camera on my phone as both batteries on my good camera are apparently dead... :default_wallbash: so focusing in on the close ups was difficult but I think you can see enough. I can always upload better if needed once the batteries charge. 

14.thumb.jpg.bd7f9ef81c36b2df90416185e6e82d05.jpg

15.jpg.2505cbd9dfd885c9fbe24411bb39be11.jpg

16.thumb.jpg.dd5b93d75789458fb174fa91917b3c76.jpg

18.thumb.jpg.8b9a60194c0b2f383b3f44adb0dbd829.jpg

17.thumb.jpg.cb53cdda7e17fe64d4be4df29ba7027d.jpg

19.thumb.jpg.2d0a38a4dcb48a4821082ea46a8ef93c.jpg

20.thumb.jpg.b4709b76defaf2df0c1ca700c5dd9179.jpg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

nicely done EJ...........yea.......I'd go for the lesser of two evils too ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Busy week in the shipyard as all three of the mizzen yards have been rigged! The actual rigging for these yards was simpler than the other masts but threading the ropes through all the lines from the main mast yards and behind the lower main shrouds was a pain. I've also started to add in the rope coils but I still have a lot of those to make for all the rigging ends. Now I just have the two yards on the bowsprit but those will have to wait till after I work on S.R. for a bit. I need a break now from rigging! :D

As always, thanks for stopping in and enjoy!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

now I see where they came out with the phrase "oh what a web we weave" ;)   looks great EJ!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Haha!! My dad was over last night looking at it and he asked if I had taken weaving lessons from a spider to do that work! A web is about as accurate of a description as could be given for some of this. :D

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

EJ,

Very nice. I'm just in the middle of standing rigging so understand the intensity that this part of a build creates (you are a veteran - not me (:-) ) 

Looking really good indeed. 

PS: I remember seeing a Nat Geo doc. where they gave a spider LSD and then photographed her web building - always stuck with me ha ha

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

E J,

Just beautiful in every way.

Regards

Guest Riccardo1966

Hello EJ,

I have looked in on your build a few times and have to compliment you on a very fine build.

Regards Richard

Thank you all for the nice words and likes.

I thought I would take a few more overall pictures to add on here and for my own records before she goes under the plastic while I work on S.R. I moved her to the dining room also so there would be less random stuff in the background that makes it harder to see her rigging. Also I needed a drink and that table is next to the bar so...  :cheers:

21.JPG

22.JPG

23.JPG

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Very impressive EJ, you are doing a great job

Congratulations, an inspiring build

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600 

• 2 weeks later...

home stretch my friend!   she's looking great! ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thank you everyone for the compliments and likes. The end is getting closer all the time and the next push on rigging will bring it even closer. Only a few major items remain, bowsprit yards, braces, anchors and stern lanterns. Some other minor things and maybe some rework depending on how I feel and she will be complete! By far my biggest build to date so I am rather excited to see the finished ship. :D

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

• 2 weeks later...

I've returned to La Couronne's ship yard and work has progressed nicely with the rigging of the spritsail topmast yard. I also finished the last crows foot and am ready to rig the spritsail yard next. That will be the last yard to go on the build! I'm fairly certain that unless something derails the plans, I am on the final push to the end of this build and am planning on staying on this one with out breaks till she is done. That means lots of updates for you all to enjoy! I still have several things to do but the end is close at hand and I am ready to reach it. Exciting times ahead! For now, here are the latest updates. :D

27.thumb.jpg.f14d3d2915f24f50ae56ef0e30bceab3.jpg

26.thumb.jpg.d4c07139178b76de75f70e4c5a2111d6.jpg

24.thumb.jpg.8384fdbb5942b76f7d5b724513889bb5.jpg

25.thumb.jpg.9f81b8870d9968f5251b91e064c95dd7.jpg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

very nice rigging..........so close to the big finish ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks everyone for the nice words and the likes! 

The major components left for the rigging other than that last yard are just the braces. While there are a lot of them to do, they are relatively easy to rig compared to what has been done already. Other items are the anchors and stern lanterns and I will also add all the rope coils at the belaying pins and on the deck where needed. May be a few other things I'm not thinking of but those are the main things to do. 

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart