La Couronne by EJ_L - FINISHED - Corel - 1:100 - 1637 Version

Very nicely done. Congratulations on a fine completed model.

Russ

Thank you to everyone for all the nice compliments and the likes! This has truly been a great build for me in it being both my largest and most complicated to date, (soon to be passed by Soleil Royal) and most importantly, the first to have been started and completed on this site. Like most of us I have been building models for a very long time but to be apart of such a great community to learn, grow and share with, has made it all the better. All of the encouragement, tips and just knowing that there are people who are interested in what is being built enriches the model to a point where it is not just a model, it has become a journey that plays out in these logs like a story for everyone to read and enjoy.

I am currently working on the rope coils and hope to have them done either tonight or tomorrow. Once they are all in place, I am hoping to take her outside where I can use the natural light to take some finished photos. Those pictures will be the last of the build updates on here.

Koen, please do use what you can to help your build! Let me know if you need any pictures or information and if I can, I will gladly help you out. Also, let me know when you get a log started as I would love to see another Couronne come together. :)

Don, thanks for the tip to clear the cache. Worked like a charm and I'm posting away again from my home computer.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Rope cool process is fairly simple. I took a scrap piece of wood and drilled a couple rows of holes on two sides. Snipped a few toothpicks in have and inserted them into the holes and then I simply wrap the ropes around the toothpicks and glue them in place. Once glued I pull the toothpick out of the holes and free the rope coil. The coil is then placed over the line that is tied off to a bollard and done. Fairly fast and easy. 

IMG_2212.JPG

IMG_2213.JPG

IMG_2214.JPG

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

I've been using very small amounts of CA also. It can come out shiny but not always. I like the CA for the quickness in drying but, I'm always open to better suggestions. I am probably going to start buying small amounts of various glues to start testing them to see which ones I prefer and for what material/uses. 

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

I like watered down white glue for gluing rope, cloth etc. and I use it extensively on my model railroad scenery but, for rigging I like to have that instant hold CA provides a lot of times. Using the tip of a pin I can usually apply just a tiny amount that does not make the rope as shiny. I say sometimes as we all know how quickly CA glue can get out of control, especially thin CA and get where you didn't want it to go. 

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

E J,

I have thoroughly enjoyed your build. I have always thought the La Couronne was the most beautiful ship of that era, and, your model just reinforces this.  I can't believe you finished in less than 1000 hours. This is truly a job well done!!!

Regards

17 months, 910 construction hours and no idea how many more spent reading and researching and this build is complete!

The wind is actually nice and calm today, (something must be getting ready to go wrong...) and so I took La Couronne on her maiden voyage out of the shipyard and into the open sea (front yard) :D  She sailed great with no mishaps or sinking and has completed her voyage and returned to the ship yard for supplies before going into active duty. Here are some pictures of her on her voyage.

DSC_0044.JPG

DSC_0041.JPG

DSC_0043.JPG

DSC_0053.JPG

DSC_0047.JPG

DSC_0048.JPG

DSC_0051.JPG

DSC_0052.JPG

DSC_0054.JPG

DSC_0056.JPG

DSC_0058.JPG

DSC_0060.JPG

DSC_0061.JPG

DSC_0062.JPG

DSC_0063.JPG

DSC_0064.JPG

DSC_0065.JPG

DSC_0066.JPG

DSC_0067.JPG

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

And now it is time for the victory toast! :cheers:

IMG_2217.JPG

Thanks again to to everyone for the compliments, tips, help and simply following along! See you all over on Soleil Royal and/or the next build! 

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Congratulations, E.J.   Beautifully done. I hope you'll post a pic or two when she's in her new home.  I'm hoping your doing a case.....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I am going to be putting her in a case and will post a picture once she is there though it may be a little while. My plan is to build it myself as it will be part of a larger curio cabinet that will also house the Admiral's collection of Disney statues and snow globes. That was our deal in order for me to be allowed to display it in the living room was that she had to have a way to display her collectables as well. I figured that was a fair trade, now I just need to get the rest of the lumber and glass to do it!

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Absolutely a beautiful build EJ, congratulations. A victory drink was very much deserved. Well Done!! 

Wow,

You have done something to be proud off!!

A beauty and thanks for taking me by the hand into this whole build log with a great end!

Chapeau !!!

Sjors

• 3 weeks later...

hey.....what happened to the like-dislike options?....all the past ones have been wiped out and replaced with a fancy cup......was so nice to see who visited...nicest part of this forum, where someone can express like without having to write lines of adulations........did someone make a horrific complaint?

Edited by yancovitch

I think when they did the last update to the site it cleared the old likes off of all the threads. The fancy cup is the new like button. Took me a minute to figure that out too. Works just like the old button just a new symbol.    

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

What I'm led to believe is that you didn't loose the "like" count, just the indication that someone liked it.  It appears to be working as it should but the "likes" on posts before this last update disappeared.  In other works, the icon and names went but the number of likes didn't disappear.  You can check this by looking at your "reputation".

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I suppose they did this to de-clutter the page.  I'm not a fan of the change, though.  While it's true that you can still see your likes and from whom, it isn't always clear what a person is "liking."  You can extrapolate that they are responding to your recent posts, but they may be responding to any given post throughout the thread.

What I liked about the old format was that, even if someone wasn't commenting, you could see at a glance who else was viewing the thread.

Edited by Hubac'sHistorian

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

You can, but just not within the post.  Or, at least, that's what appears to me when I visit other build logs, as well as my own.  The like button activates, when you press it, to indicate that you have liked the post, but you can't see who else did, particularly while in someone else's build log.

In the past, I might browse through logs and eventually follow them when I see that those logs are attracting modelers whom I admire, or with whom I share modeling interests.  To me, it was sort of like the way Pandora finds music for you; "if you like this, then try this..."

We are all works in progress, all of the time.