La Couronne by EJ_L - FINISHED - Corel - 1:100 - 1637 Version

I managed to get it downloaded. Thanks for that link! Now I just have to learn to read Italian but that I can manage. :P There are some nice details and pictures that I did not have. It still amazes me how much difference there can be between the different kits.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Gun port lids on the starboard side and stern are now complete! Honestly they were not the most tedious pieces I have built but for some reason they just felt like they were taking forever to build. I think mostly cause I have been wanting to get started on the ship's launch and I had to keep telling myself to push through them and get them done. I usually hit this point at some step along the way and I guess on this ship this was that step.

Anyway, I also built the ladder up to the entry balcony so that item is now complete.

Now it is time to build the launch. This is also the last major on board item to be built. After it is done the remaining deck items are all related to the rigging, bits, pin rails, kevels, etc. A lot of these I have been holding off on building until I start getting into building the masts and planning the rigging. As that will be a whole other endeavor in research and guessing it almost feels like I will be starting a new build soon.  :P

For now, enjoy the latest pictures!

I have noticed after looking at the pictures that I need to raise the stern lids. Those crews must have gotten into the rum a little too much. :cheers:

post-22933-0-54933700-1474511890_thumb.jpg

post-22933-0-79174300-1474511904_thumb.jpg

post-22933-0-72223800-1474511912_thumb.jpg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Hey E.J., I was just reading the Philip Reed book "Building a Miniature Navy Board Model," and his model of the Royal George had an entry balcony very similar to the one you added to your build.  I instantly thought of your Couronne when I saw it.

Very nice job by the way.  It's coming along really nicely!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks for stopping by and the compliments Mike and Bob and to all the likes also.

Well it is good to know I'm not hallucinating features onto the ship! :P I may have to pick up that book and take a look. It is on my wish list, may have to bump up closer to the top.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

It's very good - I picked it up as well as earlier books as used books for not too much money.  That particular book is in full color, which therefore was a lot more helpful than the earlier B&W books.  He uses a lot of interesting techniques and materials at a smaller scale, but I think they can carry forward to larger scales that most of us mere mortals model at.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I was asked to show how I make my eye bolts out of jewelry wire so I took a few pictures and I hope this helps.

First off I bought different size diameter black coated wire. This eliminates having to blacken the brass eye bolts that typically come with a kit. As you can see from the label and price sticker I got it at Hobby Lobby for about $3.50. This is for a 30 foot roll so I will have plenty to work with for a few builds.

Next use a pair of pliers to bend the wire. If you have a pair with jaws that are completely round such as the ones in the picture those work best. If not any pair or needle nose pliers will work you will just have to round out the flat edge the gets created from the inside face of the jaws.

The first way I will show you creates an eye bolt that is more realistically shaped but does not hold up well to tension. To make this simply wrap the wire around the jaw till the looped end touches back to the shaft. Then snip off the shaft to the desired length.  

That is it for the first one. The next one I will show is equally simple but less realistic though far stronger. For this eye bolt, grip the wire at a mid point. I am over exaggerating how much wire you need to use for the purpose of these picture. These eye bolts can be made with about an inch or less of wire.

Next bend both ends of the wire around the jaw so the the ends cross over each other.

Twist the ends together to form a solid shaft. This can be made to whatever length you need.

Finally snip off the extra wire and there you have it.

Using this method the eye bolts can be made with any diameter eye needed or shaft length. With the wide variety of diameter wire also available you should be able to find something for whatever scale you are building in.

I apologize that the pictures are not with their descriptions. I was having trouble getting the pictures to go through.

post-22933-0-38776900-1474933031_thumb.jpg

post-22933-0-14926800-1474933046_thumb.jpg

post-22933-0-24344200-1474933058_thumb.jpg

post-22933-0-02532800-1474933072_thumb.jpg

post-22933-0-01093400-1474933084_thumb.jpg

post-22933-0-40828400-1474933099_thumb.jpg

post-22933-0-16120900-1474933111_thumb.jpg

post-22933-0-63233200-1474933120_thumb.jpg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Just when I started to wonder about how to make nice eye bolts...I stumble upon the answer!

Now I see your workspace mess...I feel a lot better about mine  :P

Thanks for the explanation!

Robin :)

WIP: No ships atm...sorry!🙄

Completed: Greek bireme - Dusek - scale 1:72

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

Your build is looking good,nice work on gunport lids. Eyebolt method is defiantly a keeper.

Yeah I just noticed that those are probably the messiest table pictures I have taken in a while. I usually try to tidy things up for photos. That way the pictures look nice and it helps keep up with the mess but since these were spur of the moment ones you can now see how I truly work. Lol :P

The plus side to all that mess is that I must have been getting a lot of work done on something!

Edited by EJ_L

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

EJ  your build is really nice .... the stern shot is a winner!! (as is the rest of the build)

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Thank you Frank for the kind words. They are always appreciated.

I am hoping to have some pictures of the launch up soon. Almost done building her just need to add a few details then lash her into place.

Bob, I know what you mean. I'm constsantly trying to find ways to stay organized and keep the work top in a semi clean state but no matter what I do it always ends up with piles of wood scraps and tools scattered everywhere. Racks, shelves and drawers are nice but right in front of me is apparently where I want everything! :P

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Amen Yancovitch!

E.J.- I also use your #2 method. I had trouble keeping the eyes the same using the rounded pliers so I switched to wrapping the wire around a drill bit of the diameter I wanted; grabbed the 2 ends of the wire in my right hand and rotated the drill bit with my left hand. Works like a charm. Either way, these are probable the strongest eyebolts you will ever need.

I make 20 of these a day to warm up my fingers for the days work.

Regards

Edited by ca.shipwright

Slowly but steadily I have been getting more done on her. Getting things ready for the move to the new house has been taking up a lot of my free time plus work decided to pick up again so longer days and being tired more has also slowed things down. Still, progress has been made with the installation of the ship's launch. I ended up using the preformed launch, though modified of course, instead of scratch building one. I had every intention of scratch building it and even have the keel and all the frames drawn out on a sheet of wood ready to be cut out but then I realized that my scroll saw is completely buried in my wood shop which has now been mostly packed up and is now doing duty as a box storage facility while I pack the house up. So, that one will have to be put on hold for a while till the new shop is set up. Not wanting to wait I turned to the backup plan and now a temporary launch is in place and I can move on. 

I also realized that I had forgotten to cut out the mail ports on the lower hull so I cut those in and installed the lids. I had always meant to add them in later and as I was looking at the plans on the wall this morning I new something was off and after about 10 minutes of scratching my head I figured it out. Guess I need to get stronger coffee in the morning. :P

Took some time today too to clean up the table. Now that every thing is swept up and put away I am ready to begin making the next mess. Channels are up next as well as the bits, kevels and pin rails.

I have also noticed that the Corel plans do not show any catheads. Looking at other plans of her they do exists and honestly I have no idea how they would have hauled up that anchor to secure it to the forward channel without one so my Couronne will be getting catheads. Honestly, with those forward turrets in the way, I do not envy the crew who had to hoist the anchor to the channel. That could not have been an easy task.  

Thanks for stopping by and enjoy the pictures.

post-22933-0-67654600-1475375888_thumb.jpg

post-22933-0-78208500-1475375899_thumb.jpg

post-22933-0-54320400-1475375906_thumb.jpg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Fantastic build E.J.  Follow you with great interest and pleasure.

Concerning the mailports(?)... In most of the ships there is a gunpowder/ammunition/small guns space back and deep in the ship

for obvious reasons. They have ports to drop gunpowder if nessesary, test guns and whatever a gunnerymate needs to do.

:dancetl6:

Source: Maritme museum Amsterdam.

Bob, Yancovitch, thanks for the visit and compliments and thanks to everyone else for al the likes and following along.

Woodo, welcome to the build! Always a pleasure to have someone else join in and enjoy the journey.

I don't know if "mail ports" were always what they were called. I saw them labeled as such on one drawing and as I have not seen a different name and it makes sense I have kept it. Basically yes, they were a water level port that could be used to load or unload anything that would fit through it, people or supplies. Although it would be a port that would only be opened in fair seas or risk water pouring in, I can see the advantage of having them on these extremely tall ships where the spar deck could easily be 20 feet or higher above the water line. Every thing would either have to be carried up the ladders or craned in which would be a lot of work for small items. The other advantage is if the ship had to lighten herself in a hurry, supplies and cargo on the lower decks could be easily thrown out this port instead of being hauled up to the gun deck and then pitched overboard. 

Edited by EJ_L

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

After what was a very slow build week last week, Sunday proved to be very fruitful with a nice 8 hour build. So what did that time give me? Port side channels and deadeyes. Starboard side are all prepped and ready and should get installed later this week.

post-22933-0-56817500-1475544713_thumb.jpg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

That was a good day for you, deadeyes and channels look good

Look'n real good E.J........ love the shots of your build, very impressive!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Don, Robin, Frank, thank you all for the compliments and thank you to everyone for the likes and just stopping in to take a look.

Got the catheads installed last night. Still trying to figure out where the cleat to tie off the rigging will go. Plans do not even show the catheads let alone the rigging or tie off points for the anchors. I know how the rigging will run and how to do that after searching through other plans and build logs but I'm still not certain on the placement of the cleat. I have seen many different places, the deck, back of cathead beam and even a few that have it tied off to a belaying pin on the rail. I'm currently leaning towards a cleat on the back of the cathead beam but I am open to suggestions.

I also installed the kevals, which you can see a pair of in the picture. I almost forgot about them until I was looking at the picture to upload. I will take a better one of them later.

Meanwhile, enjoy the picture!

post-22933-0-84903100-1475843036_thumb.jpg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

I'm with Bob for the cleat placement, looking real good

Thanks Bob and Don for you input. That has been what I was leaning towards so I'm thinking that will be where it goes.

Had a night of learning on the bits last night. Made great progress on the posts but the belaying pins have been a nightmare. The ones supplied in the kit look great but are a bit oversized. Not horribly but enough that they have been causing alignment and spacing issues. After many split pieces of wood and restarts I think I now have a workable solution. Unfortunately I probably won't get to find out till tomorrow as today is going to be yet another busy day of packing up the house to get ready for the move. I'm glad I only have two of these to make. I do have a few pin rails to build though. Oh well, all part of the fun! 

On a side note, does anyone know a good source for the small pulleys that can be used inside of sheave holes and blocks? Right now I am carving them into the posts of the bits and they don't look too bad and honestly won't be seen once the rigging is in place but, I wouldn't mind putting something better in and especially on the next build which is a larger scale and will be more noticeable.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Cornwall model boats has a good stock of sheave pulleys etc but they are in the UK

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/index.html

I used the search term, brass pulley in their search box

Edited by Cobr@

Hi E.J. - one thing you can do to simulate pulleys is to use a deadeye. Just file it flat on the sides so it fits snugly in the sheave. If you want it to look like metal you can paint it with brass paint or whatever color you like. They come in many sizes,although probably not small enough to fit in a small block.

Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways