Phantom by Gerald Spargo - Model Shipways - 1:96

Well.......since MSW suffered this catastrophic crash (terrible thing to happen). With everyones permission, I would like to use this event as a chance to start fresh.

I'm going to start with building the New York Pilot Boat “Phantom”. I will be using Chucks practicum as a guide to building the Phantom, as it is much more explanatory than the manual that came with the kit. I do plan on weathering this model, as that is what I enjoy doing. I just think it adds a bit of life, and character to the model. This will be my first solid hull model, I am use to building P.O.B models.

I got through the first step of shaping the hull. At first it was a bit intimidating, but after I got a little way into it, I found it wasn't all that bad. I've added the keel, stem, and sternpost to the hull. I do still have some work to do to the deck before I plank it. I plan on planking the deck with individual strips.

post-2322-0-91325400-1363830400.jpg

post-2322-0-19744200-1363830396.jpg

post-2322-0-84924800-1363830386.jpg

Gerald Spargo    (aka Dragon65)

For a ship is the noblest of all men’s work--A cunning fabric of wood, iron, and hemp, Wonderfully propelled by wings of canvas, And seeming at times to have the very breath of life.

Current Build:

Charles W. Morgan - Model Shipways

Hi Gerald,

The Phantom makes a good looking vessel when finished. You are off to a great start! Wish you well and will follow the build.

BFN

Hopeful aka David

Edited by hopeful

Gerald:

Good to see you back again. You have made a nice start. I am looking forward to seeing your progress.

Russ

Thanks Russ, and David.

I built the rudder by gluing 4_1/8"x1/8" strips of wood together, then shaping those into the rudder. The picture shows it on the Phantom, but it isn't actually attached, it's just for show.

post-2322-0-77480100-1363867081.jpg

post-2322-0-30286900-1363867092.jpg

For a ship is the noblest of all men’s work--A cunning fabric of wood, iron, and hemp, Wonderfully propelled by wings of canvas, And seeming at times to have the very breath of life.

Current Build:

Excellent......There will be only a few more of these as I believe it will no longer be available as a Solid hull.   In the near future it will become a new POB kit.  I cant wait to see your fantastic weathering techniques used on this model.

Chuck

YAY! Another Phantom - I loved building mine and credit it (and blame it) for my new addiction!!!    Awesome start, so nice and clean - and that rudder looks fantastic. (mine looked like a paddle with a nub ;) )

Can't wait to see more!!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

I started planking the aft deck. I planked it parallel to the bulwarks. I wasn't quite sure how to do this, and couldn't find very much information or pictures on planking this way. So I hope this is close to right. The good news is most of it in the center will be covered with deck features.

post-2322-0-73786100-1364095939.jpg

Current Build:

Gerald:

That is close to how they did it. In a real boat, there would be a wider king plank down the center and the ends of the deck planks would be joggled into the king plank. I think yours look good though. Nice work with the seams.

Russ

Thanks Russ, Since this was an optional way of planking, I wish they would have showed more of it on the plans.

Current Build:

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Gerald,

Am really enjoying your build. Like the way you are laying the deck. Since the Phantom is a 1:96 scale are the planks 1/16". It would sure take a great hand and eye to joggle 1:16 planks into the king plank. I am learning a lot from your build which is good as I just started a Phantom build too, LOL. Should I plank the deck, ummmmm?

BFN

Cheers,

Hopeful aka David

“there is wisdom in many voices”

Completed: Sharpie Schooner (Midwest) Posted Gallery

Current: Sultana (MSW)

Current: Phantom (MSW)

Next: Lady Nelson (Amati Victory)

Hi Hopeful, 

I think it would be possible to joggle the 1/16 in. planks into a king plank that is wider. The picture here shows the planks on the foredeck joggled into another 1/16 in. margin plank. With planks this small it is kind of hard to see what you're doing.

As you can see, I still have some work to do on the bulwarks. Once I am satisfied with those, I will paint the outside of the hull, and copper plate the bottom before adding the rail, I don't want to take the chance of breaking it. I do feel I made the deck rather dark, but I'm going to go with it.

post-2322-0-63116700-1365466470_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

Hi Gerald,

Thanks for the response.

You did very well to joggle the deck planks into the margin plank...1/16 all around is remarkable. You sailors in Nebraska have keen eyes and steady hands. Man, are the bulwarks thin or what. Lets forget about the 1/16ths and go with some 3/32nds for relief. BTW, dark deck looks good as the phantom ain't no yatch! Little low lustre poly on that and you are good to go.

Look forward to your next post.

BFN

Cheers,

Hopeful aka David

“there is wisdom in many voices”

Completed: Sharpie Schooner (Midwest) Posted Gallery

Current: Sultana (MSW)

Current: Phantom (MSW)

Next: Lady Nelson (Amati Victory)

Edited by hopeful

I finished the deck, and bulwarks this weekend. I lightened up the deck, so it isn't as dark as it was. I had done some extreme weathering to the bulwarks, but at this scale it didn't look good at all. So I painted the bulwarks, and waterways a medium cream color, then added a grungy gray weathering powder.......much better than the first attempt. I also added the powder to specific areas of the deck. The hull is painted with a lighter color of black called Graphite, I prefered this over straight black.

Now I have a lot of copper plates to cut, so I can copper the bottom.

Plus I want to build the launching ways.

post-2322-0-05414300-1365979086_thumb.jpg

post-2322-0-10749300-1365979093_thumb.jpg

post-2322-0-82686300-1365979097_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

The deck planking in the kit is a scribed sheet, but you can substitute individual deck planking strips at your expense if you like. That is what Gerald has done. Just a little kit bashing to improve the kit.

Russ

Gulfmedic1.........Yes, as Russ said, the Phantom does come with a scribed sheet for the decking. I preferred the individual planking. The actual size of planks I used is .0208 x .0625, I got these through Midwest. I didn't buy these for this purpose, they were actually going to be used for some 1/4" scale structures that I never got to. Kit bashing is what makes this hobby so enjoyable, and is what makes each model you build, more personal to your own individuality.

Thank you Jack, and Russ. Jack, for a small fee, you are welcome to use any idea I use.......................................... :cheers: just kidding.

Current Build:

Here is some progress on my Phantom. I know some are cutting the plates at 1/8" x 1/4", but I wanted longer looking plates, so I cut mine at 1/8" x 1/2". I have the first stage of coppering done, and have the second stage started.

post-2322-0-09094100-1366631129_thumb.jpg

post-2322-0-39938200-1366631138_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

Gerald:

That works out to 12 x 48 inches and it looks good. Very nice work on the edges of the plates. Very neat overlaps.

Russ

• 2 years later...

I know I've been gone for awhile. I don't have internet on my computer. Only internet I have is this little phone. I have been working on my Phantom though, just getting use to this phone so can get active on this site again.i Hope this works, lol. I also have the deck furniture built. I will post pictures of those as I install them, if this works out.

post-2322-0-79292800-1455496768_thumb.jpg

post-2322-0-90452100-1455496803_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

Welcome back! I like the weathering you did! I think I'm going to not weather mine, but I can always change my mind ;)!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

If you decided later down the road to do some weathering, I would suggest light weathering. Heavier weathering like I am doing,is better done from the beginning.

Current Build:

Good point. I should probably make my decision before I get very far. I am only in the very beginning stages of the build.

-Elijah

Current build(s):

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

It's good to see you back, Gerald.  You've made a lot of progress.  She's looking sharp.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark, I like how it's going so far. Elijah, if you decide to weather, I'll be glad to help you with advice.

Current Build:

Thanks! If I decide to weather, I will definitely ask you for advice!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of: