Lady Smith by Mike Dowling - FINISHED - Constructo

I finished the deck planking and decided to put the bulwarks on. The wood I cut them from was a bit thin but I hope they will be OK. Next thing, as I can't put it off any longer is to plank the hull.

Problem is, I haven't done this for ages so can anyone tell me where to start ?

post-10647-0-48983200-1458489903_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-83651100-1458489940_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-68766900-1458489977_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-92536800-1458490011_thumb.jpg

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Nice decking! This may help with hull planking http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-framing-and-planking-articles.php. Good luck!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

• 2 weeks later...

Well folks, the hull is lined ! Nothing like the best planking in the world but, as this hull is to be painted, as far as I was concerned it just needed to be covered. It has had it's initial brutal sanding. There is some filling to do as you can see but nothing too spectacular. So next job is to do that and then I will sand it down again and give it a coat of sealing laquer before first coat of paint.

post-10647-0-60379000-1459521699_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-15340800-1459521734_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-05226900-1459521771_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-95537800-1459521805_thumb.jpg

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

I realise that my friend. So far she has had two fillings and sandings but I have now laquered her to make her less absorbent for what I hope will be the last filling/sanding. I then intend to give her a coat of acrylic undercoat which is pretty thick and I hope that will fill any remaining blemishes before a final sand. I also want to fit the stantions and gallant rails before I try to paint her properly.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Nice planking Mike!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

Next installment folks! The poor hull has been filled and sanded to within an inch of it's life but it is now as smooth and lovely as a babies bottom !

I decided to wait for the acrylic undercoat for a bit longer.

I really did make the bulwarks out of way to thin wood which has meant a constant source of panic as they cracked and wriggled under my ministrations. They just about survived to have stantions added and the gallant rails glued on top. I did paint the bulwarks and stantions before putting the rails on which I reckon was a good idea. The scuttles and hawseholes are also cut.

The stem is drying in what I hope will be the correct shape and then I can add it and the keel.

Anyway - some pics for you.

post-10647-0-49224000-1459867571_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-59098600-1459867606_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-43358500-1459867660_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-64781500-1459867690_thumb.jpg

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Greetings again fellow masochists!!

I have given this beast three coats of acrylic undercoat and three sandings varying from the downright brutal to the soft and gentle!! It is still not totally smooth but there is only so much I can tolerate.

I have drawn on the waterline ready for coloured painting and, following the plans,  stuck on some ridiculously small (1mm x 1mm ) strips on the hull. I don't know whether they are wales, rubbing strakes or guards to prevent the trawl gates damaging the sides of the hull. Anyway, they are stuck on !!

I have also put on the stem and the keel and the rudder post. I think the next move is to paint the beast ! It will have to be by hand as I don't have an air brush or aerosols but at least it will be my own work.

Some more pics for you.

post-10647-0-20294300-1460050223_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-63430300-1460050255_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-23412400-1460050285_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-39008900-1460050315_thumb.jpg

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Nice! Good job!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

The hull is now painted, three coats of enamel. Before you all start on me I know it is very glossy but that's the way I wanted it !! I still have to do the white dividing line on each side between the red and black and put the names and number of the boat and the rudder and propeller before the hull is finally done.

post-10647-0-00778000-1460557594_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-17584700-1460557627_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-25589600-1460557658_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-89591900-1460557688_thumb.jpg

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Hello folks.

Well, Lady Smith is finished !! Once I has completed the hull it was a matter of putting on all the bits and pieces I hade made whilst waiting for the various stages of the hull to dry etc. The rigging turned out to be more complex than it looked and I did cheat in one or two places. The deadeyes could have been better but the thread I used was too strong for the fixings really and therefore on this scale they look a bit loose.

Anyway, for my first ever scratch build I am not too displeased and I think she looks OK although varying somewhat from the real ship methinks ! Such are the joys of model making.

Anyway some pics for you all to enjoy or not but I hope you will like them.

post-10647-0-15918800-1461000129_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-83559700-1461000189_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-68627300-1461000223_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-17850600-1461000256_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-39224800-1461000290_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-95195400-1461000323_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-75425500-1461000355_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-79097200-1461000390_thumb.jpg

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

lovely steam trawler Mike

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thank you both for your kind comments.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

She looks great! Congratulations!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I just happened to stumble across your build log for the Lady Smith. Great job! She's a beautiful and unusual model.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

love it--- something a bit different. Tempted to do one myself ,

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍