Oyster Yacht by iMack - 1:40 - CNC/CAD/3D Print

Iain,

This is magnificent. Thank you so much for sharing. I love modern sailboats and enjoy tremendously your Blog.

I toured the real Oyster yachts at Annapolis, during the October Sailboat show. They are very impressive but out of reach for the vast majority of human beings.

Now, as far as you are concerned, you need to sail the real one.

Yves

Looking fantastic!! That is going to be a very sharp looking model. Good to see you back at it and moving along quite nicely. Good choice with the vinyl for the windows.

Cheers EJ. I'm really putting in the extra time to get a really smooth finish. I have 3 weeks left before deadline for this so there will be a lot of work being done in the coming few days. Ready for spraying soon. Vinyl has worked very well - however I feel it has a bit of a cheap finish in person. I'm thinking of backspraying a piece of 0.5 acrylic and heat bending it to the correct shape. 

Iain,

This is magnificent. Thank you so much for sharing. I love modern sailboats and enjoy tremendously your Blog.

I toured the real Oyster yachts at Annapolis, during the October Sailboat show. They are very impressive but out of reach for the vast majority of human beings.

Now, as far as you are concerned, you need to sail the real one.

Yves

Thanks yvesvidal, I really appreciate it. I've develop a great interest in modern yachts and it would be an absolute pleasure to visit the real thing. Very envious that you got to visit them !  :) I study right next to Poole in the UK which is the construction base for all sunseeker yachts. They are in the process of building the new 155 ft yacht that you can see in the harbour. I'm quite into my quadcopters so I want to try and get some aerial images to share here. 

Todays work has been a second coat of primer. Cleaning up and tidying any rough edges and drilling the holes for the stanchions. The boom and support have been assembled and just sanding the joints. 

3d printed boom with hardened steel rod for strength

IMG_20160418_162724.jpg

Slots right into the master. perfect! 

IMG_20160418_162804.jpg

Having some trouble with the rails. Stanchions fit well but the wire I'm using has kinks in it since it comes rolled up. I've ordered some meter length brass rod which will resolve the problem. There are some difficult bends towards the back that will be... interesting to get. 

IMG_20160418_162645.jpg

Check this image for those awkward curves at the rear where the seating is. 

wwaay_2x.jpg

Following things that are top priority this week are spraying the hull. Followed by preparing the cad file so that I can have some fabric printed for the sails. Check the pattern here. 

karibu_gallery_1.jpg

Edited by iMack

Last evening and this morning has been spraying work. I spent a good while mixing the colours to get them right on and have gone with several thin coats of cellulose. A lot of the afternoon was just taking the extra time masking off the pin strips across the hull. I've done countless attempts - and minor kink or bend is really amplified. I'm happy with them now and here is the result so far. 

The next painting step is to spray a clear lacquer to get a very high gloss finish. This is probably the most important and difficult part of the spraying. Any dust particles will be quite obvious. Excuse the messy desk. :) The deck and windows are just slotted in - nothing glued yet. 

IMG_20160420_194718.jpg

IMG_20160421_104301.jpg

IMG_20160421_104740.jpg

IMG_20160421_094834.jpg

IMG_20160421_094847.jpg

IMG_20160421_100153.jpg

IMG_20160421_094750.jpg

/Iain 

Edited by iMack

Very nice paint job. Those pin stripes look excellent also. I know first hand how difficult that can be to tape those off straight and smoothe with no kinks. She is looking very sharp.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Is this a commission?

Sitting here in Antigua just after the Oyster regatta I am sure you could sell a few of your models to the ever growing fleet of Oyster 80 owners

Andy

Current Build

HM Granado CC

Past builds

HMS Chatham CC, HM Convulsion CC,  Duke William German Kit, Fair American LSS, The Wright Flyer MS

Very nice paint job. Those pin stripes look excellent also. I know first hand how difficult that can be to tape those off straight and smoothe with no kinks. She is looking very sharp.

Cheers EJ. They are a tough one. Glad I spent the extra time on them. 

Is this a commission?

Sitting here in Antigua just after the Oyster regatta I am sure you could sell a few of your models to the ever growing fleet of Oyster 80 owners

Andy

I'm an industrial design/modelmaking student working on this for one of my projects. Hoping to work in marine and architectural models after I graduate. I study about an hour from their UK operations in Southampton - so it would be great to sell a few. 

Edited by iMack

Iain,

Superb paint work. And as EJ_L stated that pin striping is very difficult especially in close pairs. 

You are also an airbrush artist - well done.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

I'm an industrial design/modelmaking student working on this for one of my projects. Hoping to work in marine and architectural models after I graduate. I study about an hour from their UK operations in Southampton - so it would be great to sell a few.

Since you live near the place where Oysters are built, you should go to their plant and show them your masterpiece.

Sailboat makers have a need for models of their boats, in small quantity and easily reproducible (you have access to the equipment).

I know Beneteau for instance, sells some of their flagship boats as models for an hefty price. I think Jeanneau does the same and future or current owners have no problem paying 1-2K euros for a model of their beloved sailboat.

There is also a very nice lady in Puerto Rico who makes models of current and modern sailboats and motorboats. Her prices are more affordable (a few hundreds dollars to a couple of K depending on the model) but her manufacturing process is more traditional (hand made). She comes to the Sailboat show in Annapolis, MD, every year.

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

Since you live near the place where Oysters are built, you should go to their plant and show them your masterpiece.

Sailboat makers have a need for models of their boats, in small quantity and easily reproducible (you have access to the equipment).

I know Beneteau for instance, sells some of their flagship boats as models for an hefty price. I think Jeanneau does the same and future or current owners have no problem paying 1-2K euros for a model of their beloved sailboat.

There is also a very nice lady in Puerto Rico who makes models of current and modern sailboats and motorboats. Her prices are more affordable (a few hundreds dollars to a couple of K depending on the model) but her manufacturing process is more traditional (hand made). She comes to the Sailboat show in Annapolis, MD, every year.

Yves

I'm hoping to organise a visit soon. I was in contact with them originally to acquire some plans however they refused by request on copyright terms. There was a very good documentary on the BBC last month about the construction of these luxury yachts (sunseeker however). Models of some of the luxury yachts can cost up to £40,000 they mentioned. The documentary was called 'Britain's Biggest Superyachts: Chasing Perfection' if anyone wants a watch. 

Iain,

Superb paint work. And as EJ_L stated that pin striping is very difficult especially in close pairs. 

You are also an airbrush artist - well done.

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks Michael. :)

So an update on the painting situation. I have had to do some emergency repairs. I arrived this morning and some of the paint has reacted with the model. Unfortunately I didn't think of taking a picture at the time before I went away cutting the paint off. All the paint and lacquer I was using is cellulose based so that rules out a chemical reaction. I had wiped down the model before spraying for any grease and dust but perhaps there was some still present. The lacquer naturally pulls very slightly at the model as it sets however this part was very drastic. 

This was the effect that had been left. horrible! 

0901sr_07_z_help_with_troubleshooting_pa

All the layers of paint separated from the chemiwood. Including the primer. I just scalpeled off the paint. 

IMG_20160422_100643.jpg

Sanding back. I even masked off the area afterwards and some more just peeled off. 

IMG_20160422_133511.jpg

Spraying and using a sheet of paper with a hole to create a feathered edge. Merged in quite nicely. It's almost gone. phew.. (some dodgy - yet very effective masking). Used paper along with less masking tape as not to peel off anything else. 

IMG_20160422_135100.jpg

aahhhh.. feeling much better now. All I have left to do is another lacquer. I will let the paint fully set over the weekend and do the gloss lacquer on monday.

IMG_20160422_161339.jpg

Edited by iMack

Iain 

I have passed this link on to a friend who works at Oyster in Suffolk at the head office hope fully you will here from him

Andy

Current Build

HM Granado CC

Past builds

HMS Chatham CC, HM Convulsion CC,  Duke William German Kit, Fair American LSS, The Wright Flyer MS

Some good progress has been made on parts across the model. There aren't many visible changes but it's cleaning up and getting things prepped. Base work has been a priority so I have measured and cut a 150mm solid block of MDF and clad with acrylic. The edges will be matt and the top surface will be back sprayed acrylic to get a nice reflective finish. Orginally I was going to have a black matt edging with very dark blue water. However I've now decided to do the opposite and go for an off white reflective base and black rim. The reason is the black of the boat under the waterline merges into the dark blue water. The white will have a much better contrast. 

IMG_20160428_132011.jpg

The steel has been cut to size and tapped. Sits flush into the base now. The metal housing is covered by the acrylic. 

IMG_20160428_132026.jpg

IMG_20160427_155109.jpg

IMG_20160428_161907.jpg

IMG_20160428_163857.jpg

Edited by iMack

very impressive indeed! once i had experience on CNC making a chess piece way back college Machine shop. Now i regret why i hadn't the idea to produce a ship model instead hehe but by this work of yours iMack, it feels like Im part of it somehow hehe thanks for sharing your beautiful yacht.

great work!

victor

very impressive indeed! once i had experience on CNC making a chess piece way back college Machine shop. Now i regret why i hadn't the idea to produce a ship model instead hehe but by this work of yours iMack, it feels like Im part of it somehow hehe thanks for sharing your beautiful yacht.

great work!

victor

Thanks Victor. I appreciate it and I'm glad you are enjoying the build as much as I am. That chess piece sounds like a great little model - you can create such amazing works with a cnc machine. 

Well it's been a rather difficult week with quite a few things not turning out as expected. Thankfully it's only set me back 2 days. I'm eager to complete the hull because then I can work full steam ahead on all the intricate details. I have spent the past week reworking the base. I've swapped for a reflective white piece of backsprayed acrylic to get a better contrast against the black of the under waterline hull. This has been completed with black cladding. It's looking very sleek however I may just tone that black down a bit to a grey. The model now works its way up from black, white, black, golden etc...  I'm unsure if I like having the same colour in the model and the base. 

The entire model screws into the base beautifully and is just a pleasure to do every time. It's rock solid and the keel just hovers about 2mm over the base. You barely see the steel rod and looks as if it sits nicely. I will try and make an effort to get some cleaning looking photo's up soon.

IMG_20160505_082731.jpg

IMG_20160505_082545.jpg

IMG_20160505_082559.jpg

Now in terms of the difficult part of the week you wouldn't imagine I broke half the model from the images above. Well I did just that. Whilst inserting the steel rod I had epoxied the slot. However whilst trying to fit the part in it created a vacuum because the part was so snug it wouldn't allow the air to escape because of the thick epoxy glue. I used a bit more pressure to get the rod down and it found its way out the sides of the keel and pierced the paint job. Now I had chosen a fast setting epoxy so it was solid before I could make the decision to clean or yank the steel out. That ended up me using a pair of pliers to crank the piece out whilst shattering the keel. Being a hollow 3D print I was expecting it to give. However I've managed to get back and looking even better somehow as you can see above. A lucky recovery. I managed to have a replica keel printed for the next day, have it fitted (with the rod stuck in first), attached, sanded and painted in the day. The following morning I did a good heavy lacquer to get the high shine. That has to now cure for 24 hours. 

IMG_20160503_201548.jpg

IMG_20160504_134446.jpg

IMG_20160503_201738.jpg

Another problem that arose is the masking tape. I ran out of masking tape during the week but had a cheap role tucked away somewhere. I used that and when I took it off it left a horrible mark and residue. I had to go in with a lint cloth with some lighter fluid and t-cut to get it off. Unfortunately it has left a very fine grain on the paint from cleaning it off - however its barely visible unless very close up. 

IMG_20160504_150032.jpg

A good old heavy lacquer to get that shine up 

IMG_20160505_101932.jpg

Here's a shot of some of the mast work. I've had the spreaders designed and printed. Attached and drilled now ready for rigging. This will get sprayed tomorrow. 

IMG_20160505_155046.jpg

Edited by iMack

Sorry to hear about your mishap with the keel. That is never a good moment when you are looking at a ruined project after putting in all that time and effort. Good to see you were able to recover and she is looking good again. I'm looking forward to seeing all her details come together to complete this great build. 

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Sorry to hear about your mishap with the keel. That is never a good moment when you are looking at a ruined project after putting in all that time and effort. Good to see you were able to recover and she is looking good again. I'm looking forward to seeing all her details come together to complete this great build. 

Cheers EJ. It was quite a heart wrenching moment to shatter the keel like that. Thankfully although it hit my confidence it really pushed me to get it completed for deadline. 

I've done a dry assembly today to have a look what it looks like. The mast, spreaders and boom have been attached and painted. It's beginning to come together! Looks pretty similar to the renders which is good news. Stanchions have been added in and the deck is just double sided on at the moment for testing purposes. That final lacquer has really worked a treat 

IMG_20160506_120052_1.jpg

Edited by iMack

Wow! That is fantastic work! You can't even see where it broke.  ;)  This is truly a remarkable build.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

A most impressive recovery, and a stunning looking yacht.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Wow! That is fantastic work! You can't even see where it broke.  ;)  This is truly a remarkable build.

Thanks EJ. I'm glad your enjoying it :) 

A most impressive recovery, and a stunning looking yacht.

Michael

Cheers michael. Not far off now. 

The next things in line are to create the file for the sails so I can have the fabric printed. Can anyone recommend me a goo fabric for this scale? I have handed in for deadline so it means I won't be able to work on the model for the week whilst they are assessing. After that however it's all go and I'll begin the detailing. 

• 2 weeks later...

She sure is turning out nice. A ship to be proud of for sure. Looks real good on that base as well. Good choice going with the white top.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Thanks EJ. I'm very happy with how she is turning out. Lets hope I get a good grade for it. :) 

Fabric has arrived. I've printed on a faux silk and have ironed it onto some interfacing to give it a bit more strength and rigidity. It is slightly transparent with light from behind but the interfacing prevents most of that now. Having never sewed before I tried the machine out and inverted the sails. I'd already added seam space in the design to allow for this. I've masking taped them on just to have a look and I'm very happy with it. Now it's time to get them attached. 

IMG_20160526_150332.jpg

IMG_20160526_195456.jpg 

Wow! She really turned out looking great! Excellent job on the sails. Of course with all the fine work and effort you have been putting into her over the months I expected nothing less. Great job! I don't know what your grading criteria is but that is first class work to this community.

So now that I am guessing school will be ending, are you planning on taking on a new project?

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Wow! She really turned out looking great! Excellent job on the sails. Of course with all the fine work and effort you have been putting into her over the months I expected nothing less. Great job! I don't know what your grading criteria is but that is first class work to this community.

So now that I am guessing school will be ending, are you planning on taking on a new project?

Thanks again, I appreciate your comments EJ. I have a couple of details to add later this week and then I should be finished. I will be having a well deserved summer break and then find a job within the Modelmaking Industry in London. 

As for my next project, it'll take a while for me to settle into place. I'd like to try a traditional POF and hone my skills a bit more. Perhaps a cutter or similar sized ship to have some practise. 

Today I can say I have finally finished this model. I'm very proud of the finish and it has been an absolute pleasure to build and work on. Would love to make another larger motor yacht next time using similar processes and machinery. There may be a couple more small details I'd like to add before I send it off. I will be transporting this model to London for my final end of year show, so it has to survive a 4 hour road trip in the back of a van. I've built a custom crate for it and will start getting some foam cut so that it slots into place. 

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

Cheers, 

Edited by iMack