Glad Tidings Pinky by alde - Model Shipways

Thanks Elijah, I should have it closed up tonight. It will be nice to move on to the rest of the ship. It's starting to look like a hull of a ship.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Somewhere on one of these threads, i saw a reference to what was supposed to be the best book on planking. Does anyone know that book?

Thanks,

Walt

Patience, patience; slow and easy makes the model.

Finished projects: NY pilot boat Phantom;  lobster smack Emma C. Berry

Current build: English Pinnace

Alde,

Thanks much for that link; looks to have a lot of good info.

I'm still interested in finding that book.

Walt

Walt, there is a really good book by Jim Roberts called Planking the Built Up Ship Model that is always on ebay under model shipways listings. It's really low cost and very good.

Edited by alde

Al

Current Builds:

A really big milestone for me. The hull is planked and looks pretty decent. It feels like closing up a surgery. I ended up 2 planks short of the plans and some of the planks in the middle belt got too narrow at the bow and stern but it's good enough for me at this stage of my learning. Besides, the hull will be painted. I will do a bit more sanding now and get a coat of primer on it so I can see the flaws better then do some spot filling. I don't think it will take much.

Here are a couple of pictures of the fully planked hull. Feel free to point out and errors as it's all about learning.

post-9975-0-26638400-1463259447_thumb.jpg

post-9975-0-92074800-1463259449_thumb.jpg

Al

Current Builds:

Looks really nice. Some sanding and filling and she'll be ready to paint! Congratulations

hamilton 

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Thanks Hamilton.

I was going to try to sand out the imperfections and not use filler but I'm afraid the planks might get too thin in places. I hope to get to the point of painting by the end of the week. I at least want to get some primer on it so the problems will show through better.

I was thinking of going with Yellow Ochre for the hull color but might go with something a bit brighter. I don't want it too bright though.

Al

Current Builds:

Nice job! Your planking looks very good!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

I went with red below the waterline and light grey above with a black sheering strake. I think there's a wide latitude of interpretation here - go with what you like! 

hamilton

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Walt, there is a really good book by Jim Roberts called Planking the Built Up Ship Model that is always on ebay under model shipways listings. It's really low cost and very good.

thanks much Alde. That is the one i was looking for. Appreciate you taking the time to find it.

Walt

• 4 weeks later...

I have been a little preoccupied with the Triton Cross Section but have not forgotten the Glad Tidings. I have put some paint to the hull and wanted some opinions of the green color. Would this be an appropriate color for a 19th Century fishing boat? I think I like it but am not really 100% sure about it. I am thinking of going with the yellow as it was built by Chapelle but wanted something different. I may go that way after all. What do you all think?

For some reason the picture shows up with the bow cut off but if you click on it you can see the full hull.

post-9975-0-19095100-1465758159_thumb.jpg

Edited by alde

Al

Current Builds:

I like the colours you've chosen Al - very authentic looking for a working ship. How will you finish the waterways, bulwarks, stanchions and caprails? 

hamilton

Good choices - looking forward to seeing more progress - you'll be coming to the really fun part soon - the cabins!

hamilton

Yea, I'm really looking forward to getting to more detail work. I have also been looking at photos of schooners and see a few with the colors I am thinking about. I like the look.

I don't know why this is not a more popular kit. The hull goes together pretty easy and I think she's a good looking boat. It's really a perfect kits for a beginner.

Al

Current Builds:

I absolutely agree! I wish I'd built this as a first POB model since it illustrates very well in its design the principles of spiling...

hamilton

Great video - thanks for posting!

hamilton

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It's been way too long since I have worked on my Pinky. I have had some significant life changes over the last several months that have keeper me away from anything fun. I retired from my job in July to spend more time with my wife who had a stroke several years ago but has declined in health over the last year or so. She had to go into a nursing home in September because I was no longer to take care of her at home. I try to spend as much time as I can with her but I feel pretty helpless to do anything for her. Now that she is more settled in and is in good hands I am taking a little more time to myself. I still see her most days but am now taking time to do some things to get my mind off the negative stuff. I am in the process of getting my work area ready and should be back to my build in a week or so. I really need to do it and also enjoy the company of my friends here on MSW.

Al

Current Builds:

Hi Al:

I'm sorry to hear about your wife's health - it can't be easy and I hope she's doing ok and that you're taking care of yourself. Best for the new year to you both

hamilton

Thank you Hamilton, today was a good day for her. She was in a very happy mood for some reason. It really lifted my heart. I pray that she continues to have good days.

Al

Current Builds:

• 7 months later...

I have been trying to keep up with everybody's builds but I have not worked on mine for quite some time. Between family issues and getting my guitar done the shipyard has been neglected. Well not any more. I'm back at my Glad Tidings and have been working on the deck. It's going pretty smoothly and is looking ok. I painted the hull green but I think I have changed my mind and will go with the yellow hull like the original. The other builds I have seen sure look nice in yellow. I should be spending some good time at the workbench and will do my best to keep my log up to date. 

2017-08-25 13.22.47.jpg

2017-08-25 13.15.16.jpg

Al

Current Builds:

Guest Tim I.

A hard lesson for me to to learn with shipbuilding, is that I need to take my time and build to my pace - not to meet others expectations.

Whatever color you go with for the hull, I look forward to seeing it. Good to see you back at it again.

- Tim I.

Looking really great Al.  Love your guitar too by the way, it's a real beauty.  You're very talented!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

10 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Looking really great Al.  Love your guitar too by the way, it's a real beauty.  You're very talented!

Thanks Mike, it feels really good to be back at it. I didn't realize how much I missed it. It's also great to be spending more time here with my friends.

Al

Current Builds:

She looks nice! Good work! Is the waterway laser cut?

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

6 hours ago, Elijah said:

She looks nice! Good work! Is the waterway laser cut?

Thanks Elijah. Yes it's laser cut. It's a really nice kit and goes together well so far.

Al

Current Builds: