Trabakul by donrobinson - FINISHED - MarisStella - 1:32 scale

The masts look very nice! All of your work is very tidy!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Dave, Len, Elijah and Bob Thanks guys I really appreciate you guys stopping in and leaving your great comments.

Mike: "laundry and dishes" sounds much better,at that time of day, than vodka and orange!!:P:)

All those little details really add life to the build Don. Great execution on your part.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Beautiful work as usual Don. Showing these steps is invaluable to me. I find myself continually going back to your build to see how you did one thing or another. My backyard looks like yours right now.😱

Thanks Mike, when she is done the deck won't be so empty, there are so many things that are not on other ships I have seen. Is that tug floating yet?

Ian: Thanks I am busy now serving shrouds with my new Domanoff serving machine, what a purchase! It is a fantastic machine, runs so smooth and with the attachments you can even do seizing with it. Way too much fun, I'm actually just stalling from building the ship's boat:P.

That serving machine is definitely a cool looking unit. I look forward to seeing more of what I'm missing!

Ian

21 hours ago, donrobinson said:

Is that tug floating yet?

Absolutely. Even had it's first rescue last week. I've posted a few finished pix, however just this week I was finally able to get some scale model car tires so I've hung those around the sides. I'll add a few new pix.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for stooping in, for your likes and of course all the great comments even You(Mike Shanks:P). Today is going to be a beautiful day outside so this is just going to be a quick update before I head out side to work up a thirst. Actually it is so nice I'm thirsty already!! So lets get this going

First up is just another way of stropping/seizing a block with a becket, here I am using the Domanoff serving machine.

IMG_2109.thumb.jpg.06b52aa7f5ef259e4bb0208aa881fdea.jpgIMG_2110.thumb.jpg.a6991c6c9f49b6d1eaded102e5cecb0d.jpgIMG_2112.thumb.jpg.d244abcb537f020d48c530d5e38faa48.jpg

As this was just for demonstration purposes I will make another one with a 7mm triple that I can actually use :default_wallbash::default_wallbash:IMG_2113.thumb.jpg.9353d1a338b35205be04b8d2387ab3c8.jpg

This is the mizzen mast with various rigging, not yet permanently attached

IMG_2114.thumb.jpg.448140268aa802912a76c1bd83ac864c.jpg 

This the fore mastIMG_2115.thumb.jpg.350dbe52cb5a9af387a37cae196c4b4e.jpg

One of the trestle trees, notice how my nails turned brown in the blackening solution. Only me and my crazy luck

IMG_2120.thumb.jpg.c2ace41a70ba4a36dcfc3c5a2a02c6df.jpg

I apologise for the poor picture but I was just trying to show my plumb bob for truing the masts and the proper use of a can of mushrooms, magnet and square

IMG_2127.thumb.jpg.bdb8c44bb018659d50ca8ce278c3fcdc.jpg

Here are some outside shots showing the masts stepped. Top mast is not on permanent. Checkout the rope at the bottom of the mast, I'm not sure if this is something exclusive to the Trabaccolo but it is kind of cool. I should have taken pictures of this process but it is three separate coils of 1.25 mm rope followed by two more on top of that then one more at the very top

IMG_2129.thumb.jpg.b8fd8da4f4f92f6245af255c660a7670.jpgIMG_2131.thumb.jpg.e2907c19f02a48f7bcdbcdd3933a8286.jpgIMG_2132.thumb.jpg.883bcb5ed3d8d384c78a2c237f9c3efb.jpgIMG_2136.thumb.jpg.0c725f77a42948c7d2f4050de0494947.jpg

As you can see it is beautiful day here so I am going for a shower then grabbing a cool one getting on the golf cart with some tunes and get to work watching the leaves grow. Fridge is full so come on over, supposed to be 28 today that spells cold beer in Celsius or Fahrenheit :cheers:

You all have a great day and an awesome weekend

See You Later 

I forgot to mention that with the top mast on she stands about 720 mm high

very nice boat Don,

you did an excellent job so far, love those amphores down in the cargo hold...:)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks Nils, Bob and Dave for the nice comments, it's always a pleasure to hear. And Thanks to all those for the likes

Thanks Mike, glad you stopped in

Nice work Don. Beautiful actually. I love the outdoor lighting effect on the wood.

Ian

http://leut2.leut-krk.hr/leut2wordpress/

This page should prove inspiring. The guy is an expert.

MarisStella's kits are indeed very well thought-out. I'm going to continue building their Pelig model this summer.

Oh, additional information can be found in Mario Marzari's book Trabaccoli e Pielghi by Mursia. Try Mursia.com.

Great build, read through your log this afternoon.

Regards, 

Rafael.

Rafael.

Built:

-bragozzo http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/member/867-artitec3/

-leut by MiniMamoli

-passenger boat by Artitec (resin kit)

Current build: paranza fishing boat (of the Adriatic) by Corel

On the shelf: Gulnara by Krick

I love the outdoor shots Don. You just can't get that kind of light inside. The view isn't too bad either. Must be warming up there.

Found another one that should help: Luciano Keber - Traditional boats of the Croatian Adriatic, ISBN 953-6568-10-1.

Rafael.

Built:

-leut by MiniMamoli

Ian: Thanks, it's nice to finally get some outside pictures

Mike: It is finally warming and now with some rain the last couple of days things should start greening up

Rafael: Thanks so much for stopping in. I checked out that build and it is beautiful the guy does some incredible work. I am looking up those books but am not sure if they are in English

B.E.: Thanks for stopping B.E., it's really appreciated. That would be my guess about the rope at the bottom of the mast, I also thought it was a different approach that looks good.

Hi Don ... realy nice one ... It is a pleasure to stop by and to see this work ...

Regards, Zoran

The Mursia book is in Italian. And I see Zoran from MarisStella has it in his library as well.

Rafael.

Built:

-leut by MiniMamoli

• 2 weeks later...

Gorgeous work, and I'm jealous of your outdoor surroundings!

How do you like the serving machine?  I've been thinking about getting one, even if to just strop blocks which was a painful endeavor on my Badger using "helping hands" and other gizmos.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

hey howya goin Don mate, wow she really comes out in the sun light, well done mate.    :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Mike: the serving machine works good, I am enjoying it quite a bit

Zoltan: outside shots are always better, but this year with all the wind and rain we are having so far it is hard to find a day to take her outside

Eddie: Thanks, after seeing your last post in "what I received today" I may have to buy something else for those rainy days. I haven't played any sort of game in many many years, it's tempting to start again:P;)

Mate I mainly play PC games but I just had to get it.    :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

• 1 month later...

Hello all, here is a quick update on the Trabaccolo not much has happened but I'll show what little there is:

IMG_2145.thumb.jpg.caf9bd740c660747b3645e46b408281a.jpgIMG_2146.thumb.jpg.64d1d6caca73041336873f736b45a262.jpg

IMG_2157.thumb.jpg.da6a343f6b54db46ec574eb5d6afba09.jpg

Making chainplates, these were soldered afterwords. Then holes punched using a broken 1mm end mill bit

IMG_2154.thumb.jpg.be8ee2d79076c1939c99778863d7d21c.jpg

Brackets were made for channels, plans did not ask for them but I thought they would be a nice addition these and the channels are made from rosewood

IMG_2159.thumb.jpg.8a9d2ee02c93cf7702f8fe8566c6d634.jpg

IMG_2190.thumb.jpg.c26e9519b1e290f60791df052fbad073.jpg

Making of the oars

IMG_2173.thumb.jpg.80199c5216c3ff65933cc1a028221cf2.jpg

Brackets for the back stays

IMG_2191.thumb.jpg.dce48d87acdb3ffd8643e63bdf53407f.jpg

IMG_2194.thumb.jpg.82f1d90c70beefa9e5c51a34c80fd75b.jpg

A couple of shots showing channels with dead eyes installed and also the back stay brackets. Brackets and chain plates still need to be touched up with some paint, I 'm waiting until all metal work is done to do it all at once.

IMG_2164.thumb.jpg.643facb489d8b4a1dd15a6f47ff54579.jpgIMG_2165.thumb.jpg.1321d5bc06e8ec05b549e629e9d28127.jpg

IMG_2169.thumb.jpg.e956c07e6675b69e4a6a8e7ad3d84477.jpg

Just a couple of fun shots

IMG_2189.thumb.jpg.328de65249839138aa26bd94a87e64ff.jpg

Made these yesterday not fancy or pretty but they will soon be filled with rope made on my new Domanoff ropewalk:D:D:P The one on the right in the front row is the one I copied from