Trabakul by donrobinson - FINISHED - MarisStella - 1:32 scale

I agree Mike the wood is beautiful and I am no fan of painting. I am just a little worried abut the funky little planks at the bow and stern I had to install, however, we are our own worst critics and maybe it won't be as bad as I think. Thanks for stopping by

however, we are our own worst critics and maybe it won't be as bad as I think. Thanks for stopping by

I have to agree, we spend so much time looking at our builds we see every little fault. Anyone else looking just sees the overall effect of the planking. In my case it looks great and i would not have noticed anything if you had not mentioned it, as i just appreciate it for what it is (a great little model) :)

No worries on the drop planks and stealers, Don.   Normal SOP for these beasts.   :)    If you have gaps, save the sawdust and use it with either bit of watered down glue (PVA) or the finish material and make a slurry.  Fill the gaps and sand well.   That usually does the trick.  

And that is a lovely planking job you have going on there.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I agree with everyone above.  Don, that planking looks fantastic - get a nice finish on it and it will be gorgeous.  Put the paint brush down and slowly walk away :)

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Don I can tell that's going to be a beautiful hull. A few nicely planned stealers adds interest as Dave says. Gee you sure know how to motor along.

Ian

Thanks guys, it always helps being here on MSW and getting comments like this. I will work towards the natural wood look, after all it is wood and can be manipulated ;)  :)

Take Care and Thanks Again

Nice job on the planking Don......  no sweat on the drop planks , you really need them on that bow. looks great!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Don,

Agree with all of the members.  If you were to paint anything, I might consider painting the under surface a darker color over the white.  It may mask some of the gaps. Just a thought.

Thanks everyone for stopping in and for your comments and likes. I have a few pictures of my progress I thought I would show.

These first pictures are showing the making and installing of a stealer at the bow. There are two at the bow, one on either side, and the same at the stern.

post-20628-0-67964200-1468420252_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-66650100-1468420281_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-00259000-1468420304_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-26219800-1468420327_thumb.jpg

These next pictures are making the last two planks on the port side.

post-20628-0-07142400-1468420377_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-67720800-1468420355_thumb.jpg

The first picture shows the gap to be filled, which has already been shaped. Second picture shows the shaped plank laying in gap but not glued down.

post-20628-0-50052300-1468420401_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-02925600-1468420423_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-29739100-1468420452_thumb.jpg

In these last three pictures the first one shows the remaining gap to be filled the second one shows it after being shaped and the third one shows the port side complete :)  :) .

She still needs final sanding and possibly some tiny gap filling but for now it's on to the starboard side where there is 7 or eight strakes left.

Have a Good One

Edited by donrobinson

Beautifully done Don, very nice job!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Great job Don and thanks for the step-by-step pictures. Love the wood! Surely you can't paint that? Just for my future reference when I start my Brazzera, did you reject the idea of putting the stealers further up the stem so that you might get a more uniform horizontal run of the strakes? One disadvantage of doing what I'm asking of course would likely be more spiling.

Regards, Ian

Thanks Mike and Zoltan for your comments it is very much appreciated.

Ian: Thanks, if you ever need more pics let me know I have lots more. With these blunt or bluff bows (I'm not sure what the right name is) more stealers would not help. The strakes, after the second one from the keel, really take off. I was going to do some spiling but then realised that I would need planks at least 45 mm wide so I ruled that out. Then it wasn't until I was into it too far before I looked at some Endeavour builds and seen how they were done and realised it could have been done a little different. I am not sure if the way I have done it is right or wrong, hopefully someone will have the answer, but if you look at some Endeavour builds you will get the idea that these bows really are a challenge and the strakes do take an extreme up turn. What I might change is to start from the keel after the first six strakes from the deck and work my way up. I will pm you and send a picture so you can see what I am trying to explain.

Forty-five mm sounds totally out of the question so you've answered my question right there. By the way I don't see anything wrong with the way you've done it - it looks really good. I just remember going through this with my Victory but I don't think that has nearly the bluff bow of the Endeavour.

Ian

And who was just saying that they screwed the hull up? B)  Well done indeed.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all, Thanks for stopping and adding your likes and comments it's always a good thing.

Since last I have finally finished the lower planking, all went good and I was happy with the results. Then things went a little south on me as I decided to stain her and applied a couple coats of wipe on poly. You can see the results below, after looking at her for sometime I decided it was too dark and sanded it all off. After approx 8-10 hours later the pictures show what I am staying with, yup, a natural finish. This is not the normal way to finish a hull but it does end in a real smooth hull ;) . After sanding with four different grades of sandpaper ( up to 320) I applied one coat of wipe on poly. I applied this with a brush, I know it's wipe on, then sanded in a circular motion with 600 grit until almost dry and starting to ball up then wiped off with a clean rag. I found this method really helps filling the small gaps in and leaves a great finish. This part of the procedure I would repeat again the first part I think is kind of a waste of time :P  :)  and will not recommend to be used

.post-20628-0-15402300-1470681768_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-79477600-1470681790_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-00545300-1470681832_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-58488300-1470681871_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-14971000-1470681899_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-68457700-1470681925_thumb.jpg

Until next time

Thanks Bob, It took hours to get here but I'm happy...I think ;)

Don I love that natural, rich hue. It makes me want to get at my Trabaccolo.

Ian

Thanks Ian, the next part of the planking is going to be interesting as that`s where the scuppers are and that fancy bow

Good Morning Don

Looking brilliant, the color of the timber gives it a real good

natural finish. looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers Chris

Hey Chris, Thanks for stopping by haven't heard from you or the Endeavour for awhile. It's been a little slow around my workshop too lately

Don - I've always liked the varying color in different planks - whether it be the hull or the deck. I like where you're headed!

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Thanks Mike, I'm with you and the wood colouring. I'm not sure what I was doing staining that beautiful wood but I'm much happier now.

Wow Don, that came out beautifully.  Very nice job!  Just out of curiosity, is that walnut or oak?  I'm assuming walnut but just curious.  

Mike

Thanks so much Dave and Mike.

Mike the wood is walnut 1.5 mm x 5 mm