Trabakul by donrobinson - FINISHED - MarisStella - 1:32 scale

Thanks B.E., it's a real honour having you stop by. I must apologise, I have taken one of your little tricks without permission, that is the wrapping of the soon to be removed bulkhead extensions with double sided tape before gluing the strakes on. I will take any corporal punishment that is required for this infraction. :huh:

Don, I just spent my lunch break reading though your build and now I will be sure to follow along. Great job on her so far as she sure is shaping up nicely. It is always impressive how varnish brings out the colors of wood. Instantly takes something from bland and rough looking to a beautiful creation.  :) 

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Thanks E.J., I have always been a big fan of the natural look and usually only use paints and stains for highlights only. So I am still not sure what I was thinking when I applied the stain and two coats of poly only to remove it later. Lesson learned.

I agree Bob and Thanks. What is your shipyard up to these days?

Just taking a short break to get rid of the barnacles then i'm going to start on the Occre Endeavour (at least that's the plan :D)

Edited by Cobr@

I too am a fan of natural wood. Nothing wrong with a good paint job but if I am going to go through all the trouble of making nice wood look good then I want to show it off to it's best which means just clear coats to bring out the natural colors and that is it. I even prefer to use either a flat or at most a satin finish as I've yet to see a glossy tree.  :P 

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

• 1 month later...

Hi Don

If you don't mind me saying what a nice job on the planking.

The colour is just fantastic, I do like the way you have different colours of the planks very nice.

Denis.

great!! looking hull Don....nice job on the planking...

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Good morning all, it's been some time now and I don't really have much to show for it. I'm really not sure how my time has been used as of late but production is very slow in the shipyard, hopefully this will change as the weather cools off.

Since last time I have finished the planking, added the scupper plank upper wale and the rubbing strake

post-20628-0-42575000-1474812345_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-19937200-1474812374_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-55052300-1474812402_thumb.jpg

Here I have marked and measured the scupper openings then cut them out using a 2 mm bit on my mill. As  you can see I just made up a little table for the mill added a fence then just cut the openings free hand. This is so much easier cutting in the scuppers off the ship, good design by MarisStella

post-20628-0-35223600-1474812437_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-18221100-1474812469_thumb.jpg

Clamping and the end result

post-20628-0-63379000-1474812505_thumb.jpg

Shaping the top . 

]post-20628-0-22619900-1474812541_thumb.jpg

Building up the bow

post-20628-0-32243800-1474812569_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-26187800-1474812601_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-33005100-1474812626_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-14640900-1474812651_thumb.jpg

Here the bow is being shaped and the final planks for the upper wale installed. It was at this point I ran into a little snag.....the upper wale plank was supposed to be .5 mm thick and I installed 1.5 mm thick pieces :o  :( . I was thankful that I used not only ca but also weldbond to glue these pieces on so no one method would get the pieces off without major damage ;) . Next option was to sand off 1mm of the strake so, when I finally found my happy face, the sanding begun using a dremel. I suppose I was smiling so much I could not see that I sanded right through it in one spot thus requiring me to glue another piece on in this spot and do some more sanding......by hand.

The good part of all of this is I live in the country with no neighbours close by to hear my "sounds of joy" and my dog has finally returned home. The pictures show the plank before sanding

Next step is painting the rubbing strake and upper wale and the space in between them(not sure of the name for this area) I have begun this I will have some updates hopefully soon.

Take Care and Thanks for stopping by

Edited by donrobinson

I just noticed there are no pictures of the rubbing strake installed so here are some pictures, the painting has just begun with four coats of grey so far and three coats of the blueish black.

post-20628-0-14352500-1474815042_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-25017400-1474815066_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-44204700-1474815093_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-18074200-1474815116_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-58726400-1474815140_thumb.jpg

The paint is just cheap acrylic paint from Michaels, the grey is steel grey and the blue/black is a mixture of midnight blue and black. These are the brushes I used, also from Michaels. I didn't bother to mask as I am not very good at that so there are a couple of little touch ups to be done. The grey still needs a couple of coats and the blue will probably need another 4 or 5 coats

Really nice work Don.  The wood in the MarisStella kits is really beautiful with a natural finish.  

By the way, I blame you for me now working on three builds at the same time :)  

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks Mike, :) . I guess we are even......because I blame you for getting me started on the Pegasus!!

Don, it looks really, really good. I am sure I am going to have to borrow several of your approaches for my Brazzera build. Thanks for showing me the way.

Ian

Hi Bob, Thanks for dropping and for your compliment. It took a little bit of experimenting with the blue but I'm happy with the colours.

Hey Ian, how was the holiday? Your Brazzera will be real similar in many ways, she will be a fun build. These last few planks took a lot of bending, edge bending and surface bending but she finally came together with no major problems other than self inflicted ones

Hi Dave, I finally got a stroke of luck with the wale and it turned out good now with a few coats of paint and the proper photography it should hardly be noticed ;) .

By the way sweet work on your AVS :)

The getaway was great Don. We are stocked up on wine for the next several months! Funny that you should mention bending. I am currently pondering how to bend, edge bend and twist the first interior plank (number 18) to follow the supporting bilge stringer (17.1) at the bow...otherwise known as wood torture.  :(.

Ian

Looking good Don. I will echo many of the others in saying those colors do look great. They compliment each other nicely and even match well with the natural wood on the lower hull.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Thanks for stopping in Denis and Thanks for your comment. It's always appreciated :)

Hey Zoltan, Thanks. Since this morning I've done three coats of blue on port side and one coat of blue on starboard. It's looking like at least two more coats of blue on each side and then probably a couple of coats of grey. Good part about all of this is the little naps in between coats of paint :P  :)

Nice work on the bow Don...shes really shaping up....

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Thanks Frank, it's always so good to have you stop by

Wow Don - what a cool idea for scuppers! That bulwark area adds a lot to the overall appearance.

So - I can blame someone else for 4 builds at one time? :rolleyes:

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Thanks Mike, if you can put the blame on someone else you tend to feel better about yourself ;)  :P