Trabakul by donrobinson - FINISHED - MarisStella - 1:32 scale

post-20628-0-06418900-1476111303_thumb.jpg

Normally waking up to this would have made me sick......but now I am retired so what this means now is more boat building :)  :) . I am fairly sure yard work is done for the season so the shipyard will be in full swing now, hopefully.

I have been fairly busy working on the Trabaccolo although what I have to show does not really show it. I have installed all the wales on both sides and have now started to paint the lower ones. The wales were two strakes of 1.5 x 5 mm(grey) and then 3 strakes of .5 x 5 mm(blue).

The first two strakes of 1.5 mm went on with little problems, the .5 mm strakes required me to do some spiling at the stern and some minor tapering at the bow on the last strake.

post-20628-0-79022900-1476111096_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-50661600-1476111134_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-33663900-1476111223_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-62656500-1476111172_thumb.jpg

The procedure for spiling was to apply tape on top of last strake, trace outline on tape, apply tape to card stock and cut out, then trace outline on veneer and cut with scroll saw. Tape was added to veneer to prevent splintering. I trimmed excess using drum sander on mill, the use of the clip is very helpful when sanding .5 mm stock, it helps prevent it from bending and twisting. Final shaping was done by hand. There was a total of six spiled planks

Edited by donrobinson

post-20628-0-61240000-1476112325_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-04079100-1476112365_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-51937200-1476112392_thumb.jpg

These are showing her with the wales complete and with two coats of paint. Probably three more coats of paint and some touch ups on the hull and I will be able to finally start the planking of the deck and all it's furniture.

Take Care

Look'n real nice Don.....

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Really nice work Don. Thanks for showing the step-by-step procedure, it will come in handy for me. I woke up to snow in Calgary as well and it seems like a pretty good reason to spend more time in the shipyard.

Ian

She sure is looking good! Really like her colors.

Just rain here but unfortunately I am at work which means no ship yard time till tonight. At least I can still use my lunch time to read up on all the fine builds going on out there! :D

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Frank: Thanks so much for stopping in

Ian: Thanks Ian, I tried to edge bend the .5 mm planks but all they did was want to kink just too thin so spiling was the next option. Not hard but a little time consuming and my scroll saw is in the garage which meant actually getting up and getting some exercise walking outside :(  ;)

Hey E.J. thanks for the compliment. Hoping the snow melts this week, I still need to put away lots of summer stuff. If you need any potatoes I still have lots in the garden. :P  :P

Hi Zoltan, I tried something similar to that but I just could not get it to work with the .5mm thick planks. Worked real good with the 1.5 mm thick planks though.

Thanks Bob, that's a good point about the potatoes :D  :D

The build just gets better and better looking!

Had a cold front here today - low=60F/hi=80F  Brrrrr :P

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

I'm with Joe! Every year I hope for a nice dry winter. Snow is bad enough but here we end up with tons of ice which is even worse. Don't get me wrong, I think snow is beautiful. I love seeing it on pictures and in movies from my nice warm house. On the other hand, snow does give me time off work as well so that does mean more ship building..... Hmmm.... May have to rethink my stance on my anti-snow policy. :D

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Hi Don

Just fantastic work my friend what can one say that others have said.

As for the snow you can keep it ha-ha.

I left England to live in NZ so I was not expecting snow or a lot of rain, don't get the snow in Auckland but rain it never stops ha-ha.

Keep up the very good work you are doing.

Denis.

Looking great, Don!  The snow would have made me sick too, but I'm also retired and so it really represents an opportunity to spend more time in the shipyard.  I spent the day yesterday dismantling our garden and doing other yard work.  I'd rather be working on my models!

Thanks Lawrence, hope your holiday was good and you are all rested up and ready to get back at your great build

Hey Mike good of you to stop by, Thanks. Also thanks for the weather update :P  ;)

Good Morning Robin, I promise more build even without more snow :)  :)

Hi Denis, Thanks. There are days I have dreamed of moving too but then what would I do with my shovels, snowblowers, parkas, felt lined boots, toques, mitts  ......... :D  :D

Edited by donrobinson

Thanks Dave. I need just one good day to get my yard ready for winter, the main things are my well pump, mower and getting the golf cart off my front yard :o

You guys can keep the snow.

Are you sure Joe, I don't mind sharing

Hi  

Very nice work donrobinson.

Last year building same ship, Trabakul  from scratch.

I am not sure of your name, but Thanks for the compliment and for the nice pictures of your build, I may ask for more later on if that is ok. What size is she?

Good Morning All,

I have a small update to show, the planking of the deck. Before you start wondering what I am doing not staggering the planks properly this is the first layer of planking. There is another layer of .5 mm planking going on top of the walnut planking you see here. Normally I would not have posted this until it was completed but I needed a break from the sanding and scraping, this layer (1,5 mm) needs to be sanded down by .5 mm so I thought I would post what was done so far. As she sits now I have about half the deck done and will hopefully have that done today. Then second planking then deck furniture.........Finally.

Planks were glued using Weldbond on the edges and a spot of ca on each bulkhead to act as a clamp.

post-20628-0-97905300-1476453171_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-67928500-1476453193_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-79981500-1476453215_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-11954800-1476453242_thumb.jpg

Alright back to sanding and scraping :( .

Oh some real good news for, those interested, Rick Shousha at Modellers Workshop is now a distributor for MarisStella. Check it out at http://modellers-workshop.com/category/maristella-wood-ship-kits/.

Have A Good One

Looking good Don :)

An interesting approach to deck planking, i haven't seen a double planked one before, but once the dreaded sanding is over you will have a nice smooth bed to lay the next lot of planking :)

Hi Bob, This is a first for me also,double planked deck, would be a lot easier sanding had it been a softer wood but the walnut does give much more strength. Another one of MarisStella's excellent additions to their kit designs. 

Hi Don

I noticed the way they have of fixing their bulkheads in alignment looks pretty solid. Makes a nice change to see a manufacturer taking a different approach to designs :) :) :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Don,

you are doing a great work.

Definetly Marisstella kit are not for beginners...

I see the marvellous work you have done on the carrack, too.

I own both these Maristella kits, but I lack dramatically the time for starting them.

If you are looking for more inspiration and informations regarding the Trabaccolo, there are three restored Trabaccoli still existent in Italy (and floating).

They are called "Nuovo Trionfo", "Giovanni Pascoli" and "Isola d'oro".

So if you search images on Google with the keywords "trabaccolo nuovo trionfo", "trabaccolo Giovanni Pascoli" and "trabaccolo Isola d'Oro" you will find a lot of photos and videos about these restored ships.

Eventually can be of inspiration for your work!

Done:          Venetian Polacre http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/7290-venetian-polacre-by-cristiano-sec-xviii-from-original-drawings/

Halifax  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/844-halifax/

Ranger  https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2175-ranger-revenue-cutter-by-corel/   

HM Bark Endeavour (Corel kit heavily kitbashed) : http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/125-hmbark-endeavour-corel-kit-bashed/                                              

Venetian Galleon (from scratch) - Pirate Junk - Sicilian Speronara (from scratch)

On the shelf (still packed):     Artesania Le Hussard....