donrobinson

Trabakul by donrobinson - FINISHED - MarisStella - 1:32 scale

post-20628-0-06418900-1476111303_thumb.jpg

Normally waking up to this would have made me sick......but now I am retired so what this means now is more boat building :)  :) . I am fairly sure yard work is done for the season so the shipyard will be in full swing now, hopefully.

I have been fairly busy working on the Trabaccolo although what I have to show does not really show it. I have installed all the wales on both sides and have now started to paint the lower ones. The wales were two strakes of 1.5 x 5 mm(grey) and then 3 strakes of .5 x 5 mm(blue).

The first two strakes of 1.5 mm went on with little problems, the .5 mm strakes required me to do some spiling at the stern and some minor tapering at the bow on the last strake.

post-20628-0-79022900-1476111096_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-50661600-1476111134_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-33663900-1476111223_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-62656500-1476111172_thumb.jpg

The procedure for spiling was to apply tape on top of last strake, trace outline on tape, apply tape to card stock and cut out, then trace outline on veneer and cut with scroll saw. Tape was added to veneer to prevent splintering. I trimmed excess using drum sander on mill, the use of the clip is very helpful when sanding .5 mm stock, it helps prevent it from bending and twisting. Final shaping was done by hand. There was a total of six spiled planks

She sure is looking good! Really like her colors.

Just rain here but unfortunately I am at work which means no ship yard time till tonight. At least I can still use my lunch time to read up on all the fine builds going on out there! :D

Frank: Thanks so much for stopping in

Ian: Thanks Ian, I tried to edge bend the .5 mm planks but all they did was want to kink just too thin so spiling was the next option. Not hard but a little time consuming and my scroll saw is in the garage which meant actually getting up and getting some exercise walking outside :(  ;)

I'm with Joe! Every year I hope for a nice dry winter. Snow is bad enough but here we end up with tons of ice which is even worse. Don't get me wrong, I think snow is beautiful. I love seeing it on pictures and in movies from my nice warm house. On the other hand, snow does give me time off work as well so that does mean more ship building..... Hmmm.... May have to rethink my stance on my anti-snow policy. :D

Hi Don

Just fantastic work my friend what can one say that others have said.

As for the snow you can keep it ha-ha.

I left England to live in NZ so I was not expecting snow or a lot of rain, don't get the snow in Auckland but rain it never stops ha-ha.

Keep up the very good work you are doing.

Denis.

Looking great, Don!  The snow would have made me sick too, but I'm also retired and so it really represents an opportunity to spend more time in the shipyard.  I spent the day yesterday dismantling our garden and doing other yard work.  I'd rather be working on my models!

Hi  

Very nice work donrobinson.

Last year building same ship, Trabakul  from scratch.

I am not sure of your name, but Thanks for the compliment and for the nice pictures of your build, I may ask for more later on if that is ok. What size is she?

Good Morning All,

I have a small update to show, the planking of the deck. Before you start wondering what I am doing not staggering the planks properly this is the first layer of planking. There is another layer of .5 mm planking going on top of the walnut planking you see here. Normally I would not have posted this until it was completed but I needed a break from the sanding and scraping, this layer (1,5 mm) needs to be sanded down by .5 mm so I thought I would post what was done so far. As she sits now I have about half the deck done and will hopefully have that done today. Then second planking then deck furniture.........Finally.

Planks were glued using Weldbond on the edges and a spot of ca on each bulkhead to act as a clamp.

post-20628-0-97905300-1476453171_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-67928500-1476453193_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-79981500-1476453215_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-11954800-1476453242_thumb.jpg

Alright back to sanding and scraping :( .

Oh some real good news for, those interested, Rick Shousha at Modellers Workshop is now a distributor for MarisStella. Check it out at http://modellers-workshop.com/category/maristella-wood-ship-kits/.

Have A Good One

Hello Don,

you are doing a great work.

Definetly Marisstella kit are not for beginners...

I see the marvellous work you have done on the carrack, too.

I own both these Maristella kits, but I lack dramatically the time for starting them.

If you are looking for more inspiration and informations regarding the Trabaccolo, there are three restored Trabaccoli still existent in Italy (and floating).

They are called "Nuovo Trionfo", "Giovanni Pascoli" and "Isola d'oro".

So if you search images on Google with the keywords "trabaccolo nuovo trionfo", "trabaccolo Giovanni Pascoli" and "trabaccolo Isola d'Oro" you will find a lot of photos and videos about these restored ships.

Eventually can be of inspiration for your work!