Trabakul by donrobinson - FINISHED - MarisStella - 1:32 scale

Don, question for you as you are progressing on this build. I have been considering a Maristella kit. Several have caught my eye. It appears that some have a complete interior like your Trabakul and some do not. It would sound like doing an interior is a cool thing, but I have to wonder, after hull and deck is planked how much of the interior is visible?

Just asking because I had ruled out a few kits that do not appear to have the interior.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Hi Mike, on mine there will be a main hatch and two smaller ones fore and aft. I am thinking the main hatch will show a fair amount of the interior the two smaller ones maybe a bit more limited as they have companion ways on them. If things work out (and they rarely do) I should be cutting open the deck by the end of the week and will have a better idea. I will be sure to post as soon as I cut the deck open so you can see for yourself.

It is in my opinion what will be seen will look nice and add to the looks of the overall ship. And besides an extra layer of planking is always a fun thing :P  ;)

Thanks Don - I appreciate the feedback. I guess I will continue to rule out those kits without the interior.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Hello Don,

you are doing a great work.

Definetly Marisstella kit are not for beginners...

I see the marvellous work you have done on the carrack, too.

I own both these Maristella kits, but I lack dramatically the time for starting them.

If you are looking for more inspiration and informations regarding the Trabaccolo, there are three restored Trabaccoli still existent in Italy (and floating).

They are called "Nuovo Trionfo", "Giovanni Pascoli" and "Isola d'oro".

So if you search images on Google with the keywords "trabaccolo nuovo trionfo", "trabaccolo Giovanni Pascoli" and "trabaccolo Isola d'Oro" you will find a lot of photos and videos about these restored ships.

Eventually can be of inspiration for your work!

Thanks so much Christiano for stopping in and for your compliments. I will check out those sites and Thanks for that also. I see you have a few MarisStella kits in your stash, they really are great kits. I have the Stefano, that is started and the Pasara which is still on the shelf there is still room on the shelf for the Liburnian Monoreme and the Saint Jerome ;)  :) . Now that winter is almost here I hope to do more work on my ships and to actually make some real progress.

Good Day All, Thanks for all your gracious comments, likes and checking things out. Not much has changed other than scraping, sanding, planking and painting :P . I did a little cheating when I planked the bulwarks, rather than using the planking strips I cut and shaped veneer strips. I did this as I knew I was painting and to go from five planks at the bow to three at midships seemed like a lot of work that was not necessary. With the painting and stanchions placed every 15 mm the illusion of separate planks would have been hidden at any rate.

After bulwarks were planked the scuppers then needed to be re-cut. I did this using a 1 mm end mill bit in my rotary tool followed by some filing with a needle file and the other thing I can't remember the name of right now  :(  :huh:  :angry: .

Next up is the final planking of the deck :) :)  :)  :)  :) on top of the .5 mm planking goes a central plank and after that I will be happy to see that all planking on this ship will be finished.

Not much to see but I hope you enjoy

post-20628-0-39745900-1477338532_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-78444700-1477339841_thumb.jpg

post-20628-0-58500000-1477338563_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-27493000-1477338592_thumb.jpg

post-20628-0-81115100-1477338646_thumb.jpg

]post-20628-0-95489300-1477338673_thumb.jpg

Mystery tool is the second from bottom :huh:

post-20628-0-32649800-1477338707_thumb.jpg 

Thanks Bob, hopefully when the time comes the first cut will be the right cut

Hey Dave, that's what I was looking for "riffle file". Not only do I need reminder notes for myself now I need name tags on my tools :)  ;)

It is starting to look like you are getting closer to the home stretch. Looking really good Don. I'm panelling the bulkheads on Brazzera, dreaming of when I can start the outside hull planking.

Best, Ian

Thanks Ian it's good to hear from you. It's funny that you are looking forward to starting planking and I'm sooooooooooo looking forward to finishing. The scary part now is to mark the hatches masts and etc. on the planking and hope that my measurements are correct. This where the accuracy of the MarisStella plans will really prove themselves. 

I still have not seen a build log for your Brazzera yet. ;)

Thanks Lawrence, it has been slow here lately I think it is the lack of sunshine we have only had one day of sunshine since Oct 4. I may have to install a sunbed in order to pick up the pace around here

Thanks Zoltan, hopefully the next layer turns out

Great looking deck Don..... I agree with Bob( cutting the deck up)... you gotta do what you gotta do!!! :P

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Thanks Frank. So far I have cut the holes for the two masts and the two bits. The main hatch and the two smaller ones are not supposed to be cut out until the final planking is done. I am trying to think what the advantage is to wait until planking is done, if I do it now it would a lot easier to repair any mistakes I am liable to make. So now it has been a staring game, trying to figure out what to do next. :huh:  :huh:

I would try to make all my cuts now before the final planking. Mostly cause like you said, if you mess up on something it will be easier to cover up and fix with that final planking layer. They probably just recommend waiting so you only have to cut one time through two layers instead on multiple cuts.

That deck does look great! :)

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Hi Don!  I'd cut the subdeck now.  Fitting those parts is critical, especially the centering and setting the rake of the masts.  It's much easier to do now, so even if you have to redo or make adjustments, the final planking will cover over any "modifications" you had to make!  ;)

Hello All, Thanks to all those who have stopped in, given likes and for all the compliments. 

With this post you may have the idea I am stalling on cutting open and planking my deck..............you are right!! But it hasn't been a total waste I have accomplished a little. 

post-20628-0-22819200-1478213549_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-05068600-1478213589_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-10220500-1478213612_thumb.jpg

Here I am making the porthole covers for the forward hatch, Simply a walnut dowel drilled out, then shaped with a sanding stick then parted(the wire is held in place to stop the piece from flying away)

post-20628-0-49652400-1478213909_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-09805800-1478213939_thumb.jpg

I apologise for the lack of pictures but here it is almost complete with covers attached. The trim is walnut from the kit then finished with cherry. The front step was an addition I added as the height of the ledge would have been almost two feet, much too high when one's belly is full of grog or probably wine in the Adriatic  :)  

post-20628-0-14261700-1478213828_thumb.jpg

Here I have laminated some 1.5 x 5 mm cherry then cut to size for the doors. Also I have made the hinges still needing some cleaning up and paint.

post-20628-0-06734800-1478214475_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-89645500-1478214495_thumb.jpg

Doors attached and working. I first tried brushing on wipe on poly but not paying attention I broke off a door. After repairing door I decided that spraying was a safer option, so it has four coats in this picture

Edited by donrobinson

That's beautiful!  ....bordering cute. :P

A lot of skill went into that little thingie!

Robin :)

WIP: No ships atm...sorry!🙄

Completed: Greek bireme - Dusek - scale 1:72

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."

Here is the last little bit for today the aft hatch, again there is a lack of pictures. Not sure what I was thinking this past week but it certainly wasn't about photography :(  :)

post-20628-0-71512700-1478215373_thumb.jpg

in this picture it is finished but I wasn't happy with how it looked. Where top meets up with the frame just did not look finished and I never noticed the chip in the front panel until it was too late............so here is my fix

post-20628-0-40675600-1478215256_thumb.jpg

post-20628-0-22808800-1478215151_thumb.jpg

Added a handle and another step.............it's step week :P  :P . I think it looks ok, then I sprayed it with four coats of satin varathane.

post-20628-0-02763500-1478215889_thumb.jpg

And the ladders for both hatches, both made from all kit material. I have cleaned off that piece of dust on the one rung after seeing this picture :). These also have been sprayed four times

So I guess it's now time for the deck, or I could do the masts :D  :D

Thanks for stopping in

Later

Hahahaha, You have a good point there Robin. I'll maybe re-think my strategy :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Thanks Denis, I appreciate you stopping in

Nice work on the hatches, doors and steps. The cherry looks great.

Best, Ian

Thanks Ian, the kit supplied wood for the deck is cherrywood so I am thinking it should it should all come together nicely

Thanks Zoltan, cherry is a real nice wood to work with and looks good too. It is reasonably priced compared to other woods which also gives it another bonus. Congrats on the house purchase, are you planning on having a full blown workshop in the basement(power tools etc.)?

Thanks Zoran. I am going over the plans and I see what you are pointing out and I knew it was supposed to be like that, not sure where the heck my mind is some days :angry:  . So before I get too mad at myself and start tearing things apart I am getting dressed, going to the store and buying a pack of smokes(trying to quit) coming home and have a drink or two and a few smokes to calm down :)  :) maybe then I'll come up with a solution to this.

Thanks for pointing this out.  :)  ;)

Incredible work Don! I love all the small details you put in there and working hinges also! Nicely done. That kind of work more than makes up for you putting off the important deck work.... ;)

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Thanks E.J., I'm always happy to hear your comments. I think it is time to do the decking now and get it behind me, one step closer to the masts and rigging then. :)