Benjamin W Latham by sideliner - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1/4"=1' - kit ms2109

Just a short update.  Have not posted since July but have made some progress.  Raised the masts and constructed booms and gaffs.  Slowdown due to trying to hand make chain plates.  Have had some good suggestions but not satisfied with my work.  Finally found some ready made chain plates at www.hobbyworldinc.com.  Perfect for 1:48 scale. Now installing them and preparing to start rigging.  Will post pics as I progress

Mel

• 4 weeks later...

Have you tried Casey's brass black? Also Vallejo's black paint covers well and dries flat.

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

• 2 months later...

Well here it is in Feb. 2017.  Just a note to say I'm back on build.  Finding rigging very tedious and constantly referring to research to find out "how to" article. I'm working on shrouds and chain plates.  I have been obsessing about trying to make every thing look like showroom fit.  Looked at old pics of schooners and saw that their dead eyes are not all even and Bristol neat. Doing the best I can until I get more experience. Main booms rigged and laying on deck.  Gaff booms built and waiting to rig.

post-21630-0-89324600-1486761693.jpg

post-21630-0-49643900-1486762175.jpg

post-21630-0-52949500-1486762358.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hello folks

Well I am posting a few pics of, what for me, is the completed Benjamin L.  I deviated in a lot of areas for several reasons.  Limited illustrations, confusing drawings, missing metal parts, and just stuff I thought looked better.  For me the hardest parts were the rigging, especially the chain plates and pin rail lashings. Some of difficulty was because I did not follow the build schedule closely.  For instance, lashing the pin rails is deadly if you have to work around the mast shrouds.  Many thanks to builders that preceded mine, especially Gary Kapp.. I found a photo on Heritage Auctions web site of the Benjamin L and used it as a guide for rigging. 

DSC_0991BL.jpg

DSC_0997BL.jpg

DSC_1001BL.jpg

DSC_1002BL.jpg

On 11.5.2017 at 10:59 PM, sideliner said:

Hello folks

Well I am posting a few pics of, what for me, is the completed Benjamin L.  I deviated in a lot of areas for several reasons.  Limited illustrations, confusing drawings, missing metal parts, and just stuff I thought looked better.  For me the hardest parts were the rigging, especially the chain plates and pin rail lashings. Some of difficulty was because I did not follow the build schedule closely.  For instance, lashing the pin rails is deadly if you have to work around the mast shrouds.  Many thanks to builders that preceded mine, especially Gary Kapp.. I found a photo on Heritage Auctions web site of the Benjamin L and used it as a guide for rigging. 

DSC_0991BL.jpg

DSC_0997BL.jpg

DSC_1001BL.jpg

DSC_1002BL.jpg

Beautiful built schooner Mel,

nice color giving, well done !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks for the encouragement.  I will not put this one in a case because of lack of space and , I believe,  not of sufficient quality. This was my first serious venture into plank on hull modeling.. This was a difficult model to build.  The gentleman I purchased it from said that he had had several purchases returned for an easier build.   I am waiting for my next  kit, Cazador(Xebec) by Occre.  I plan to use knowledge gained on Latham to do better.  I have seen an excellent build log on the Xebec, so I am not sure if I should do a build log. Any opinions of multiple build logs on same model?

Sideliner

• 1 month later...

Hello out there

As an afterthought I decided to take a shot at building the Latham Seine Boat.  I don't believe I have seen anyone recently trying this.  What I finished with is probably like no seine boat on earth.  The instructions are limited and somewhat difficult to follow. Instructions say to cover hull former with water soaked( 24 hours) basswood 1/32x1/16 in.  If I built again, I would use wider strips to keep glue from sticking to hull former.  No way to clamp such fragile wood pDSC_1003dory1.jpg.75e8b31be8b318054bc293a101e11ddb.jpgDSC_1005dory2.jpg.7cc39eac5deaf0f9d60636ee3bcab25e.jpgDSC_1006dory3.jpg.e2758149ec9f622caa50af87bf1cc2d1.jpgDSC_1007dory5.jpg.8524c7d58e21a2b416b19b4a1ee7c1c6.jpgDSC_1008dory4.jpg.a55696c2e2ec8d8fb9a2ff5c0a140756.jpgcs, so had to use instant adhesive for entire model.  I need training on applying this stuff.  Unfortunately I accidentally erased my build log, but have included a few shots of finished boat.  Trying to decide if I should mount it with the ship itself..

Getting ready to start on Xebec