Independence 1775 by DocBlake - Artesania Latina - 5/16" scale.

Just caught up with your build log. It looks magnificent, I love those contrasting woods. It reminds me of exquisite marquetry. 

As for a name for your ship, you could name it after your wife. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Thanks, Keith!

I finished two of the four lights I need for the transom.  The technique is pretty simple.  here's a link to the page in my AVS log that explains it: 

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10979-armed-virginia-sloop-patrick-henry-by-docblake-finished-lauck-street-shipyard-scale-132-pof-admiralty-style/page-15

post-3900-0-42261200-1483802977_thumb.jpg

Here's a shot of the transom temporarily held in place by a rubber band.  The original stamped metal transom had an elaborate carved arch on it.  I think that is overkill for a very small vessel that began life as a merchantman.  Simpler is better.  I plan two horizontal moldings of boxwood one above and one below the lights.  I may also add a boxwood "trim piece" as decoration.  The second photo shows how Clayton Feldman handled the problem of a simple transom

post-3900-0-75637700-1483818231_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-43123800-1483818255.jpg

I agree that the carved work is better left off or at least minimized. I like the idea of the arch board over the windows, but this is a purely artistic idea. It is your ship.

Russ

I'm at a decision point regarding the stern of the ship.  I'm wrestling with the question of whether to add quarter badges or not.  Obviously "Halifax" had quarter badges with pretty elaborate carvings, but "Hannah" did not.  "Chaleur" had small parallelogram shaped lights, but no carvings, and even "Sultana" had quarter badges.  Any opinions on which way to go?

Hey Dave, all is looking real nice. Without any carvings on the transom I think I would skip any quarter badges. Some lights would probably look good, and would be interesting to watch you build and install them ;)  :) . If you were thinking of carvings possibly the ones Chuck(NRG) is offering could be fashioned to fit, obviously not the crown but the viney things. At $5 a set it may be worth a try, and if they don't work at least you have gained a little carving experience. 

Here is the transom glued in place.  I used epoxy.  I made some molding out of boxwood using my Artesania Latina scrapers.  There will be two horizontal strips across the entire transom.  One below the windows and one above.  I haven't worked out what else I may include back there yet.

post-3900-0-12030200-1484322648_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-45668200-1484322662_thumb.jpg

Looks real good Dave. The mouldings should give it that little extra. How do you like that scraper? It looks like it does a nice job

Thanks Dave. I know you mentioned it somewhere but did you get those from micromark?

I planked the inboard surface of the transom with red heart.  I'll trim it to final size tomorrow.  I also drew up the design and cut out the boxwood fascia that will decorate the transom.  This is similar to what was installed on my Patrick Henry AVS. Lastly, I installed all the bulwark frames.  These are 3mm X 2mm boxwood pieces.

post-3900-0-92966300-1484349240_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-63826700-1484349252_thumb.jpg

Hi Doc! Regarding quarter badges for the ship I would say yes she should have them or at least I would add them. Reason is 1 most ships at that time with a quarterdeck had them in the cabin and also the Halifax and similar type ships were all standard merchant schooners which were converted for battle so they all had that apple shape heavy design vs the other type of ship the Bermuda sloop or other sloops and galleys which would have probably lacked such a cabin space.

Aside from that regarding name there are a few options if you are looking for one. There were two Independence's active at the same time the 1776 Rhode Island sloop of 8 guns and the 1776 Massachusetts brigantine of 10 guns. Neither really fit a Halifax/Sultana style schooner however no measurements are on record so nothing against naming her Independence.

Hahn's colonial schooner book mentions a list of armed schooners employed at that time Hope, S Lawrence, Gaspey, Magdalen, Chaleur and St John. I imagine many of these looked like Chaleur or maybe Edward Hawke (the Marblehead schooner). Gaspee is depicted in Millar's book on the Continental Navy looking something similar to the schooner Baltick or Franklin. He also shows a few other schooners in that book of similar lines to your kit. Not exact but these are of course all conjecture. That said ive seen a version of Gaspee using either the kit or Halifax and it looked rather nice. Some pics below :)

post-15936-0-96805900-1484365670_thumb.jpg

post-15936-0-83723200-1484365673_thumb.jpg

post-15936-0-62778200-1484365674.jpg

Build on hold: HM Sultana 1/64th scale

Current Build: 31 ton Doughty revenue cutter as USRC Active 1/64th scale (in progress)

Future Interests: Ballahoo, Diligence, Halifax and beyond...

Those micro shapers look great Dave - easier than having to create my own shapers, thanks for the recommendation!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I installed the moldings and the fascia to the transom.  I still need to do some treenailing back there and install the taff rail, but the rail will come after the main rails are fitted to the bulwarks.  The transom is jazzed up a bit, but still relatively simple for this small, converted merchantman.  I think I like the look as it is and won't add any more to it.

post-3900-0-80630800-1484494222_thumb.jpg

Edited by DocBlake

That looks real nice Dave, those mouldings certainly add to the look, once rail is on she will be so sweet. As usual Great Work Dave!! :)

I ordered both sets of micro shapers too.  Never knew those were out there, and saves me from trying to file out patterns on blades.  

Dave, did you make a decision on the quarter badges yet?  Personally, I'd add them if you think they would be historically accurate (from Charlie's post, seems like they would be).  Like the stern ornamentation, I think quarter badges add a neat little decorative touch and a lot of character to the model.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

There is also a mention of an Independence in Edgar Stanton Maclay's, "A History of American Privateers" published in 1899.  On page 71 he states, "The 6-gun schooner Independence, Captain Nichols, in September, 1776, captured six vessels; ".  No mention of where it sailed from.

Apparently, there were a lot of privateers with non-unique names at that time.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

I've seen that reference also, Ken.  No other information on "Independence" exists as far as I know.  But there must have been at least a dozen colonial schooners that we have no record of, maybe more.  Any name might be appropriate!

Edited by DocBlake

• 2 weeks later...

I completed two sets of bitts - one for each mast - and the ship's belfry (which also has running rigging belayed to it). I also finished the quarterdeck stairs.  The plans call for a stairway on each side between the gun ports as well as boarding steps on the exterior hull above the wales.  Neither Halifax, Sultana nor Chaleur had this feature, so I'm not adding the boarding stairs to this model, either!   Next are the elm tree pumps, the catheads and the cannons.

post-3900-0-19632600-1485203759_thumb.jpg

Edited by DocBlake

I'm trying to decide what wood to use fashioning the catheads .  My choices are boxwood, Rosewood, swiss pear or the stock walnut.  Here are two photos of the deck furniture set in place.  What do you all think?  I'm leaning rosewood vs. boxwood.

post-3900-0-04551600-1485277598_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-93964400-1485277612_thumb.jpg

Great work on the deck furniture. 

Where did you get the bell? 

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Thanks, guys.  The bell came with the kit - I just redesigned and rebuilt the belfry.  As to the catheads, since the deck is bowood, I'd like a little more contrast.  The quarterdeck and poop deck railings are going to be rosewood, so maybe having the catheads rose wood is too much.  I'm leaning toward the swiss pear.