Independence 1775 by DocBlake - Artesania Latina - 5/16" scale.

• 3 weeks later...
I decided I needed to punch up the stern on "Clio" (Independence).  It looked kind of pale and vanilla.  I added vertical beaded molding made of rosewood between the lights.  I think it highlights the windows and ties them in with the quarter badges.   The photos show the comparison.

I added the gudgeons and pintles and mounted (temporarily) the rudder.  I finished the channels.  I'm ready to start the quarter deck/poop deck railings and swivel gun mounts.  Then it's glue all the deck furniture in place and start rigging!

cliostern.jpg

newstern2.JPG

badge1.JPG

newstern.JPG

That moulding looks great Dave, and a fine job on the rudder also. Looking forward to seeing the rigging to start

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the current status of this build.  All the deck furniture has been glued in place except the tiller, which hasn't got any poly yet either.  I just completed the railings, and I still have to build the cannon carriages, swivel guns and swivel gun supports before I start rigging.  The masts and sprit are just sitting in place.

indy1.JPG

indy2.JPG

indy3.JPG

indy4.JPG

indy5.JPG

indy6.JPG

Hi Dave,

Your model is looking absolutely beautiful.

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

Looks great Dave, time now to start making rope and begin rigging!!:D

Edited by donrobinson

Just catching up Dave.

She looking lovely mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Lovely work Dave,

a beautiful built ship !!

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all for the kind comments and the "likes".

I just returned from the NRG conference and I made an interesting discovery in the Exhibit Hall.  An aftermarket fix for the horrible stamped metal transom and quarter badges that come with the kit!  I spend a fair amount of time rebuilding these areas, and while I'm happy with the results, this would have made the job far easier.  Only $10.00!

The transom piece is reversible so you don't have to use the name "Independence".  Available at traintroll.com.  Quarter badge windows included!

Well worth it if you plan to build this model!

indytransom.jpg

Edited by DocBlake

I have not had an opportunity to post this new kit to my website. For those interested in the Transom Kit, the cost plus postage (within the US) is $13.95. Contact me at sales@traintroll.com and I'll send you a PayPal invoice. Thanks!

Edited by andysmall

• 2 weeks later...

I finished the swivel gun supports.  Classically these would have been painted black, but I made them out of boxwood and kind of like the look.  For the metal reinforcing bands at the top, I cut a shallow kerf in all 4 sides and CA'd some black rigging thread in the kerf.  I used the same technique to make the cannon reinforcing rings in my Battle Station model.  Two HO gauge railroad spikes were glued in to simulate bolts holding the supports in place.  I only did six supports, 3 per side, leaving off the last ones on the poop deck and the two in the fo'c'sle.  The deck and rails are getting crowded!

The supports need poly and the bulwark planking needs to be touched up.  I scraped the poly off the planking before gluing the supports in place.

swiv.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave,

I really like launching ways to display a model and am always on the look out for designs myself. There seem to be mostly ugly ones out there and for my money I think it's hard to beat the design with the the Armed Virginia Sloop and I mean the one in the photograph, not the one described in the instructions - oddly enough they aren't the same. Bob gives very good instructions on building the photographed version in his practicum. There is a launching ways with my Prince de Neufchatel as well. It's different from the AVS, but I think it's an attractive option too. The instructions for it are a bit sketchy, but at least they match the pictures. I'm planning on using this design for this model. The stock for the AVS was 1/4" and the stock for this one is 3/16". The pictures below aren't very clear, but I think sufficient to get the idea.

David

img018.jpg

img019.jpg

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

Launching ways done well look really nice but I have seen some that kind of look out of place under a really nice model. 

Although I'm not a huge fan of launching ways, I think they look real cool when there is a bit of a diorama built along with it.

Forgot to say your ship is looking fabulous, Dave

Thanks guys!  David: I kind of like the Prince de Neufchâtel ways.  It’s a model expo kit and they usually include instructions and options to purchase plans at the website.  I can’t find the model there at all.  Is it out of production? Do you have downloaded instructions?

Dave

Caught up on the build, beautiful build neat, clean and pristine!;)

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Hi Dave,

The Prince de Neufchatel is a discontinued kit. I'm not sure why, I think it's a particularly beautiful ship. I found this kit on ebay. I do have the instructions for the launching ways. I'm not sure how your model compares in size to this one, so you might have to adapt slightly. It seems to me that the key measurement is getting the best slope for the particular model. They suggest a 3/4" rise over a 24" length for this model; it might be different for yours. But I imagine it would be pretty easy to eyeball it. I'll pm the instructions to you.

David

• 4 weeks later...

great looking schooner model Dave,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks guys!

After a lot of hand wringing I decided to go with traditional brass pedestals mounted on a walnut board for my display stand.   I ran into a little problem in that my keel is a little off of dead vertical and when I mounted the model there was a definite, noticeable dip to starboard.  I took the pedestals off and beveled their bases a bit until the model sat straight.  Now I can begin rigging!

stand1.JPG

stand2.JPG

stand3.JPG

Edited by DocBlake

Dave-

Model looks great on the stand.  I had the same problem with not catching a slight from dead vertical on my Rattlesnake.  I have some brass shim under one side of one of the pedestals.  It has been there around 8 years.  I think no one has noticed.  You've definitely compensated perfectly.

Dave

Current builds:

Wingnut Wings AMC DH9

Model Shipways 1/48 Longboat

Model Shipways 1/24 Grand Banks Dory

Soon to start:

Fully framed Echo

Completed builds:

East Coast Oyster Sharpie

Echo Cross Section

1/48 Scratchbuilt Hannah from Hahn plans

1/64 Kitbashed Rattlesnake from Bob Hunt practicum

1/64 Brig Supply

Thanks, guys!

Dave: If you look REALLY closely you can see that the base of the pedestal has a definite taper to it.  It's "thinner" on the port side.  The photos show the difference.  I don't think the casual observer would notice unless I pointed it out.

ped1.JPG

ped2.JPG