Timeline of kit releases

Jaggy

Has anyone ever compiled a timeline of kit releases? I occasionally see references to various manufacturers and inevitably "there new kits are excellent" but I've no idea when this new leaf was turned. I'm was browsing the kit DB on this site and found myself wishing for the release year. Some kits predate cad, and maybe laser cutting, and others are entirely cutting edge.

In the absence of a list, could those of you in the know moninate the 5 most modern offerings on the market? From what I've read the Russian Brig Mercury is probably one of these- what else is cutting edge? How does the Caldercraft Diana compare?

Someone must have a spreadsheet showing each manufacturer and the list of their kits showing scale and date of inception? If not, we should make one!  I have been wondering about the history of the hobby. It should be possible to fit every kit ever issued onto one spreadsheet, its a finite number and a low number compared to other types of kits like tanks of aircraft.

Niagara USS Constitution 

Someone must have a spreadsheet showing each manufacturer and the list of their kits showing scale and date of inception? If not, we should make one!  I have been wondering about the history of the hobby. It should be possible to fit every kit ever issued onto one spreadsheet, its a finite number and a low number compared to other types of kits like tanks of aircraft.

You've not seen this:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/4339-announcing-the-model-ship-world-ship-kit-database-project/   No dates though.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Has anyone ever compiled a timeline of kit releases? I occasionally see references to various manufacturers and inevitably "there new kits are excellent" but I've no idea when this new leaf was turned. I'm was browsing the kit DB on this site and found myself wishing for the release year. Some kits predate cad, and maybe laser cutting, and others are entirely cutting edge.

In the absence of a list, could those of you in the know moninate the 5 most modern offerings on the market? From what I've read the Russian Brig Mercury is probably one of these- what else is cutting edge? How does the Caldercraft Diana compare?

Anything by Chuck... Syren, Confederacy, Pinnac, Longboat and the the ME Mayflower.. not sure about the last.   Also Dusek and Maristella are bringing out new ones.   VictoryModels has the Revenge.  There's others I'm sure... but that's just off the top of my head.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Speaking of Mercury - it's on the way. Shipped yesterday from the UK.  I don't have a lot to compare it to - I've not seen too many models. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out with the 2 kits I have on hand - Niagara and Rattlesnake.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Amati/Victory or maybe it's Victory/Amati.

I picked the kit up from Cornwall Model Boats. It is much cheaper than anywhere in the states (even with shipping) and last weekend they had an additional %5 off.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo