REVENGE by John Maguire - Amati/Victory Models - build in the Cougar Mountain Shipyard

Hi Kurt

I stopped my build of the Revenge as I have had to re paint my house, now we are getting ready to move in the new year.

Hope to start again when everything has been sorted out in the new house.

Denis.

• 2 weeks later...

Merry Christmas, dear friends .  .  .

Kurt, Mike, Denis, Joe & Doc, thank you for your kind comments. All is well at the Cougar Mtn Shipyard. We even had snow flurries on Christmas eve, unusual for Seattle. I am 900 feet up a 1400 foot hill and that helps.

I need to browse all of your posts and get caught up on what is going on. Denis, you can post a picture of one side of your house.

The fourth jongle was put in place and both edges of the uppermost jongle have been planked aft, port and stbd. The spell checker doesn't like some of these nautical terms!

Nothing exciting, just a strake section, glue, clamp, wait for it to set and then repeat the process.

post-661-0-93671200-1482796734_thumb.jpg

post-661-0-26361700-1482796761_thumb.jpg

post-661-0-26911800-1482796784_thumb.jpg

All looks tight so hopefully it will sand out well. I need to experiment with a patch of this planking and see if I can use sanding sealer as well as poly or rubbed effect varnish. I still intend to use flat white for the under water hull area.

This is what I have on hand. I would appreciate comments on what would be appropriate as an undercoat for both the painted and the stain/varnish area.

post-661-0-27633800-1482797317_thumb.jpg

Respectfully,

John

Hi John- the planking is coming together! Here's a link on those minwax products. The pre-stain is to prep the wood before you stain for an even application of stain. The sanding sealer would be more appropriate to prep the wood for paint and not used before staining. Hope this helps.

http://www.minwax.com/how-to-finish-wood/wood-preparation/

Steve

Hi John

I am not sure what you are talking about re side of house.

I take it you are talking about the Helmsman's canopy ?????.

Denis.

post-303-0-96492500-1483153721.jpg

post-303-0-66499000-1483153746.jpg

post-303-0-34792100-1483153761.jpg

• 1 month later...

Are you back in the shipyard John? Good to hear from you again

Edited by donrobinson

It looks like you're almost there with the planking! Keep up the good work!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Don: I replied to this post incorrectly last night  and it "bounced"! Let me PASTE it here:

It is GREAT to hear from you.

I have additional interests and have decided to attempt to liquidate some toys that I realistically don’t think I will use. I have hung on to those kits under the guise of pride of ownership. I see some directions in which I’d like to move and the sale of those kits would propel me.

All is well out here. I have simply been doing other things for awhile.

Respectfully,
John

Additionally, I have just photographed both kits and as soon as this is posted will go back to the two kit for sale offerings and add the photos.

I wish you well in your new interests, but I hope you still come back once in awhile with some updates on the Revenge, as she is worthy of completion even if it means a couple of years or more.

Take Care

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I sure hope not cause I want to know where he got those beautiful brass clamps.

Dwight

current build : Fair America by Model Shipways

Completed Build : 18th Century Armed Longboat by Model Shipways Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Under the bench : Syren by Model Shipways ,, Rattlesnake by Model Shipways