HM Brig Supply by Telp - Caldercraft - 1:64

I was not going to open a build log until I physically started building the ship, however I wanted to open it now as I am currently doing my inventory check on the kit and have had to mail Jotika for a couple of bits to be sent, basically the rudder hinges and brackets. So today really is day 1 as such which sets a date for myself.

On first views, I can really see a difference in quality from my previous build attempt with Endeavours longboat which I am hoping to finish at the weekend.The eye opener has to be the build plans, they are totally huge, although they really are something to look at, for me in my small space they are slightly too big, but I am not complaining though as they are quality items and hopefully Jotika will add the supply to their on-line plans system on their site where the prints can be printed on to A3.

Ok now the headbanging, I am doing an inventory on the parts and right now it is a second language, thankfully I am working out the parts slowley and have lablled the plastic bags so I do not make any mistakes in the future, I think I know what the little metal wings are that look like mini batman symbols. I am going to seek a lot of help I think as I am so use to written instructions telling me what to do rather than follow print instructions, although during my days as an aircraft painter I did follow paint plans but they are nowhere near this level.

Thanks to Frank I am reading the beginners planking tutorials and better ways to do things and on this build I am hoping to learn the art of bow and stern blocks. So bear with me all, I shall get things up and running ASAP and if anyone has any advance warnings as to what not to do before I move on it will be appreciated as I am working on the idea that you start at sheet 1 and work to sheet 6. I have seen some superb looking Supply builds on this site and although matching them is a distant dream, they really have given me something to work to in respect of taking my time and doing things as best as I can.

Regards

Terry

Current build: Caldercraft 1:64 HM Brig Supply

Finished builds: HMS Endeavours longboat

Nice to see you've started a build log.....looking forward to your progress, just take your time and have fun building her!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Telp - looking forward to your build. Good luck.

Have sent you a message concerning rudder hinges.

Completed: HM Brig Supply - JoKita / Caldercraft 1:64

HMS Fly - Caldercraft 1:64

HMS Sherborne - Caldercraft 1:64

HM Brig Flirt - Vanguard 1:64

Terry

I ended up making my own pintles & gudgeons (rudder hinges) for my HMB Supply. See link below. Good luck with your build

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/4679-the-kit-bashers-guide-to-the-galaxy/page-5

Steve

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Thanks Gents, after a few mishaps with my longboat build caused by rushing I will take it slow, quite looking forwards to it, I know the wife is as it gets me in the garage for hours on end.

Good luck with your build! I will follow.

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Well, after finishing the Longboat my impatience got the better of me and the Supply box was initiated, so far I have mounted the 1st section onto a straight board so that I can this time get things symmetric, unlike my Longboat build where I never realised and put it together sitting on my lap. Work is heavy now so I will do what I can as and when so to speak.

In the meantime, can anyone advise on the best wood to create the bow profiles with, I have heard that some Balsa does not go well with PVA glue, my aim is to make life as simple as possible when I start the planking.

Regards for now.

Terry

Do you have other types of glue? From what I've heard, balsa is a lot easier to work with, and is good for making stern and bow blocks.

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Terry - look forward to your build log.  I used balsa fillers on my current 'Jason' build, it is easy to work with.  Remember that the fillers aren't really there to provide any additional strength but rather to help get a better lie of the planks, especially at the bow/stern to help ensure that there are no flat spots which is tendency without them.  I did glue the strips to the balsa just to be sure with PVA without any mishap.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Hi Terry

I used balsa for bow and stern fillers on my 'Supply'. I gave the balsa a few coats of watered down PVA glue after shaping and fitting to try and give it a little more strength and stability. It worked OK. On past builds I always used pine blocks as fillers and I think I will go back to them on my current build. While the pine is a little tougher to shape, I think it provides a more solid base for the planking screws to screw into when holding planks in position while glue is drying. This is particularly the case when dealing with buff bow sections or some of the tight curves which occur at the stern. There is a great tutorial on shaping bow and stern fillers in the planking and framing link on the NRG site. If you haven't read it, I suggest you do.

Steve

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

Thanks all for your replies, I have ordered some titebond glue now, was just using a commercial wood pva glue. Question please, is it better for me to plank before I add the bow facia or should I plank and add the fitting after? The bow fitting is not a perfect fit at the moment and that was direct from the kit. I had problems last night fitting bulkhead 1 as for some reason the bow semi circular fittings were preventing the bulkhead sitting neatly. I placed it where it needed to go but I think I may have done something, I filed things lightly so the bulkhead clicked in, so just a case of squaring it off now. Thanks all

Terry

post-23963-0-15074400-1457542523_thumb.jpeg

Bulkhead 1 looks to be sitting too high, maybe that's the problem you are describing -  suspect the top should be flush with the top edge of the keel former.  Are you going to try cutting rabbet for the planking?  It does make things easier, and would likely be easy to do before you attach the bow by shaping the edge of the keel former.   Good to be underway!

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Thanks Jason, yes it was high on the photo but it is now level with the stern block. Have to admit, I have no idea what cutting a rabbet is, I will have to try and google that one.

Hi Terry

Another thing to check is whether or not the dowel for the two masts slides easily into the two slots provided for them in the keel. From memory one of them was a bit tight on my Supply. Easier to adjust this now than after planking and deck had been fitted. I did not cut a rabbet on my Supply. Nor did I fit the bow piece (part 23) before the first layer of planking. Caldercraft actually sent me the wrong board containing the bow piece and I ended up scratch building one :( I completed the first planking, then cut the planks level down the bow, THEN fitted my home made bow piece. The fit was very flush. I then fitted the second layer of planking.

P.S when you go to square up your bulkheads, using clamps and Lego blocks works well. See pic below. I also colour the edge of the bulkheads black. This allows me to get a more even result when fairing them in.

post-1505-0-96214600-1457555363_thumb.jpg

Bow of my Supply below:

post-1505-0-79389600-1457555845_thumb.jpg

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

That's brilliant thanks hornet, I measured up the bow piece against the ship skeleton and it is not a flush fitting but I can I think get away with rubbing some of the wood off where she sits into the bow. I did wonder about planking first as it would make it quite difficult with the lack of planking experience I have to get good cuts. The Lego and the black edges are a great idea and one I will duly carry out. I'm just doing dry runs now until I get a few bits of Lego. Many thanks for your time.

Terry

Terry, check out the planking tutorial here, link in first post, very helpful indeed.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/439-planking-tutorials/#entry4719

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Terry, if it's any help, Supply was the first ship model I built (and so far the only one I've completed). I used a lot of guesswork, especially when building the stern, as I found the instructions to be pretty wretched. But then I didn't have the benefit of the very helpful people here!

Current build: HMS Pegasus

Previous build: HM Brig Supply

Thanks herb, I am starting to realise that now, I don't know if I am missing something but ven finding the measurements for what the masts will be is confusing me, but hopefully over the weekend I can get the bulkheads in place and squared off which will then get me on my way. That's if there are enough hours in the day left as its fish tank clean weekend which grabs a lot of my free time.

Hi all, after some advice please, I have placed a couple of bow blocks and was wondering if some feedback on if I am doing this right could be made please. The bulkhead positioning was going ok until I realised quickly thankfully that bulkhead 2 was 9 MM. Too short to slot down correctly, thankfully no glue had set so I recovered the mess up. I decided to do the bow blocks before all the bulkheads so I had a decent grip. Thanks indeed for any feedback. I have been reading the site primer on blocks but I went for balsa as it was easier for me to work on.

Terry

post-23963-0-74896800-1457885813_thumb.jpeg

post-23963-0-29681200-1457885826_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Telp

Nice progress Terry, the bulkheads look good, especially if the top of the bulkhead deck profile is flush with the keel former.  I'd suggest taking another look at the filler blocks, its always hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like they may not be flush with the bow former ply pieces which would indicate the needed profile of the bow.  If not, then I'd suggest either bulding these up more, or replacing the the balsa blocks.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Thanks Jason, I think I know what you mean, I've taken a couple of closer side on pics as I don't think the others were clear with the symmetry. I have rounded the bow blocks so they run flush with the wood either side of the main bow fitting which I have not put on yet.

post-23963-0-55183800-1457901143_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Telp

Hi Terry

Personally I find fairing in a challenging part of a build. Sometimes you need to take quite a bit of 'meat' off the edge of a bulkhead to get the lines right. It's hard to tell from just one photo / one angle, but it looks to me like the bottom of bulkhead 2 needs more fairing in so that the planks sit squarely on its edge as they come around onto the filler blocks. At the moment it looks to me as if the plank would only sit on the leading edge of this bulkhead. Have you bent up a plank yet to use as a guide to check if it sits snugly on this bulkhead?

Cheers

Steve

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

Hi Steve, not yet, I was going to start fairing the 2nd and 3rd bulkheads once I had a reasonable fitting at the bow blocks so I had something to work against backwards as such. I've added a pic of the bow with the loose fitting bow piece to show the line as such. I will do some wood as you advise and follow the batten lesson in the primer.

post-23963-0-28731500-1457901678_thumb.jpeg

Hi all, am after some help please. I have finished placing the bulkheads and decided to lay the deck templates to see how they'd fit, the pic shows the center deck section and as you can see, the deck is 5mm wider than the bulkhead end fittings. I must admit I have had issues with the fit of this kit and you can see where I have drawn thin lines with pencil how much needs removing for a decent fit. Should I sand a bit from each side of the deck to make those gaps fit or should I just sand one side. I read also that at some point on the supply some parts are twisted off, are these the end bits of the bulkheads that protrude upwards? Would welcome any help as it may be the deck this size was normal and a bit of work is needed to get the fit. All the bulkheads are square and sited correctly. Thanks

post-23963-0-33238300-1457984821_thumb.jpeg

Hi Terry,

Looks like you've made a great start. If you don't mind, I'll follow along.  If Supply's anything like Pickle (another Caldercraft kit, and the only one I've built), then those protruding bits will be to support the bulkheads as you plank the hull, on Pickle, they come off to allow the deck to go down.

On Pickle, it looks like this (I used a tiny saw blade in an xacto knife to saw as far through the stubs as I could before I snapped them off and filed down the rough patch):

20140724_162048_900_zps590bc1ca.jpg

Hope someone building Supply can help with the question about the false deck fit... it does look somewhat wide.

Rob

Edited by robdurant

I would say that sanding back is your best option here. Just make sure that the Cargo hatches and hole for main mast line up with the keel. Looking at your second photo, this seems to be the case. If they are lined up, you probably only need to sand one side. If not, you will have to centre the main deck then sand both sides. BTW, when I built my Supply, I reduced the width of the main cargo hatch on this centre deck. If you look at the photograph of the model on the front of the kit box, you will notice how close this hatch comes to the rear of the guns. In my opinion it would have been too close for the crew to work them. I reduced its width by a deck plank on each side (about 1cm)

Cheers

Steve

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

Hi rob/Steve

Many thanks indeed, I did wonder if the kit was slightly wider as a way of allowing any small mistakes to be overcome. I was after placing the center deck so I could batten bulkheads 8 and 3 for that deck to sit on. Thanks for the heads up on the hatch Steve, I will have a look at that. I will use the mast centring as a bit part to make sure he deck is central. Thanks guys.