HM Brig Supply by Telp - Caldercraft - 1:64

They look very good! Nice job!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

• 2 months later...

A helpful hint:  Study the stern sections of 18th century sailing ships that had stern windows and you'll find, with very few exceptions, that the base and the top of the windows form an arc that usually coincides with the curvature (camber) of the deck.  It is easier to visualize than actually construct, but I thought I'd throw it out there.  Looking nice!

• 3 weeks later...

Right, back again ship side after a couple of months of having to get my head into a new work stream so I had to set my priorities for a while. Half the ship is second planked so I will be starting that again on Saturday, few lumps and bumps which I am hoping will settle when the sanding down is done. Onwards and sideways as they say ;-)

Current build: Caldercraft 1:64 HM Brig Supply

Finished builds: HMS Endeavours longboat

• 2 months later...

Hi all, been a while due to a number of personal issues which needed my attention, so apologies for not updating a lot more. I am back into the swing of things now, the attached pic is a few weeks old, I am now on the final deck fit of the quarter deck and lots of additions have been done now.

I am keeping the hull in varnish as I like the look, I have found some of the wood in this build pretty dire to be honest but I have soldiered on and she is getting there now. I am going to take a few updated pics later but I wanted to just say I am alive and my build is now back to reality. Thanks all.

post-23963-0-82918900-1477814932_thumb.jpeg

Ok, here are a few now pics of where I am, the lady is in the cradle with a cloth to protect the finish as much as possible, those of you in the know will see some issues with the build and I have done my best to work around them. I have learned a lot from this build and as I move on I am becoming more competent with what I am capable of.

Any ways, I will now update more as I move on and I seriously will be seeking help once the rigging starts.

Thanks all.

post-23963-0-10812700-1477815543_thumb.jpeg

post-23963-0-37404100-1477815561_thumb.jpeg

post-23963-0-86558800-1477815579_thumb.jpeg

post-23963-0-57380100-1477815595_thumb.jpeg

The build has been progressing at a steady pace, I am working now from the bow to the stern, all decking finished as I used cotton as caulking, I would have preferred maybe thinner cotton but once I got going I thought it best to carry on.

I laid the whale planks slightly too high so the dead eyes and strops will need some adjusting when I finally fit them. I decided to stick with just a varnished hull and used a light wood dye on the deck finished with Danish oil then buffed off. I am pleased so far as I made some stupid mistakes at the start and now rectifying those issues. I now have two weeks off work and a week in the Canary Islands so the ship will be asleep for a week or so. Updates again soon.

Thanks all

Terry

post-23963-0-69535700-1478478293_thumb.jpeg

post-23963-0-11554300-1478478312_thumb.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

• 2 months later...

Well it's been a little while since I posted anything of relevance, things came to a grinding halt due to the wife suffering a serious illness over that time, but she's on the mend now.

most of the hull of the ship is finished as such and I am making a start on the masts, I have them off the ship to try and do as much rigging prep prior to installing them. Have had great fun learning to rig small dead eyes and blocks and have made a start on the rat lines and shrouds, all very finicky but a lot of enjoyment. I'll post more pics once I have the masts fitted, but just to say all is going well and taking my time is helping me understand each part as I proceed. Thanks all.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Well work has been on going, have finished the foremast and have used the plans and looked at the great supply blogs in here to get some ideas. I did the mast work off the ship and it was much easier so thanks for the advice. The main yard on the foremast is only pinned for now to allow me to do the shrouds so I can remove it, just placed it there to give me something to use when setting up the mount. Now have the main mast yards to do so hopefully it's all moving along.

terry

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

It's a satin walnut varnish big, put on quite quickly with a French polishing cloth, the gently rubbed down with wire wall before a second coat. Once dry I used a cloth again using Norwegian clear oil, and gently working it in for a few minutes to bring back the satin finish.

the mount base was done in Indian rosewood dye so that it gave a Matt finish as I did not want the hull being visible in the mount.

• 2 weeks later...

Progress continues and I have just finished the forwards shrouds and rat lines, thankfully I left the yards off as it would have been nothing short of a nightmare seeing as these were the first time I'd had a go. Now starting on the main mast rats so more fun to come. So onwards and upwards as they say.

terry

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

The brig is now moving along nicely, a few mishaps that need sorting will be sorted and I am now adding some rigging to the foremast, the stays and backstays. I have rigged the heart blocks as best as I could make out from reading about seizing ect, so hopefully this is reasonably ok. Am loving this build, the ship masters will see issues I'm sure but the learning kerb is wonderful. Pictures added up to now as to where I am. Cheers all.

terry

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Well the brig is now hitting the rigging stage and I have now placed the standing rigging as per the plans, I have been looking at other builds to see any additions others may have worked out for extra rigging and am adding where I can. 

Im now planning the running rigging and have had to place blocks in new positions due to me not thinking ahead. But I'm pleased so far and it's just nice seeing a box of wood become something in the end. Cheers all

terry

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg