H.M.S. Triton Cross Section by Paddy - Scale 1:48

Your estimate on the drying time sounds good. Let it dry good and hard.

I would definitely leave about 1/32" or so extra on the frames, inside and out, to allow for fairing after they are installed.

Russ

While not being able to get to the shop until late yesterday evening I did practice installing my first treenails pinning the stained basswood keel and false keel I replaced as the practice piece. Using bamboo the treenails used where pulled to .037” and inserted after applying glue to the bore. I was amazed how fast the pins would grabbed and not budge. First lesson, don't dally, get the nails home quickly. The second photo is a close up of one of the trimmed and sanded treenails which you are just able to see and pointed to with the pencil. When I start applying the treenails to the cherry frame this afternoon we’ll see what contrast occurs between the cherry and the bamboo. The last photos is the tools I used trying the razor saw and the sprue nippers. Both work well but the razor saw is limited to how close you can get to the base of the treenail depending on the location. I’ll be using .039” treenails for the frames.

Now to research where and how many treenails I should use per futtock. Lunch, then back to the shipyard. Fun! :D

post-2736-0-68806000-1366821833_thumb.jpg

post-2736-0-53104700-1366821906_thumb.jpg

post-2736-0-86280500-1366821936_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paddy

1st Year Apprentice :mellow:

A new member of the NRG as of 8/28/13

Work in Progress -

Triton 28 Gun Frigate Cross Section 

Paddy:

One or two treenails at the end of each futtock is good. If using two, space them side by side. One will be enougn through. They should go right through both layers of the frame. Nice work on the treenails.

Russ

I took a look a Goodwin's book and decided it was to much, then at Davis' The Built Up Ship Model on page 24 and said that's more like it, but I like your suggestion  the best. :)

Thanks for that Russ.

Edited by Paddy

Work in Progress -

Nice show Paddy Keep up your great work.Nice tree nails.  Larry

With Age Comes Wisdom,I'm Still Waiting!

Current Builds:Syren.Triton Cross section.

Completed Builds: Virginia by AL

King of the Mississippi by AL

Constellation by AL

Thanks for that Larry. Treenailedl the first frame yesterday afternoon. Will clean them up this morning then take a look at the results before starting frame "B". 

Edited by Paddy

Work in Progress -

Time to celebrate by knocking back a double tot of Nelson’s blood me thinks; I finished my first frame today. I am pleased with how it turned out with the exception of a couple of the futtock butt joints and having to sand so close to the template lines to even out the forward and aft frame segments. If I had stayed at least 1/32 of an inch proud of the template lines it would have been a big help, which will be the case for the next frame.

After letting the treenails cure over night I trimmed them so I could take the frame to the drum sander for the frame clean up. I then jigged up the frame so I could make sure that the frame mortises allowed the proper fit and squaring up to the keel and keelson. The template paper was then removed and the final sanding of the treenails with a small sanding block took place. The second picture is of the clean frame's forward side or the side that will be see as it's the "C" frame.

I know I’ve said this before but once again I’m really enjoying this. Russ and those who worked with you, thank you very much for giving us the Triton Frigate Cross Section.

post-2736-0-56822200-1366926906_thumb.jpg

post-2736-0-67862500-1366926948_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paddy

Work in Progress -

Well done Paddy. It sure does feel nice when you raise that first one! :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

I quite like that jig as a way to provide horizontal reinforcement. I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this but when putting treenails in chad used an acetate strip (projector paper) with the holes marked in and one frame edge, that way you get the holes the same distance with ease.

Joss

Russ, Pete, Rusty, Joss, and Bob,

Thank you gents for taking a look and your comments. Today the temperature is supposed to reach into the lower sixty’s which means I can put the first sealer layer on the gantry building board. I will take the board outside as I don’t want to subject the mousers to the fumes or me either for that matter. Want to have it ready for the keel attachment and first frame raising. ;)   :dancetl6:

I quite like that jig as a way to provide horizontal reinforcement. I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this but when putting treenails in chad used an acetate strip (projector paper) with the holes marked in and one frame edge, that way you get the holes the same distance with ease.

Joss

Thanks for that Joss and the idea.  Taking my needle epoxied in a dowel that I use for a center punch I marked the treenail locations by the eye-ball method.  But now I’ll make a template off of frame “C” so I can get reasonably close to the same locations for the rest of the frames.  

Hopefully I’ll have enough time in the shop today to start rubber cementing the futtock templates to the cherry for frame “B”.

Edited by Paddy

Work in Progress -

Hi Paddy.

Congrats of compleasion of you first frame. Looks real good.

Treenailes are seldom seen on the real ships. Some carpenters used to put them cross grain to the timber being nailed so the could be seen.

There are a few ships not far from my home and I had the pleasure of being stationed on one.

Please keep the photos comming as its usefull to all that will follow including me after finishing up on my current build.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Thanks for that Antony. Interesting about the treenails and your being station on one of the ships. That must have been a great experience. I could go on and on about areas that I have been too, work or otherwise, and didn't take advantage of it when it came to visiting historic ships. Kicking myself now.

Got the "B" forward and abaft futtocks templates attached to the cherry this evening but I think my wife has plans for tomorrow so milling may have to wait a day or two. :(:)  :)  :)  

Work in Progress -

Happy Birthday Paddy. Hope you have a great day. :cheers:

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Started laying up the “B” frame futtocks today with some minor adjustments to the jig base but the biggest help was the purchase of some different “C” clamps to insure the stability of the jig frame as I work.

I’ve started the process with the abaft futtocks turned up so that I can make sure that futtocks are in alignment and to make it easy to make adjustments before actually applying glue to the butt joints. I’ll let this dry overnight and then tomorrow I’ll flip the frame over, templates lines down, before laying up the forward futtocks. As Russ suggests when finally pulled from the jig you have templates on both sides of the frame to aid you in any cleanup you wish to do. Also gives you a guide for placing you treenail holes from both sides.

Now, the rest of the squadron may have different approaches to their frame building sequences and this is just the way I seem to have settled in. That could well change for me by the next frame as these are the first frames I’ve ever built. ^_^

post-2736-0-95193500-1367276161_thumb.jpg

P.S. Here’s the birthday ice-cream cake Annie surprised me with Saturday. Wish I could have shared it with the whole squadron. :dancetl6: 

post-2736-0-61597200-1367276989_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paddy

Work in Progress -

Belated Happy Birthday and well done on the frames.

Ummmm that cake sure looks good too! :36: :36:  

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Having reached a goal with my anchor pool yesterday I ordered a Byrnes 4” Table Saw with some extras like Slitting Blades. Being just a wee bit excited about it I thought I would share my good fortune with the squadron. :dancetl6:  Looks like I plan on continuing with the ship building and especially scratch building for some time.

You all have heard me say this before but I’m thoroughly enjoying this experience. :)

Work in Progress -